[Plugin: Multi-level Navigation Plugin] New update deletes all settings
The latest update emptied all field with custom settings, CSS etc.
A bit annoying as I had two heavily customised menus created with the MLNP. Thank God I have everything backed up.
Anyway, had to return to previous version because Exclude Pages option isn’t working.
Sorry you have trouble. I’m the developer of the plugin.
I had some people test it, but they said it upgraded just fine for them.
Do you know if you did anything perhaps out of the ordinary to prevent it from upgrading properly? I’d like to fix whatever bug you are encountering, but I’m not sure how to go about replicating this scenario.
I’ll look into the exclude pages functionality for you.
I’ve figured out the exclude pages bug, plus two other bugs reported by others. I’m kinda flummoxed by this issue of custom settings being lost though. Do you know if it is ALL of the settings, or perhaps just some of them? From what I’m hearing from you guys it sounds like no settings are being transferred over at all, but I’m a little stumped as to why that would happen for some people but not all.
I’ll upload the fixes I’ve got done now, but I need to go to work and probably can’t do any more changes until I get home sorry. But if you have any further information, I will look into it as soon as I can.
Sorry for the problems you experienced. I was aware this was a massive upgrade and had potential for problems, but since no one mentioned any bugs whatsoever during the beta testing phase, I figured all was well. It seems I goofed up and a lot more bugs slipped through than I was aware of. Not that it’s of much use now, but I can assure you this won’t happen again. This was a rather unique situation in that I had to rebuild the plugin from the ground up as I’d done such a bad job of it originally. I was worried potential performance and security problems with the plugin were going to come back to haunt me, and a rebuild was the only way I can think of to bring the plugin back up to scratch. Unfortunately, a complete rebuild is also fraught with incompatibilities and fresh bugs. It seems my attempts to launch the new version with zero bugs has failed bad 🙁
New version should be available in a few minutes ….
I upgraded to 2.3.2 on a few of my websites that are installed on my local machine. The exclude pages now works like it should.
The only issue I’m still facing is that all the fields with custom settings are being emptied and set back to default after the plugin is upgraded. Reinstalling the older 2.2.x version restores all the custom settings. Not sure if it’s a database thing or what.
Really sorry about that.
I actually considered deleting all the old options on upgrading, but decided to leave them just in case something catastrophic like this happened. Glad I did now.
I’ll need to do some testing and get back to you. I probably can’t get to this for another 24 hours though sorry, but I will do my best to get to it sooner if possible.
Sorry again for the bugs.
One question. Was it ALL of the fields that were reset? Or perhaps just a few of them?
It was all the fields. Basically it resets the plugin back to the default settings.
Damn. I’ll do some testing later on for you and hopefully I can replicate the problem.
I’m still stumped as to why this probably only effects a few of you, but I’m sure I’ll figure it out if I look hard enough.
Sorry, but I can’t replicate this bug at all. I’ve tried and tried and tried, but it always work for me with no problems at all.
I also checked with a few others who did the upgrade, and they had their settings transferred over too.
I did find two bugs which affected the plugin during the process. One involved the CSS file being turned off after the upgrade, and another involved image URLs not being parsed correctly. These bugs have been fixed in version 2.3.3 which is uploading to the repository as I type this.
That’s unfortunate that you couldn’t find this bug. I’ve installed the update to 10 different websites and the settings got reset on all of them.
Sorry you are experiencing this problem.
Do you know if you upgraded from version 2.2.4 to 2.3.x? Those are the versions I’ve been testing the upgrader on.
Yes, I upgraded from 2.2.4 to 2.3.x. with WordPress 3.3.2. I’ve also tried changing and saving the plugin settings before I upgraded and that didn’t work either.
OK first of all thanks for the plugin. Secondly, unfortunately I Just upgraded to 2.3.3 and lost the code for our menu, i.e. it cleared Custom Code 1 – 4 completely. Clearly would have liked to have known that that was possible – WP’s auto update suggestions are more a curse than a blessing sometimes. Any idea how to recover the old settings? Really a bummer…
If you reinstall the older version like 2.2.4, your settings should be stored.
They were for me anyways.
Damn. Another person with this problem. I’ll look into it again to see if I can figure out why this is happening to some people. I’m at a loss as to why this only affects a small number of people and not everyone.
Ryan, just wanted to make a note that I’ve installed this update on 23 different websites and every time the settings were reset.
I just made sure that I copied the data in the exclude pages field first (that was the most crucial data that was being lost) before I installed the update. Then after the update was installed I went ahead a put back the custom settings. It literally took less than 30 seconds per website to put the settings back, a bit of a pain but not that big of a deal (for me anyway).
- The topic ‘[Plugin: Multi-level Navigation Plugin] New update deletes all settings’ is closed to new replies.