Nik
Forum Replies Created
-
Thank you so much and I really appreciate your attention to this.
I’m quite surprised it hasn’t come up as an issue before… I’ve used your plug-in several times myself and not noticed it, but then I’m fairly sure I’ve always been using additional plug-ins for the membership/security side of things so wasn’t relying on BP Registration Options alone.
I’m still not sure I understand why having the “profile” tab as default causes the problem, but any other tab and it’s all fine (this must surely be some clue?) but will do some more digging myself if I can, whilst also looking out for any updates…
Argh so sorry… I’ve just noticed that the above code seems to prevent new visitors wanting to sign up to the site from gaining access to the mysite/register page!
Who could have guessed that setting a default profile tab in Buddypress would cause such headaches!
I don’t supoose you have any further suggestions? π
Ah… I was thinking it might be something along those lines and yes indeed, that’s fixed it!
Thank you so much for your prompt and efficient support. I really appreciate it.
The bp_registration_get_moderation_status() function doesnβt internally check for logged in status, it just needs a user ID to work with, so it knows whose moderation status to fetch.
Yes but in this case, the visitor won’t be logged in anyway so I’m not sure how that’s relevant…
I also can’t understand why it works if I set the default component as say, “friends” but not “profile”… but hey… it’s late… I’ll take another look tomorrow π
Many thanks again.
That’s what I was wondering…
Or possibly it’s to do with priorities eg. I’m assuming bp_registration_get_moderation_status is designed to check for a logged-in user, so maybe happens at some point slightly later than a casual visitor entering a url..
I’ll do some more digging and let you know though…
Thank you again for looking into this although unfortunately it still doesn’t seem to be working for me… although I haven’t yet had time to deactivate all the plug-ins, test other themes etc.
That said, if you’re fairly sure it *should* be working… I’ll see what else I can investigate tomorrow.
Thank you so much for getting back to me.
I have both settings toggled ie. Moderate new members AND the private network option underneath.
I tried putting the BP_DEFAULT_COMPONENT in both the wp-config or in bp-custom.php (from which I’d deleted everything else to enusre it wasn’t anything else I’d customised)… but seems to make no difference ie. user profile tab still shows up for vistors/non-members (though if they click on the Friends or Activity tabs, it reverts immediately to the front page – as expected).
Unless it’s a setting in the database which doesn’t get over-ridden when all the other plug-ins are deactived, I’m honestly not sure what else to try…
Very much appreciate your assistance…
Hi @ninsights
It depends exactly what you’re trying to achieve, but yes I have got this working quite well with a combbination of BuddyPress, BP Registration Options and BuddyPress Member Type Generator.
It did take a little custom coding and tweaking of the settings but if your requirements are similar to mine (ie. several different member types with some needing automatic approval and some requiring to be manually authorised), it certainly can be done.
Regards
NikkiActually that doesn’t appear to be the case as normally copying a template file to the same directory structure but under the theme folder would effectively override the plug-in template but unfortunately that doesn’t seem to work.
As it stands, I’ve had to edit the template in its existing location ie. plugin/assets/templates/single-3d-flip-book.php which obviously isn’t ideal but will work as long as I watch out for any updates π
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: [Registration Options for BuddyPress] TranslationsAh cool… good to see you have it noted anyway.
Apart from the above, and a few tweaks which I’ve added to suit the specific needs of the site I’m currently working on, the plugin is working pretty well for me overall so do appreciate the work you’ve put in already.
If I ever find the time to play around with the Buddypress Custom Emails myself I’ll let you know π
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: [Registration Options for BuddyPress] TranslationsJust came across this post as I was struggling with the exact same problem myself.
I’d suggest a possible solution would be to take advantage of the Buddypress Custom Email feature which would then allow users to edit/translate emails in the same way as other standard Buddypress emails. (I’ve seen other similar plug-ins move over to this way of handling in the last year or so, and actually implemented it myself for one specific scenario… and it seems to work very well.)
Obviously this does require a fair amount of (re)coding to get it to work, and for now, I’ve personally resorted to sending out a single email in multiple languages (quicker but not ideal!) but it’s something I definitely might look into implementing in future if it’s not already in the pipeline elsewhere.
Many thanks for getting back to me Sam and for the alternative suggestion. One of the things I actually like about this plug-in is its relative simplicity and since, in this case at least, it does pretty much everything I need (with the exception of the emails), I’m going to stick with it for now and have a bit more of a dig into the code.
If I come up with anything that might be useful, I’ll be happy to post it here.
Warm regards
NikkiForum: Plugins
In reply to: [Registration Options for BuddyPress] Suppress emailsMany thanks Michael. I’ll have a bit more of a play myself when I have time and if I come up with any ideas I’ll let you know. In the meantime, will also look out for any updates…
Apologies for jumping in here. I’ve already started my own thread (https://wordpress.org/support/topic/suppress-emails-2/) re. admin emails getting sent out despite the user not requiring moderation (to which Michael has already kindly responded) but just wondering if you’d found your own workaround for this yet?
Warm regards
NikkiForum: Plugins
In reply to: [Registration Options for BuddyPress] Suppress emailsMany thanks for getting back to me Michael.
I did wonder if one of the ways of handling this or at least getting around it, would be to create a new email shortcode/token depending on whether a user needed moderating or not eg. along with [username] and [user-email], there could be a [moderation_required] token which might at least allow a slightly more meaningful email to be sent to admin.
Either way, if there isn’t currently a filter for the admin emails, it looks as if for now I’m going to have to edit your code somehow whether to edit the message or prevent it getting sent out altogether so if you have any suggestions on that, it would be very much appreciated but I’ll also look out for any updates from you in due course.