Dougal Campbell
Forum Replies Created
-
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Mac Software?Adriaan (the ecto developer) informed me about the category problems yesterday, and I was able to track them down and fix them. I commited more fixes to xmlrpc.php this morning.
I still have some timestamp issues to work out, but the primary ecto issues should be ironed out now.Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Lots of problems with categoriesI’m in contact with Adriaan about this issue. I’m working on some bugfixes on the WordPress side to clear this up, and I’ve suggested a workaround that Adriaan can use on the ecto side of things until I get the category bugs hammered out.
Forum: Themes and Templates
In reply to: Tableless CalendarIf a calendar is just a list of dates (and not tabular data), then the columns won’t matter. So you might as well get rid of the headers for ‘Sun’, ‘Mon’, ‘Tues’, etc. And it won’t matter if there aren’t exactly 7 days per row in your output.
Right?
I’m not trying tell anyone that they shouldn’t do a tableless calendar. I’m just saying that there’s nothing inherently wrong with using a table for a calendar. It is tabular data.
Also, using a table for a calendar doesn’t invalidate the idea of a tableless site. It’s using tables for the overall page layout that’s a bad idea.Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Updated php breaking WP?I’m running under PHP 4.3.4 as well. Most likely, something in your system’s php.ini file changed with the upgrade. You might want to make sure that safe_mode didn’t get turned on. Or if you need to to be on, make sure that the related options are set properly so that they don’t interfere with WP.
Forum: Requests and Feedback
In reply to: An XML-RPC API That Supports Categories?I’ve committed several bugfixes to the XML-RPC support. It’s in the newest nightly build.
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Mac Software?I got in touch with the ecto developer, and based on his notes (plus my own observations once I started digging back into the code), I’ve fixed a whole slew of bugs in the WordPress XML-RPC support.
Also, LaughingLizard let me remote control his Mac for a little while, so I was able to install ecto and give it a quick test. Things seemed to work fine for posting and editing.
Matt has posted a new nightly with the changes. Give it a whirl and let me know how it works for you!Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: wp-login.phpGood catch, Otsukare. Fix committed to CVS.
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Mac Software?It would be nice if ecto told you which method it was trying to call.
Could you try something for me? Edit xmlrpc.php and turn logging on ($xmlrpc_logging = 1;). You’ll need to make sure that your web server has permissions to write to the file “xmlrpc.log”. Then recreate the problem, and get the resulting log file to me (make sure that your password isn’t in the log first).Forum: Themes and Templates
In reply to: Tableless CalendarEric Meyer has never said that you shouldn’t use tables for a calendar. He implemented a table-less calendar as a proof-of-concept, and nothing more. He has said as much.
The best way to future-proof a web site is to use semantic markup, especially for main layout. For tabular data, tables are the correct semantics. I posted on my blog on this subject about a year ago.Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Guiding SearchBotsThe $p variable will contain the post_id when the current view is narrowed to a specific post. So the code above would tell robots to index individual post views, but not the main index page where there are multiple posts being shown.
Forum: Requests and Feedback
In reply to: REQ: postpreviewThe next release will have post preview capability. All you have to do is switch to the Advanced Editing screen. At any time, you can click “Save and Continue Editing”, and the preview will be updated.
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: TextPattern ImportTry taking a look at
wp-admin/import-textpattern.php.Forum: Installing WordPress
In reply to: I forgot to write down the pssword, what should IUse another database tool (such as phpmyadmin) to edit your users table and reset the password.
Forum: Requests and Feedback
In reply to: Work being done on the XMLRPC interface?I’m the developer who does most of the work on the XML-RPC API support. Unfortunately, I don’t have access to a Mac, so I can’t debug with NetNewsWire to determine why it has problems.
I do most my testing against w.bloggar (for testing the Blogger API) and Zempt (for testing the MovableType API). I know that there have been problems with posting from NewzCrawler, and I even gave the NewzCrawler developers access to my WP test blog, but we still haven’t worked out the source of the problems.Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Bad trackback link. mod_rewrite problem ?TrackBack links are not meant to be viewed in the browser. They are only used for blog-to-blog linking. Matt has some notes about this, which could arguably be called a flaw in the design of TrackBack. PingBack is more intuitive, since it doesn’t require any special setup or interaction, but doesn’t have the capability to carry excerpt information, by default. It would be nice if there was an easily implemented protocol that could combine the best features of both systems.