Dan Harrison
Forum Replies Created
-
Yep, Rb1368 is completely right.
I’ve tried to be clear in the FAQ (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-portfolio/faq/) about ‘What are the different ShrinkTheWeb account types?’, which talks about the intermediate page. Unfortunately this is a limitation from STW, not a bug.
Regards
DanYep, xcai2009 is right. Also, check that the settings are also set to show the thumbnail size that you want.
Dan
Are you using WP Portfolio? http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-portfolio/
What you’re describing could be something different…
Dan
Hello,
My plugin (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-portfolio/) has no requirement for portfolio in the URL… which leaves me thinking you’re talking about a different plugin.
just a tip, you really should have created a new thread for this question, as it’s unrelated to the original post. It just confuses things otherwise.
Dan Harrison
[ Signature moderated. ]Forum: Hacks
In reply to: Alternative to multiple Custom Fields?Custom fields are definitely the easiest way to add dynamic data per page/post.
If, for example, you had a product per post, then custom fields would be the easiest way to add meta data, but having a dedicated database table would be the best way to add data.
With some custom code, you can compact the custom fields into a smaller interface (as each custom field does take up a lot of room). And with more custom code, you can create/add to the database table like I mention above.
However, as long as it works and you’re happy with it, custom fields are fine. Even if you notice a performance hit, using a caching plugin will reduce that performance hit to virtually nil.
Dan Harrison
[ Signature moderated. ]Hi kickoff3pm
Yeah, STW keep making changes, but it’s tough, as what they do is a natively expensive thing to do. Hence they have to protect their quality of service.
There are other thumbnail services, but services I’ve used before have since gone bust. STW is the only one that’s been persistently developing it’s service (and not going out of business).
You can use my plugin without the need of the STW service. You can upload your own thumbnails, and the plugin will resize them for you.
Dan
@kletskater – despite the plugin not being updated for nearly a year, the plugin is working 100% fine. I’m running it myself on 2 websites too. Only yesterday I had someone upgrade their plugin to the latest version, which completely fixed their issues.
@hewizard This original issue was resolved ages ago. This support forum is for the WP Portfolio plugin, not a theme. So the problems you’re experiencing are different to the original poster.
Technically, you’d need to contact the theme developer, rather than me (despite being the developer of the plugin), as the developer of the theme should be supporting you.
I’m aware that there are a couple of themes that have my plugin hacked in to it, I’m not sure if this is one of them.
Contact me via email my website (WordPress Doctors: http://www.wpdoctors.co.uk) with your FTP details, and a WP admin login. I will spend 5 minutes taking a look at the issue free of charge.
If I can fix the issue within 5 minutes for free, I will. If I need to spend longer fixing it, I’ll offer you the choice of paying my fee to resolve the issue for you.
Kind Regards
DanHello.
Have you tried deleting the cache directory completely? The plugin should then create the directory for the cache.
Also, try changing the fetch method in the settings. Your host might block cURL (web) requests outside of the server.
Kind Regards
DanHave a chat with STW directly, as there are no error messages being returned. It might be a matter of setting up your security details properly.
Regards
DanHello,
Try enabling the debug mode to see what errors there are fetching thumbnails.
Kind Regards
DanCould you try deactivating and re-activating the plugin please? Doing so should update the database tables.
Thanks
DanHello, I had no intention of offending, I was merely being to the point. I apologise, I did mis-read your comment about STW.
I have tried updating the documentation for the plugin to highlight the change in behaviour with STW, but I’ve been having technical issues with WordPress.org and updating the plugin code.
I agree that STW is really expensive. There’s no need to disable the STW functionality, as you can upload a custom thumbnail with the plugin already. It’s called Custom Thumb URL. Adding that field will automatically override the STW functionality. I think I might make the docs clearer to state that STW accounts are not needed to use the plugin.
Again, apologies for the confusion. I can see how what I said could make you feel like that, but I was genuinely trying to be helpful.
Kind Regards
DanAs stated earlier, this link has nothing to do with the plugin. Also, this issue disappears if you opt for the paid version of STW. There are other portfolio plugins, so just try one of those if you’re not happy.
Regards
DanThanks for the suggestion. I’ll add it to the next release.
Kind Regards
DanExcellent, glad you sorted it!
Dan