fastdivision
Forum Replies Created
-
If your checkout totals exclude shipping tax, it’s likely that your shipping methods are set to “None” taxable status instead of “Taxable”. Under Settings > Shipping go to your shipping zones. Edit a shipping method such as “Flat Rate” and change the taxable status to “Taxable”: https://imgur.com/a/eYxLS
After updating your shipping methods, WooCommerce should correctly calculate the total with shipping tax included. We’re planning to introduce an update to our plugin which should prevent this in the future.
Hi @tatifox,
This change is technically complex because of how the TaxJar plugin works and more importantly how sales tax is collected in the United States. We calculate sales tax dynamically based on the customer’s address, products in the cart, tax classes assigned to those products, discounts applied after adding a coupon, etc. Once the sales tax is returned, we create or update a tax rate in WooCommerce. This is done to ensure we’re using the latest data available in our system.
In order to display prices inclusive of tax, these tax rates would already need to be added to the WooCommerce rate table and you’d also need to determine the customer’s shipping location in advance. This can be done to some extent with geolocation, but it’s not accurate enough for US states because you’re calculating sales tax at the jurisdiction level by city and zip code. If you include tax in the price for US states, it’s likely to change once the customer enters their address details. Additionally, our plugin only populates the WooCommerce rate table with rates returned by our API at checkout. We don’t import rates for every city and zip code combination in advance before the customer hits the cart / checkout.
I understand your point about conversion with additional fees at checkout, but this practice isn’t common for US merchants. See this Q&A for more information. Prices inclusive of tax are better purposed for EU tax calculations where you have a standard VAT rate at the country level and it’s a requirement to include taxes in the price. For Europe, you would manually add wildcard VAT rates by country in WooCommerce.
TaxJar also powers sales tax calculations for WooCommerce Services so I’m not sure if that integration will accommodate your needs at this time. I recommend displaying the price exclusive of tax for US states. Otherwise you’ll need to manually add a wildcard tax rate for CA state (not necessarily accurate) or explore other solutions.
Thank you!
- This reply was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by fastdivision. Reason: Fixed link
Hi @tatifox,
Showing prices with tax included in the shop catalog can be tricky when you’re calculating tax through an API. We’d have to calculate tax for a given product every time the product’s price is displayed in the catalog. That’s a lot of API requests!
This is one reason why we set some default tax options in our plugin. In order to display prices inclusive of tax, you would need to set up your own static table of tax rates in WooCommerce that doesn’t require an API.
Including shipping and tax in the price could also cause issues with reporting inside the TaxJar app. Our reporting integration uses the WooCommerce REST API, so we’ll have to look into this further to see if the REST API separates the shipping and tax from the price after the order is saved. Otherwise we wouldn’t be able to determine how much shipping and tax was collected based on the price alone.
@samrhein We’re going to implement this change along with support for WooCommerce Subscription sign-up fees. The pull request is open here which will be released shortly: https://github.com/taxjar/taxjar-woocommerce-plugin/pull/47/files
Thank you so much for the help!
Hey @samrhein,
Thanks for reporting this issue and providing some code. We’re also seeing an issue with “sign-up fees” for subscription products not being included in the subtotal correctly. When we attempt to re-instantiate the WC_Cart_Totals class in WooCommerce 3.2, the totals appear incorrect when using WooCommerce Subscriptions. We do this because we’re creating new tax rates in the system after calculating discounts and need to re-calculate the totals again for 3.2. Simply calling that class again without any modifications on our end appears to be causing issues with subscriptions.
I reached out to Prospress to see if they can provide any additional information. I’m still investigating these subscription-related issues and figuring out what’s going wrong. As soon as I have an update I’ll let you know.
Thank you!
I just released a new version with the total fix for WooCommerce 3.2. Please let me know if you run into any other issues and I’ll take a look right away. Thank you!
I have a pull request up here with the fix: https://github.com/taxjar/taxjar-woocommerce-plugin/pull/39
I’ll get this merged and released shortly. WooCommerce 3.2 completely revamped the cart calculations process, so I had to make a few more changes around applying brand new tax rates introduced in the system.
What can I say it’s part of the job π WooCommerce is always full of surprises.
You can find our phone number at the top of our website at TaxJar.com. Although you’re right that we primarily provide email support, we do make phone calls and we’re happy to screenshare if needed too!
Hi Theresa,
I’m very sorry for the frustration caused by issues with our plugin. If you reach us by phone or leave a voicemail, we try our best to follow up same day to help figure these issues out.
I believe this issue started happening with the latest release of WooCommerce (3.2.1) and for some reason tax is not being included in the total. WooCommerce is changing frequently and while we did release an update in advance before 3.2 was released, it looks like a couple things have been tweaked with the calculation process once more since then.
I’m investigating right now to see what’s going on and I’ll follow up with you as soon as I have an update.
Alright, I found the action hook we can use to calculate tax for renewals in WooCommerce Subscriptions and I’m going through the code. I’ll tackle this next after we release 3.2 support and street-level calculations, which should be soon. Opened a new GitHub issue here: https://github.com/taxjar/taxjar-woocommerce-plugin/issues/37
Thank you for bringing this to my attention!
Hi Nick, I’ll take a closer look at renewal calculations this week and get back with you. At the moment we do support initial calculations for WooCommerce Subscriptions at checkout, but I need to perform some additional testing around the renewal process. Thanks!
Forum: Plugins
In reply to: [TaxJar - Sales Tax Automation for WooCommerce] GPL License Version?Good catch, I’ll update
taxjar-woocommerce.phpright away to ensure we’re using a consistent license everywhere. Thank you!@mthedesigner We’ll look into your WooCommerce store configuration to see what’s going on. Please let me know if you didn’t receive my email. Thank you!
@mthedesigner Hi Mark, just followed up with you via email. I’ll take a closer look at your store configuration once I get some more info. Thank you!
.
- This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by fastdivision. Reason: Duplicate response