Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Thread Starter cbconsult

    (@carolinbenjamin)

    I have not seen the same issue — but then there are no more themes that need updating so it is hard to tell if it will ever re-duplicate.

    I’ll let you know if there seems to be any other weirdness, but so far so good.

    Thanks for checking back in about it.

    Thread Starter cbconsult

    (@carolinbenjamin)

    Just as a FYI — I handled updates on several other sites this weekend and several of them had themes that were waiting to be updated, but none of these other sites behaved like the one I reported the issue for, which updated its themes on it’s own.

    On all of the other sites I dealt with, which had the Easy Updates Manager, which I believe was installed identical as the site where the problem issue occurred, behaved as hoped. The updates did not auto occur, and the expected behavior happened – which was to wait for me to manually handle the updates.

    The website where the issue occurred is hosted on Hostgator. But there are other sites on the same hosting space that behaved properly.

    If you are not hearing of other people with this issue, maybe it was just some odd occurrence that is not repeating in large number of websites? None of my other sites experienced the same problem.

    Thread Starter cbconsult

    (@carolinbenjamin)

    That is correct. They were set to Disabled.

    Interestingly I have had your plugin for awhile on a number of sites and have not seen this happen before on any of the sites I have, or manage.
    So this was an odd occurrence it seems for some reason.

    It happened on a website that is a ‘sandbox’ to a live site. And I went on this afternoon to do some testing. And within a few minutes of being logged onto the website, I got an e-mail sent out stating that these theme updates had happened.

    Never have seen an e-mail announcement like that of updates either.
    Whole thing was strange.

    As said, no harm happened, especially be on the ‘sandbox’ site and all, but several of my live sites run on Thesis. And my experience with Thesis is you never, ever would want that to ever automatically update. It needs ‘hand-holding’ during any updating. 🙂

    Thread Starter cbconsult

    (@carolinbenjamin)

    I managed to figure out the issue on this and resolve it.

    It seems when the original Genesis child theme maker constructed his Genesis child theme, for some unknown reason he made a reference in the functions.php file that it was required for there to be a ‘newsletter.php’ — (this was the reference showing up in the error messages, when I tried to delete the gallery plugin.)

    So I went into the functions.php file and removed the line referencing the ‘newsletter.php’ and reloaded the functions.php file.

    Once I did that I was able to successfully delete the gallery plugin without there being error messages.

    So my issue was not caused by the gallery plugin — but by a sloppy Genesis child theme developer it seems.

    Sorry for bothering you.

    Thread Starter cbconsult

    (@carolinbenjamin)

    That suggestion did work to get the plugin activated — thanks.
    And once installed it did the job needed very fast and efficiently. 🙂

    Thank you.

    Thread Starter cbconsult

    (@carolinbenjamin)

    Rolf —
    I found one place on line that referred to another plugin – but the problem is the same.

    It talked about doing this — I am guessing this is something the developer needs to do —

    Refers to — ‘pluginname/readme.txt’

    Inside this file it says,

    ‘Tested up to: 2.8.4′ or whatever WP version tested to. This number may vary but the important thing is that it shows at least as high as the current version of WordPress that you are currently using.

    To fix your “Plugin does not have a valid header” problem, simply edit this number to your current version number or higher and save your changes.

    That said, I am suspecting that the version of the plugin I am downloading may not be saying “tested up to 4.0” (the latest version).

    The info referred to the fact when this change was made the plugin with the issue ended up working fine.

    Does this sound like something that might apply to this situation?

    Thread Starter cbconsult

    (@carolinbenjamin)

    Rolf

    I already had tried to do that after I posted. I deleted the first plugin attempt, re-downloaded a new version of the plugin from the WP site and used the new download and tried again.

    But unfortunately I got the same error message that I had before – “Plugin does not have a valid header”.

    I have been reviewing for an answer on line, and it seems there are other reports of similar issues such as this that appeared back as far as 2010 for random plugins at random times — but I have not yet found any info about how to correct the issue.

    I am really hoping to use the plugin — but can’t get it installed.

    Thread Starter cbconsult

    (@carolinbenjamin)

    I think I may have this figured out —

    here is what I ended up using – it seems to work

    Home Template
    Home

    Home Template (Unlinked)
    Home

    Thread Starter cbconsult

    (@carolinbenjamin)

    Terrific — I was worried that it might still needed an update to work with 3.9. Thanks for the quick response — appreciate it.

    Thread Starter cbconsult

    (@carolinbenjamin)

    Thanks again — and BTW — if you encounter anyone else who is wanting to use your plug-in with Thesis — this is a link to the site who has the Thesis Box that works with your plugin. To my knowledge there is not currently any other Thesis Box around that works for your plug-in.

    Thread Starter cbconsult

    (@carolinbenjamin)

    I have excellent news to report about this perplexing problem. The problem sites are now working properly!! Yes!

    I got everything finally working with a complete re-install of everything. I was thinking more about the fact that I have 4 similar sites and on 2 of them the breadcrumbs were working fine and on the other 2 not correctly. So that being the case, we have to assume that the actual tools, ie Breadcrumb Plug-in and BYOB Thesis Box should be working fine on all 4 sites. There was not a dramatic difference in plug-ins, or other tools, etc on each of the sites.

    I began to wonder if maybe something was not saving properly, or something — we have seen other issues of things not saving somehow at times.

    On the 2 problem sites, I took the tact of completely removing everything related to the breadcrumbs off the sites. I took off the BYOB Thesis Box and the Breadcrumb Plug-in completely.

    Then I methodically put the BYOB Thesis Box back in on each of the sites where there had been a problem, re-put the Thesis Box on each of the templates and saved them, and then re-installed the Plug-in and tweaked the settings as was set on the properly working sites —– and after doing all this completely all over again on both sites— I checked each site and voila the problem sites are now working perfectly!! The breadcrumbs show the parent, child and grandchild breadcrumb.

    I am just so glad that this perplexing problem seems to be finally resolving.

    Thanks for listing to the saga of woes and your help as I worked my way through this.

    Thread Starter cbconsult

    (@carolinbenjamin)

    is there a way I can send you a copy of the Thesis Box that is made for Breadcrumb NaxXT — it has the code you may want inside of it I think — but I do not know how to get it to you other than the zip file that I used to install the Thesis Box onto my skin — is there a ay to send you a Zip file??

    thanks much

    Thread Starter cbconsult

    (@carolinbenjamin)

    I am using the Thesis 2.0 theme and the Breadcrumb NavXt code is inserted in the theme via a Thesis Box — (the accepted way of handling this type of thing on Thesis) — then the plug-in is activated and as said on 2 of the sites I have with this same config it operates perfectly with parent/child/grandchild pages — but on 2 of the sites it misses the child and skips from parent to grandchild —

    Not being a coder I am not sure where to even look for what you are asking — I sent the links to you where the issues are happening — I don’t know how or what else to send to you —

    I feel stuck on this and need help

    Thread Starter cbconsult

    (@carolinbenjamin)

    John

    I can’t get anyone to do what you asked for troubleshooting and I don’t know how to do it myself — I would really like to use the Breadcrumb plug-in

    what is your suggestion?

    Thanks much

    Carolin

    Thread Starter cbconsult

    (@carolinbenjamin)

    Or are you asking me to just find out what code exists above and below ?? not write something ??
    Maybe I can beg the person who got the other code info for me to check the above and below … let me see if I can beg of them to do that for me.

    Thx

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)