Sebastian
Forum Replies Created
-
No, I was just looking at an old revision and not the latest one. Everything fine now!
Update: Great to see now a Javascript library is used (was looking at an old revision before). Many thanks and please mark this one now as resolved!
@ian: Sure, I’m happy to help wherever I can. I’m maintaining a WP plugin and I also used this PHP QR Code library before, so it is really just a matter of a few hours to get everything together!
Unfortunately, Google down and API changes is not a joke, have experienced that several times in the last 5 years.
Anyway, your decision, but please state clearly on the documentation section that the secret gets shared with Google to generate the API key. I think that’s the absolute minimum you have to do so that the users of the plugin can make a decision on their own whether that’s important for them.
I really hope the post by @mbrsolution is meant as satire π
Anyway, I still don’t understand what advantages you have from using the Google API. Instead, I see several advantages from using a library on the server even if we totally ignore the security implications for a minute:
- You don’t need to adapt to possible Google API changes.
- Creating the QR code is faster as you don’t have a HTTP roundtrip.
- You don’t need to prepare your code for situations when the API is not available.
- You only implement the QR code library usage once (it’s 3 lines of code).
So even if the library is unmaintained, it shouldn’t be a big deal as it does the job, the QR code algorithm isn’t changing and the library will most likely be compatible with many future PHP versions.
Well, it is a much better idea then sharing a secret with an external service. Also, the library works and there are recent updates on the github page I linked above.
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: [Google+ Crossposting] Posts not showingIt’s most probably a problem with your Google API key as requesting those posts works, see:
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: [Google+ Crossposting] Posts not showingPlease post your G+ profile URL. Keep in mind that you can only import public posts, but not private ones.
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: [Google+ Crossposting] Posts imported again?I’m still unsure why this happens, but I now release version 1.3.0, which keeps track of every single post ID. Now, this problem could only happen again if Google changes the IDs of the posts after they were imported to your blog, but I doubt they do that.
If the double import happened to you, you might want to take a look at the Bulk Delete plugin (http://wordpress.org/plugins/bulk-delete/), which you can use to easily get rid of those posts, e.g. if you always import them to a specific category. This is of course much easier than manually deleting all those posts.
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: [Google+ Crossposting] Posts imported again?Could it be that you deleted the content of the “options” table?
Anyway, I will add in a next version a fallback mechanism to prevent previous activities to be imported again.
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: [Google+ Crossposting] Posts imported again?This is really shit, but very hard to debug. I just hope Google hasn’t silently changed something in their API like that old posts are getting new IDs…
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: [Google+ Crossposting] Posts imported again?To me it only happened once. Either it is related to the update to WP 3.7 or G+ changed the IDs of the posts for some reason. Can’t really think of any other reason, why this should start failing now.
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: [Google+ Crossposting] How is information posted on website.The plugin checks your G+ profile regularly. If it discovers a new public activity, it will automatically create a new WordPress post with the content of your G+ post.
You can check my website to see all recent G+ posts I imported:
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: [Google+ Crossposting] Thumbnail for postMmmh, seems to be a very custom requirement. Not sure how to solve that. But I will take a look when updating the plugin again.
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: [Google+ Crossposting] Thumbnail for postmarbak, I’m not really sure what you are looking for. Can you give me some more pointers?