Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 replies - 61 through 75 (of 78 total)
  • Thread Starter solarbird

    (@solarbird)

    Dropping a note to say that while my work has been kinda crazy lately so I haven’t been blogging so much, I haven’t seen any issues with the big perf hits in my light blog usage since I moved to system cron, which is essentially as you’d expect. If I do see anything, I’ll update again.

    Also thanks for filing the pull request, I do think it’s the kind of thing that should get addressed since obviously a lot of people can’t move to system cron. ^_^

    Thread Starter solarbird

    (@solarbird)

    (I went ahead and handed it over to system cron regardless. I’ll keep you updated. Unless that was wrong in which case let me know so I can undo it lol xD )

    Thread Starter solarbird

    (@solarbird)

    We’ve never changed it off wp-cron for any of our (several) wordpress installs; we’ve never had a need to before, including while federated with the pre-1.0 version of ActivityPub plugin.

    If Federation tasks can now be very slow, I certainly can see how that’d make moving to system cron for that would be a thing. Do I need to do that?

    (And is this still the best way to do it?)

    Thread Starter solarbird

    (@solarbird)

    …unfortunately, I’m still seeing the massive (if highly intermittant) performance hammering. The blog just hangs for… I haven’t timed it. I’d guess at least a full minute.

    Thread Starter solarbird

    (@solarbird)

    Also! Site Health is no longer incorrectly reporting an issue with well-known so thanks for fixing that too ^_^

    Thread Starter solarbird

    (@solarbird)

    I got 1.01 installed! I had to unfollow and re-follow the account, but once I did that, Federation definitely worked again! 😀

    The unfollow and re-follow requirement may be a part of my experiments in trying to see if I could make it work while still in the broken 1.0 state – it said my “follow” was still pending approval – so hopefully all my other followers won’t have to do that.

    Anyway, if there’s anything you’d like me to test and report back about, let me know. Thanks!

    Thread Starter solarbird

    (@solarbird)

    Yes, the sidebar shows my Mastodon-native account, which is @moira@mastodon.murkworks.net and _not_ the same as the blog account, @solarbird@solarbird.net – these are completely distinct entities. I was trying to reply to a pre-version-1.0 properly-federated blog post from @moira@mastodon.murkworks.net, to see if – as in the past – it would get federated to that blog post from @solarbird@solarbird.net. It did not.

    (The comment still hasn’t these many hours later, and following my blog similarly hasn’t started working, so I do not think it’s likely to be some kind of a backlog issue.)

    As for the intermittent performance issue: at this exact moment, no, but it’s only occasional regardless. I suspect but do not know it’s related to the background cron processing task that the documentation mentions runs in 15 minute intervals.

    I am not seeing anything relevant in apache’s error.log or in syslog on solarbird.net either, I was hoping going through that might reveal something but it does not.

    • This reply was modified 3 years ago by solarbird. Reason: clarity
    Thread Starter solarbird

    (@solarbird)

    I have 85 followers, which doesn’t seem like a big number, but I do have a lot of posts if that matters. (Also a lot of comments over time.)

    I can only see one comment to this post in particular and it’s from my Mastodon account. I can only see it within Mastodon – it’s not showing up at my actual WordPress blog.

    Thread Starter solarbird

    (@solarbird)

    OH.

    OKAY I’M DUMB I get it now. Sorry about the confusion and thank you for explaining!

    Thread Starter solarbird

    (@solarbird)

    But before 0.17 it wasn’t showing just the link with “WordPress post type.” I’ve had that selected since I installed ActivityPub and it was showing previews. And it was doing it in a way that looked slightly better in some cases than with the Note type.

    Here’s an example as seen from Mastodon, posted two days ago, before 0.17, with “WordPress post type” selected in the plugin UI, but there are many more examples before and after that. Then with 0.17 you can see it changes to just URLs, until I set it back to Note type, where it starts working again.

    I mean… maybe it was confused and actually using Note type the entire time but the UI said it wasn’t.

    <time datetime=”2023-03-01T22:41:14.000Z”>2d</time>

    solarbird@solarbird.net

    {email removed by moderator}

    still about twitter, but about terrible management, not fascism

    Twitter used to be a really good and important tool for disaster management, before it was a disaster itself. This isn’t necessarily as well known outside of certain subsectors of twitter users, but it genuinely was important – not to gawkers, but actual emergency-management and disaster-response professionals.

    That’s gone now, and it’s a real […]

    [link] #sociality #tech

    • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Yui.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Yui. Reason: possiblly sensitive data removed
    Thread Starter solarbird

    (@solarbird)

    Yes – I did change it to note, and that’s what expanded what got federated out to more than a URL, bringing back the excerpt.

    But neither other object type would give me anything but a URL when viewed elsewhere. As you note, that’s expected on Mastodon if you select the “Article” type, but I was using “WordPress Post-Format” and still only getting a plain URL to the post, and nothing else, and only once 0.17 dropped.

    Before then, I was getting excerpt plus URL, like I am right now with the Note object type.

    I can show you a screencap if I’m not being very clear, I’m kind of sleepy.

    Thread Starter solarbird

    (@solarbird)

    I updated to the latest version and now it seems to be only sharing links ever, even on public posts. I’ve tried a variety of settings to get it to do anything else, all to no avail. I also tried deactivating and reactivating the plugin and that didn’t help.

    Anyone else seeing this?

    ETA: Okay. I’ve narrowed this down finally. It’s not in Post-Content, it’s in Activity-Object-Type, and the problem is showing up if you select WordPress Post-Format. I have been using that format because excerpts in that format display better with some of my posts than the default “Note” format, particularly posts with newlines and tables up front. But at the moment, with the latest drop, Activity-Object-Type of WordPress Post-Format federates only as a link, even on fully-public posts.

    • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by solarbird.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by solarbird.
    Thread Starter solarbird

    (@solarbird)

    Brilliant, love to see it. Thank you very much.

    I absolutely recognise that this is indeed a difficult problem, but just to throw in my penny – this would be probably number one on my features list. Because otherwise there’s just not really good ways to participate in discussions happening off-blog.

    (It’s between that and stronger defederation support, but I think this wins.)

    Thread Starter solarbird

    (@solarbird)

    Okay, yeah, we had curl libs all installed but for some reason it turns out that (surprise!) apache wasn’t dealing with it correctly. We’ve got apache to pay attention and now have functionality restored. (This was not the top of our queue, which put it off for weeks.)

    Anyway, anyone else watching this thread may want to know that if you are using snoopy instead of curl to detect broken links, all https queries will fail. Get curl working.

    If curl is working, and the plugin sees it, you have a different problem.

Viewing 15 replies - 61 through 75 (of 78 total)