WatchCount.com
Forum Replies Created
-
Forum: Installing WordPress
In reply to: New to WordPressHi SimonFMP:
I have general advice here…
Firstly, you’ll in a common situation – a new user wanting to build a WP site with very common needs that shouldn’t require any coding. There are most certainly tons of tutorials on the web about how to get started. Google around and I’m sure you’ll find step-by-step instructions on various parts of the process.
Ok, so you have a domain name. Cool. I’d say next find a web host (such as your domain registrar) and be sure they offer a 1-click install package for WordPress. Many do. You shouldn’t need to have to muck around with any coding since your needs should be able to be easily fulfilled with things already off-the-shelf.
As you get started, I’d say don’t worry about Photoshop right now. Get the infrastructure together first – the web hosting, the WP install (1-click), learn the basic configuration (such as turning off comments), and tie it into your domain. Make sample posts, edit them, etc… You should be able to do all of this.
Then, you can begin your search for pleasing Themes, whether free or paid. There are many out there. Only after you’ve conducted an exhaustive search should you consider building your own theme. That requires coding, but you can hire someone to do it for you. All depends on how you like the many Themes already out there. When you find a Theme you like, installing it takes only a few clicks. WP just keeps getting easier and easier to use.
Then you’ll want to hunt down an audio player — this’ll likely come in the form of a plugin. There are thousands of plugins, some paid, many free. Many are part of WP’s own Plugin Directory, while others are independent.
Ok, that’s it for now… π
Good luck,
-WCC
Forum: Your WordPress
In reply to: WordPress SEO TutorialNice tutorial – thanks for sharing!
If you haven’t done so already, be sure to post about it in the Your WordPress forum, too.
-WCC
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: Hiding a Div from an ExcerptJust document your mods carefully for yourself so you can re-apply after any WP upgrade that you do.
Or, convert the mods into a simple plugin, and you probably won’t need to re-add the custom code for each WP upgrade.
-WCC
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: newbie needs help repairing a misdirected home pageWould you be able to post the URLs involved here? (Feel free to mask out the domain for privacy if you like.)
For example, I’m guessing you mean:
http://www.MySite.com/ <- problem page http://www.MySite.com/realhome.php <- looks ok-WCC
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Got addthis_url = ”; addthis title in a postThat’s the code for the popular AddThis widget. We have one in the footer of our website. Did you add such a widget to your blog recently?
-WCC
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: Best Poll Plugin Without Using Widgets?Hmmm… Usually dragging in a sidebar widget is easier manually cutting code into a template file. Am I understanding you correctly that the latter is what you’re trying to do?
You should check out Google Docs. You can make polls with Google Docs/Spreadsheets. I think it’s ultimately a Javascript snippet you’d drop on your webpage, or in your case into a theme template file. Just Google “google docs polls” and you’ll see lots of tutorials on how to get it done.
-WCC
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: My blog looks fine in firefox but aligns left in IEI’m from Oregon, yay!
I’m looking at your site in both FF3.5 and IE8 and they look mostly the same. The Javascript product widget in the middle-top has some minor differences, but I don’t see any glaring alignment problem.
What version of IE are you using? Have you tried BrowserShots.org (free) to see how it would look in other browsers?
-WCC
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: My site looks great on Mozilla, but not on IE, please helpHmmmm… My inclination would be to blame IE, but the problem exists in IE8, a version of IE that I’ve learned to respect.
Have you looked around the theme author’s site? In the sidebar there are some support, FAQ, forums, etc. options…
-WCC
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: Hiding a Div from an ExcerptI have half an idea here. Maybe someone can chime in with the other half.
An easy way to hide content with CSS is to add “display:none;”. So, if you poke around the CSS structure of WordPress, I’d bet there’s a class or id used within the excerpt you could piggyback with your adjustment.
-WCC
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: Plugin stopped workingWell, here’s the nitty-gritty on changes to 2.9. There’s also the Trac history, but I never had the time to learn about the WP bug tracking system, so I’m not sure (yet) how to dig through there.
Hmmmm…. There was something about post types and metadata with 2.9 that is new. Maybe those changes affect the post publishing hooks?
I still have to sink my teeth into 2.9, so sorry I’m not of too much help at this point.
-WCC
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: How long does it take for a new plugin to be approved?Jonas: How is it coming along?
-WCC
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: How to use Subversion properly with WordPress, need help…No prob.
Good luck!
-WCC
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Apparent CSS problem when inserting eBay advertHuh. Ok, I guess my ‘puter is on the fritz…
-WCC
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: PHP Variable for current URLThanks for that acafourek.
Just wondering, is there a built-in WP function that does it for WP-specific URLs? I built and used something similar to that WebCheatSheet one, but sometimes it returns WP URLs that end in .ico, .gif, etc. and not the main page URL.
-WCC
Hmmmm… I think WP is still able to be installed on PHP v4 platforms.
-WCC