WatchCount.com
Forum Replies Created
-
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: How to use Subversion properly with WordPress, need help…When you say “my repository” do you mean a local repository? And what’s the use case here – using SVN for plugin development, or for your WP installation itself?
I don’t have time to look through the checklist, but maybe this free-or-paid SVN client has some kind of polling synchronization feature?
-WCC
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: cant see pluginsI haven’t used either of those, but I wonder if you need to check your Widgets screen – and drag the widget(s) to your sidebar. Have you tried that?
-WCC
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: What do the spikes in the Stats’ stats correlate to?That’s a page for a specific WordPress plugin called “WordPress.com Stats” – it seems to be made by the WordPress people, but technically it’s showing stats for itself as a plugin, just like any other WP plugin.
I’d venture to guess that the spikes are when they release updates to the plugin, and users get notified within their plugin admin screen to auto-upgrade at the click of a link. Maybe other promos happen too, to alert users to the new release (a website landing page, email notifications, etc.).
I wonder about the “spike pairs”. Maybe the 2nd spike in a pair is on the weekend when people get around to maintaining their blogs???
-WCC
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: How long does it take for a new plugin to be approved?Hey Jonas:
Yes, I got my plugin approved – probably within a couple days. I then took some time to learn about Subversion and eventually got everything up and running. So far so good.
Sorry to hear you’re still in limbo there. I just clicked the 2 URLs you provided at the top of this thread and they seem to be bad links at this point. Sounds like your requests didn’t get approved – that would be my guess.
Before you submit a new request, I’d recommend that you double-check all the items on this WP Plugin Info page to make sure your plugin passes muster.
Also, take some time to put up a webpage/site of your own that “houses” the plugin. In other words, your plugin should have its own homepage and existence outside of the WP Plugin Dir. It should summarize the plugin: overview, features, download, etc. Lorelle VanFossen offers a lot of helpful/generous support in this area (and many other WP plugin issues). That plugin page that you build I think is the URL that you’ll include in your official WP Plugin Dir. submission/request.
Let us know how it goes.
-WCC
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: PHP Variable for current URLJust wondering if anyone knows of an easy way to take this 1 step further: the full URL of the page that is currently being displayed.
Thanks!
-WCC
Forum: Installing WordPress
In reply to: browser incompatiblity?Congrats! π
-WCC
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: Saving Plugin PreferenceYes, there definitely is. When I first needed to (learn to) do the same thing, I was a little worried I would need to brush up on mysql commmands. Then I found that there was a layer of abstration that WordPress introduced to make it easier to write to the DB – something like the $wpdb class (in PHP) that gave easy access to the DB.
Then I discovered that they made it even easier for reading/writing/saving plugin preferences to the WPDB without even needing to use objects/classes/etc. Just a simple function, get_option(), retrieves options from the WP DB that you wrote with update_option(). The format is pretty much a simple name-value pair.
As you learn about and play with these functions, here are 3 tips for good implementation:
1) update_option() is great for both adding a new option, and updating one – usually no need to bother with the add_option() function at all.
2) Instead of writing many options to the DB for all of your plugin’s settings, store all of your settings in 1 array, then store that 1 array as 1 simple option in the WP DB.
3) When your plugin is uninstalled/deleted, run delete_option() to remove the option(s) from the WP DB.
-WCC
Forum: Installing WordPress
In reply to: browser incompatiblity?Did you check the CSS
<link...>line in your webpage? If you feel comfortable doing so, you can post the URL here and we can have a closer look. In short, if it’s not working when viewed in several browsers, then it’s not a browser issue, but probably some HTML coding bug on the website.-WCC
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: Google Translator does not workWhich version are you using? For example, Google has a translation website, a translation portion of their toolbar, and the new translator toolbar itself.
-WCC
I Googled that error message, and ‘WordPress’, and found these 2 WP forum threads that seemed to have helpful answers:
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/225278?replies=2
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/243548?replies=2Good luck,
-WCC
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: How long does it take for a new plugin to be approved?Jonas:
Actually, I just submitted my first plugin request yesterday, so it’s only been 1 day for me. I’m sure the WP approvers must be a number of volunteers kindly donating their time to review submissions, and given the holidays (here in the US), maybe things might take a little longer than usual.
Sounds like you may be at the same step that I’m at: submitted a request, but haven’t been granted access to svn yet. Correct? In which case, the readme.txt file hasn’t been uploaded/submitted yet, so I guess that’s not even an issue at this point.
1 thing, too: I was under the impression that the Plugin URL we supply during the application process is a link to a home/landing page on our site with information about the plugin — not a .zip file itself. But, I could be wrong about that.
adamt07: Thanks for your input on this process! I’m sorta wondering where along the way you had that “little trouble” — sounds like it was with using svn, no? If that’s the case, then it would seem to be after the approval stage that Jonas and I are currently at.
As for actually using Subversion (svn), I’ve got these URLs in my notes to review, once I have about an hour or 2 to sit down and really absorb it all — and of course have been granted svn access.
http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Subversion
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/about/svn/
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/about/faq/
http://subversion.tigris.org/
http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html-WCC
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: Automatic translation possible?Yes, there is (sort of). Google has a new feature – the Translation Toolbar – that you can install on your site and it will automatically pop up for the user if their browser’s language isn’t the same as your site’s language. (Then they just click 1 button to translate your page before their eyes.)
Admittedly, I’ve only tested it on one of my sites (not blogs) and liked it — but didn’t implement it for lack of time for thorough testing. It’s on my to-do list for another day.
And so, I haven’t used it on a WP blog yet, but I would imagine it’s easy to include. For example, since it’s just a snippet of Javascript code, there must be a plugin somewhere that allows you to easily insert any snippet of code into your WP pages, so that you can add this. You can of course edit your Theme files yourself, if you feel comfortable.
Not that this is not the Google Toolbar Translation feature — that’s part of the toolbar that a user chooses to install on their browser.
Check it out: the first item here.
-WCC
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: How long does it take for a new plugin to be approved?Jonas,
I’m not completely sure what the problem is here, but I was under the impression that WP reviews your request before, not after, you are granted access to a svn repository. Frankly though, I’m just relaying this idea from this page.
Judging from the looks of your WP Plugin Dir entry, it doesn’t look like you have included a readme.txt file with the various subsections and so forth. I haven’t used svn myself (yet), but I wonder if you should double-check your check-in procedure and make sure your source files are situated properly. I got the sense that once a developer placed all of their files into svn properly, within 15 minutes the plugin would automatically – and fully – appear in the WP Plugin Dir without further WP approval. But I could certainly be wrong.
-WCC
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: Question Re: Auto TaggerSince 2.8.6 is new, it’s likely that if you find an auto-tagger that is documented to work fine with 2.8.5 or 2.8.4 (or less), it’ll likely work fine with 2.8.6. These last couple WP upgrades were mostly security patches, and so plugin developers (and users/voters) just haven’t had a chance to revise compatibility lists.
-WCC
Forum: Installing WordPress
In reply to: Addon DomainsYou might be in the same situation as in this thread. I shared some ideas there. The fact that you registered the domain names with different registrars shouldn’t make any difference.
Good luck,
-WCC