Opera and W3 Total Cache
Please check it:
Before empty cache:
After empty cache:
This problem is with Opera, can you fix this?
There’s not nearly enough information to identify a problem. What compression setting are you using on the page cache settings tab?
Yes fredericktownes you right, there is page cache settings:
Maximum lifetime of cache objects: 1800 secs
Garbage collection interval: 1800 secs
HTTP compression: gzip and deflate (best)
Don’t cache pages for logged in users (checked)
Cache the home page (checked)
Cache RSS / Atom feeds (site, post, post comments) (checked)
Cache URIs with query string variables (blank)
Rejected user agents:
Never cache the following pages:
Caching exception list:
Specify page headers: (blank)
Mobile user agents:
Redirect mobile users to: (blank)
There is “General Settings”
Page Caching: Enable/Disk (enchanced)
Minify Caching: Enable/Disk
Database Caching: Enable/Disk
CDN/Type: Enable/Origin Pull (Mirror)
Is this information enough?
Change “HTTP compression” to gzip only and empty cache.
Now i moved my site to another server and problem is solved by itself.
“only gzip” method is still required?
Yes, that is recommended. Is it still possible to test the site against the old server? Is it still online? It’s important to know if it’s a Opera issue or plugin issue or WordPress issue (with deflate handling).
Thank you Frederick, i will do it.
I want to help you but i’m sorry, old company has terminated my account
Old server spesifications:
Linux Centos / VPS
2 GB Personal Ram
Linux Shared hosting (no detail)
Ultra320 SCSI, 16GB ECC R. Ram
and no more useful information, details:
i hope this information is helpful for you.
Unfortunately it’s not enough information, I’d really have to do some quick tests to see how different flavors of PHP behave. Thanks anyway.
I’ve recently come across this issue on a 3rd party site as well and was wondering if it may be related to the very mild browser-sniffing you’re doing in lib\W3\PgCache.php and lib\Minify\HTTP\Encoder.php where you seem to lump Opera in with the old IEs? Not had time to test this on a site I control directly, but may be worth a look.
(full disclosure: I work for Opera as Web Evangelist)
I, too, have seen this on other sites. All of the affected sites I’ve seen are running WordPress 2.9.2 with W3 Total Cache/0.8.5.2 on Apache 2.0 or 2.2 (not sure whether it’s version-specific). I am using Opera 10.51 on Windows 7. I’d like to know if redux_splintered’s idea reveals anything. I don’t use WordPress anymore so I don’t have the ability to do any testing.
Just switched bikeportland.org over to using the w3 total cache this weekend. Getting some email from users as well with the same problem:
Technical Specs from one user:
Windows XP SP3
Opera 10.51, Build 3315
I fired up my opera on my mac, and everything looked kosher. I then installed the latest opera on my vmware xp, and sure enough, its getting deflated content but not deflating it.
So Im not sure where the issue lies:
A. opera says it can handle both Gzip and deflate content, but its getting deflate.(shouldnt it get gzip?)
B. Opera *should* deflate it, but doesnt. Stranger still is when I use opera’s built in dev tool (dragonfly) and load the page in ‘debug mode’ it does deflate it.
Anyhow, switching to gzip only for http compression fixed this issue for us. Basically anybody on a windows box with the latest version of opera is not going to see your site if you select “gzip and deflate – best”. Perhaps it shouldnt say “best” until this is fixed?
Here is the Raw request headers as reported by opera’s dragonfly tool.
GET / HTTP/1.1 User-Agent: Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) Presto/2.5.22 Version/10.51 Host: bikeportland.org Accept: text/html, application/xml;q=0.9, application/xhtml+xml, image/png, image/jpeg, image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, */*;q=0.1 Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.9 Accept-Charset: iso-8859-1, utf-8, utf-16, *;q=0.1 Accept-Encoding: deflate, gzip, x-gzip, identity, *;q=0 Cookie: __utmz=196354239.1271718114.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none); __utma=196354239.472036295.1271718101.1271718101.1271718101.1; __utmc=196354239; __utmb=196354220.127.116.111718101 Cookie2: $Version=1 Cache-Control: no-cache Connection: Keep-Alive, TE TE: deflate, gzip, chunked, identity, trailers
HTTP/1.1 200 OK Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 23:07:45 GMT Server: Apache/2.2.14 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.14 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/18.104.22.16835 PHP/5.2.11 Last-Modified: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 23:07:16 GMT ETag: "54800d-a3ab-4849f05a1d100" Accept-Ranges: bytes Content-Length: 41899 Cache-Control: max-age=3570, public, must-revalidate, proxy-revalidate Expires: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 00:07:16 GMT X-Pingback: http://bikeportland.org/xmlrpc.php X-Powered-By: W3 Total Cache/0.8.5.2 Vary: Accept-Encoding,Cookie Pragma: public Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=100 Connection: Keep-Alive Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 Content-Encoding: deflate
The default setting for W3TC is actually gzip and because of this opera anomaly I’m removing deflate from the next release entirely to reduce support inquiries.
- The topic ‘Opera and W3 Total Cache’ is closed to new replies.