Okay, I may have it dealing with curl again and have restarted the plugin from scratch and we appear to be behaving better so far. So make sure you have curl installed and apache dealing with it sensibly, then deactivate/re-activate the plugin and force-recheck all links. Make sure in the debug menu at that point that it’s actually using curl and not snoopy.
It is still failing here even though we are on php5. It does say that it is using snoopy (as above) which comments on another thread indicated will always fail on https. But we have php5-curl and libcurl3 installed, so I don’t know what’s up with that either.
I mean, at the moment, it’s completely useless and I’ve disabled special formatting because I have over 1300 links falsely tabbed as broken across five years of blog entries.
I neglected to specify: this is happening across multiple installs, both network and standalone, but all on the same server.