I’m using Dropdown Menu Widget from shailan.com with the TwentyEleven theme. When I’m in the Dropdown Menu Widget setup I can’t find how to add your plugin to it. I’m a total newbie to WordPress. Any help would be appreciated. The goal is to have Recent Posts in the main menu with a dropdown of the categories and them sub to that the last 5 posts in each category. You can see what I’ve got so far at gcdcc.safeport.com, which is merely a test site for learning purposes.
to use my plugin, you should go to Appearance > Menus. There, you can build your Custom Menu. Create a new one and add menu items to it. When using my plugin, extra options are available, as described in the documentation.
As for Dropdown Menu Widget, I’ve tested it in combination with Category Posts in Custom Menu and it worked fine. I suggest that you first create a menu with just CPCM, and later enable DMW. Or, even better, alternate between enabling and disabling DMW, to see what effect changes to your custom menu have.
Hope this helps. Let me know!
I have installed your plugin into the site I am trying to set up.when I have installed the menu when I open it up I only get:
tick box to replace with links to posts, no of posts and not the selection seen in your plugin which gives option to tick create submenu containing links to posts in this category.
Your help in this matter would be appreciated.
Are you using Dropdown Menu Widget? If not, please open a new thread, and please state which version of the plugin you are using according to your “Installed Plugins”-list.
can you be more specific?
- Which version of WordPress are you using?
- Which version of my plugin are you using?
- Which theme are you using?
- Which other plugins are you using?
- Have you tried using no theme and only my plugin? If this doesn’t work, I really need the answers to question 1 and 2!
- Have you tried using only the theme and only my plugin?
- Have you enabled the plugins you are using one by one to find out which one is conflicting?
I’ll gladly help, but will need more to go on.
I’m using WordPress 3.6
I’m using Category Posts in Custom Menu version 0.8
I’m using the TwentyEleven theme
The plugins I’m using are: Akismet, Contact Form 7, Custom CSS Manager, Custom Meta, Dropdown Menu Widget (not activated), Jetpack by WordPress.com, My Category Order, Simple Rich Text Widget, Styles, Styles: TwentyEleven, TwentyEleven Theme Extensions, and WYSIWYG Widgets.
I have no idea how to use your plugin without having a theme.
Yes, I deactivated every plugin except yours with no change and then re-activated them one by one.
sorry for my mistake: I shouldn’t have typed “without a theme”, I should have indeed said “Twenty Eleven theme”.
Anyway, could you please check the following things for me?
- Have you created a new Custom Menu (via Appearances > Menus > Edit Menus) and checked “Create submenu containing links to posts with this tag/category.” for at least one tag or category?
- Have you set the Custom Menu as the Twenty Eleven primary menu? You do this via Appearance > Menus > Manage locations and set the desired Custom Menu as Primary Menu
I have tried the Twenty Eleven theme with my plugin. An additional note is that with the Twenty Eleven theme you can’t use any of the tips and tricks that I mentioned on the “Other Notes” page, because the Twenty Eleven theme uses the < a > tag for styling purposes.
Please let me know if this solves your problem.
I am using your widget version 0.7.1 ‘Category Posts in Custom Menu
This plugin replaces selected Category links / Post Tag links / Custom taxonomy links in a Custom Menu by a list of their posts/pages’
I have just copies the title out of my installed plugins.
In my menu I have listed 1 home page, and everything else is categories on menu. In my wordpress site I have listed posts with url links to videos. I need visitors to be able to click on video selection and be able to watch videos I have in my site.
Thank you snd I look forward to your reply.
Mo, PLEASE START A NEW TOPIC.
have my suggestions helped?
The last communication from you that I received only had questions, not suggestions. I gave up. For a newbie this plugin is above my pay grade.
I’m sorry to hear that. I hope that your further experience with WordPress will be good. My feeling is that once you’ve mastered the use of Custom Menus, you should be good to go with my plugin.
The questions I asked were intended as “try this and please report back”. I’m sorry that these have not solved your problems.
I have retraced the steps, and have used my plugin version 0.8 with both WordPress 3.6 and the Twenty Eleven theme. This should be your base case.
In a final attempt to help you, I’ve listed the steps to use the plugin with the Twenty Eleven theme below.
- Please disable all plugins except Category Posts in Custom Menu
- Create a post with title “My test post” and add a _new_ category “CPCMtest”
- Save the post
- Go to Appearances > Menus
- Click “create a new menu”
- Give the new menu the name “CPCM”
- Add the category “CPCMtest” by opening “Categories”, checking that category and clicking “Add to menu”
- Open the menu item and check “Create submenu containing links to posts with this tag.”
- Under “Remove original menu item” choose “Never”
- Do not change anything else about the menu item
- Scroll all the way down and check under “Theme Locations” the checkbox “Primary Menu”
- Save the menu
If you now look at your blog, you should have a menu with only one item: “CPCMtest”. If you hover over that item with the mouse, it should open, and a post is displayed titled “My test post”.
Now, to use Dropdown Menu Widget:
- Enable Dropdown Menu Widget
- Go to Appearance > Widgets
- Drag the Dropdown Menu Widget to FOOTER AREA ONE.
- __IMPORTANT__: The Main Sidebar in the Twenty Eleven Theme does not show on many pages! This is not my fault!
- As title, set “Show my menu”
- For Menu Type, choose “CPCM”
- Save it
I have followed these steps myself, and you can see the result at blog.dianakoenraadt.nl
If this does not help, or if you have decided not to trace these steps, I want to at least thank you for reporting your troubles. If I can, I will use your feedback to make the plugin better.
- The topic ‘Can't get plugin to show up’ is closed to new replies.