Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 244 total)
  • blazemiskulin, who owns the post that the comment is on? If you have a level 10 admin account, and the comment is under a post owned by that user, then your level 9 account won’t have permission to delete the comment.

    Edit wp-content/themes/default/sidebar.php

    If you make the theme files writable by your webserver, you can edit them within the Theme Editor under the Presentation area.

    Right, this is not any kind of “bug” in WP. If you can’t trust a user to not publish “unsafe” code, then you probably shouldn’t be giving them post permissions.

    That said, it would probably be trivial to whip up a plugin that would filter post content through kses for users below a certain level, just as comments currently are.

    Hrmmm…. cvincent: I’m not sure if you answered the question I intended to ask (I might have been unclear). When you edit the previously published post, and you are in the “Write Post” screen, is the word “compress” showing up there?

    Curious about the similar problems with the word ‘curl’. Since ‘compress’ and ‘curl’ are both words that also have technical meanings within PHP, or generally on *nix hosts, it could be something that’s not actually WordPress-specific.

    Could there be some relation to the previous issue with PHP/Zend version mismatches? Maybe even a host with some mod_security rules that are too general? The more I think about it, the more I think that this could be the right trail to follow.

    Next question: if you go back to edit a post with the word “compress” in it, does the word show up in the edit view? In other words, is it still in your original text and it’s only being filtered on output?

    What plugins do you have active?

    Here’s a quick rundown of how it’s done on Ping-O-Matic:


    WordPress Address: http://pingomatic.com/blog
    Blog Address: http://pingomatic.com/
    Permalink Structure: /blog/%year%/%monthnum%/%day%/%postname%/

    Notice how the two address fields and permalink structure work together.

    Hopefully, this will get you started.

    Ryan mentioned in the wp-hackers mailing list that he uses the ‘wp_list_pages()’ template call in his menu to auto-generate the list of pages. This is not in the current templates unless you add it yourself.
    In my case, I manually added links to my pages into the Link Manager. So I still do two steps, but I don’t have to edit my templates every time I want to add a new ‘public’ page.

    It would still be handy to be able to use php in the post. Sounds like a plugin might be created to do just that.

    Yes, I was wanting that functionality, as well. I want to put my “contact” page (which has PHP-driven email form) under the control of WP. I’ve been pondering the possibility of writing a plugin to allow this. It really wouldn’t be that hard, unless the other content filters mangle things in some way that I’m not thinking of right now.
    But in my case, I disable the standard post filters and compose all my posts in XHTML anyways. So that wouldn’t be a problem for me.

    Wow. That’s a pretty impressive flamefest to have risen up in just over 24 hours.
    How do these things start? Like most other senseless arguments, I suppose: by people jumping to conclusions.
    At least 95% of this thread could have been avoided if the originator had not assumed that an adoption of the Kubrick visual style meant bringing along the other elements, as well. Okay, everybody: if you have not already seen the movie The Bad News Bears, go rent it now. Pay attention to the part about the word “assume”:

    When you “assume”, you make an “ASS” out of “U” and “ME”.

    That’s not aimed at anybody in particular, and it’s not intended to be a blind insult. But that saying has been illustrated particularly well in this thread, by more than one person.
    Salient points here:

    • Even the developers do not yet know what form the new WP design will take. All we know so far is that Matt is interested in basing the visual design on Kubrick.
    • The developers consider the affect of any changes to the WP core very carefully before committing them. This has always been the case, and it always should be.
    • There are other designs (or “layouts”, or whatever) out there that are also good and useful. Some of them may be “better” than Kubrick in some senses. It’s almost completely subjective.
    • These forums are not the place for pissing contests. Yes, insults have been exchanged here. If you want to air your opinions on those matters, do it elsewhere, please. The best thing would probably be to try to have a civilized email exchange, keeping in mind that not everybody is on the same schedule as you. Allow ample time for responses. If your exchange results in you learning something useful for the community, share it, by all means.
    • “So-and-so is a dickhead,” is not useful information for the community.
    • “There are some flaws in this design when viewing in Browser X, and here is how to fix them,” is.
    • Another old saying is, “You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.” I don’t know who the hell wants to catch flies, but we could definitely use more honey around here. Obviously, what I’m trying to get across is, “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.”

    Now, can we all get back to making WordPress better than it already is?

    Maybe some from here will be useful:
    Mazeguy Smilies

    The post ids are auto-generated by mysql. This is simply the way that mysql handles auto-increment fields internally. It’s not under the control of WordPress.
    There may be a way to get mysql to reset the counter, but I don’t know for sure, offhand.

    Matt updated it to 200 bytes in CVS this morning.

    shanebee,
    Didn’t you see the Template editor in the admin screens? As long as you set the proper file permissions, you’ll be able to edit your site’s files from within WordPress.

    Forum: Fixing WordPress
    In reply to: RSS feed problem

    Can you define “not working”? I can access your RSS2 feed just fine, and my aggregator is happy with it.

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 244 total)