Multisite multidomain, same content, localized WP & theme
I’ve been researching how to set up wordpress with the following requirements:
1. Multisite with main and subdomain blogs under three different Top Level Domains (TLD) .no .se and .dk.
2. The theme and dashboard localization is different for each TLD.
3. The content (blog posts, pages and so on) on all the TLD’s must be readable by wordpress on each TLD. Posting, editing and commenting happens on each post or page where they were originally posted, and the changes are reflected on each of the three TLD’s.
This has been discussed by myself and others in a thread started by someone else here: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/one-set-of-content-multiple-domain-names-different-themes-on-each
The final quick answer seems to miss my goal somewhat. I already have several domains set up, and wordpress has so far been set up on one of them, and multisite has been activated. Lets call this “domain.no”. Subdomain blogs there will be such as “tom.domain.no”, “lisa.domain.no” and so on.
Now I need to have the same setup for “domain.se” and “domain.dk” as well. If another Tom and Lisa make new blogs on the Swedish TLD, they’ll get “tom.domain.se” and “lisa.domain.se”, and these should ideally be different blogs with their own content, not the same as the ones owned by the Tom and lisa at the .no TLD. Tom and Lisa on the .no domain does not have logins for those blogs made by another Tom and Lisa over at the Swedish (sub)domains.
All this content is to be stored in one database, so that the contents in each domain and subdomain blog at each of the TLD’s .no .se and .dk is searchable when the users wants to do a sitewide search for a topic. Plugins showing the latest sitewide posts and comments should see all the contents of the database as well, not just the content under the current TLD, all our blogs in all three countries.
So far I’ve understood this requires the wordpress files installed on each of the .no .se and .dk domains, each in their own localized version for both WP and the theme used.
I’m just not quite clear on how the actual installation should be carried out on the .se and .dk domains, because the installation has already been done on the .no domain, and multisite is already activated there. The latest reply in the other thread is somewhat confusing because I’m told to do what’s already been done and just activate multisite, which as far as I understand enables subdomain or subfolder blogs under the same main domain, not across different TLD’s.
I need someone to be clear about how the additional installations are done in this somewhat special case.
1. Just add the wordpress files and folders to the other TLD’s and rely on the installation originally done on the .no TLD, just adding the database access information in the new wp-config.php files on each TLD?
2. Run the wordpress installation script again on each of the .se and .dk TLD’s, and activate multisite on those as well, in the same existing database? In this case, will all the contents from each TLD sites still be available across the .no .se and .dk domains which are also stored in the same database?
Any and all help really appreciated. I know @andrea_r would probably have the answer for this one. 🙂
- The topic ‘Multisite multidomain, same content, localized WP & theme’ is closed to new replies.