WatchCount.com
Forum Replies Created
-
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: web forwarding help neededFYI: Google just released another tool that can be used in the burdensome task of moving a site.
-WCC
Forum: Requests and Feedback
In reply to: Codex needs to be updatedsubstitute:
The error messages you got are likely due to something else, not a problem with WP 2.9. The cause of those messages is usually when a coder accidentally adds an extra line, space, or character after the trailing
?>in their code. You should backtrack any updates you’ve done recently (not “rollback”, but “look over”), whether the Comments Off solution you tried, as well as anything else you edited recently, and look for extra characters that might’ve been inserted in/after your code. (See Coding Standards tip ‘No Shorthand PHP’ here in the Codex.)–WCC
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: Plugin stopped workingWait, first question: If you were to empty out the function shorten_url() and replace the contents with something simple like echoing “Hello World!” or just die() (the latter probably not recommended in this case) — is your function even being called? If not, then something’s up with the add_action hook or thereabouts. If so, then the problem is within your code.
I guess the above is obvious; I’m just not sure if shorten_url() is even being called.
-WCC
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Plugin QuestionDepends what kind of plugins you’re referring to. There are many thousands of ’em out there!
Maybe you’re referring to sidebar widgets that appear on each page?
–WCC
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: ColorPicker is not a function….Just a workaround suggestion here: an external color code lookup site I like.
–WCC
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: Best Way to Advise Users to Install Plugins…(polite bump)…
-WCC
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: Conditional Tags for Admin PagesSo, you’re trying to figure out a way to determine if the current page view-run of WordPress has the blogger looking at either a post or a new post within the admin area?
Hmmm… Not sure about a conditional tag (there could certainly be one). I’d say try to parse the URL for certain terms, like the ones you just mentioned (post.php, etc.). I’m not sure how far back in WP versions those filenames are standard, though.
Also concurrently test for is_admin() to at least confirm that the user is logged in to the admin area.
-WCC
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Remove Right Sidebar?Sounds like it’s part of your theme. Have you tried a new theme?
Also, have you checked the Widgets screen in your admin/dashboard area? There you may be able to drag off the parts of the sidebar that you dislike.
-WCC
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: URL in address bar not updating when going to different pagesThis sounds like a typical effect of masking a URL redirect. Do you know if you’re using URL masking for your domain name? Using masking effectively means that your blog is appearing within an invisible frame on the page.
-WCC
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: How to use Subversion properly with WordPress, need help…Hmmmm… Sorry, I don’t understand much about these things (having only used SVN as a single developer on a single WordPress site). Did you check out that SVN client I suggested?
I remember when I was learning about Toroise SVN there was mention of “merging” functions that seemed to be meant for integrating the development work of multiple programmers. Have you read about that?
-WCC
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Apparent CSS problem when inserting eBay advertI went to your site to check it out, but unfortunately my browser (IE8) kinda flipped out. I couldn’t close the window or navigate to a new page. Even the x-box and Alt-F4 didn’t work (it would just beep – no closure). I had to use the Task Manager to close IE. Maybe it’s a problem with my browser/computer – but I’ve never seen that kind of thing before. (And I browse with Javascript off, too.) … Is there anything “funky” on your page that you know of? Anyone else reading this have the same issue?
Again, I don’t mean to point any fingers here, and I’m not sure where the problem lies, but before I dig deeper to help troubleshoot this CSS problem of yours, I’m kinda afraid to revisit that page until I know what’s up with my browser…
-WCC
Forum: Everything else WordPress
In reply to: Close WordPress.org forum account loginNot sure… But why close it? For one thing, it’s also your WP login for other parts of the site, like the plugins area.
-WCC
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Using “php include” in the body of the postYou can do it if you install the Exec-PHP plugin. It’s a pretty popular plugin and should get you where you want to go.
-WCC
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: Upgrading Plugins – How?1) It turns out to be true, with 1-click upgrade as well. This is for plugins listed in the WP Plugin Directory.
-WCC
Forum: Everything else WordPress
In reply to: Email me when my post is replied to ?I was wondering the same thing, but I don’t think it’s natively possible. I think most people put the thread’s RSS link (from the right sidebar) into their feed reader and get notified that way. Something I haven’t tried: taking that feed and dropping it into FeedBurner for email notifications? Maybe worth a try.
Personally, I just Favorite these such threads and check my (WP) Favorites every so often.
-WCC