• well I’ve been using the Mod that comes in the latest version, to make certain comments need approval by key word, adn this has been doing a great job, for 1 or 2.
    but the last week or so there has beeen too many to deal with, not only do I have to delete them from my inbox I also have to one by one delete them from the admin panel.
    For one there should be atleast a bulk delete fuction. But What i’d really like to happen is not even allow people or spammers to post at all if they use any of the words in my spam list. Letting them post to bew approved still, is the same as getting spammed.
    I had to post this this morning seeing as I had over 500 emails and comments to fix up. not a fun saturday morn activity.
    can anyone help?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Thread Starter Anonymous

    WP-Blacklist can automatically delete comments that have been sent to moderation, but I get two emails for every spam, one telling me it’s been moderated and another one saying it’s been deleted, so it doesn’t stop your inbox getting clogged up.

    Thread Starter Anonymous

    hmm, well I think theres an option to not get emailed with comments, but then that defeats teh purpose again, and the spammers win.
    thanks for teh idea though Ill install backlist asap.

    Well, I use kitten’s spam words and the spaminator but in the past two days, its not working anymore.
    I swear someone needs to make a website wiht a hitlist of spammers. Then maybe they’d get scared and knock it off!

    Thread Starter Anonymous

    Can I post here?

    Thread Starter Anonymous

    Oh, I can.. Great. Anyway.. I agree, the Bulk delete feature on the regular comments section would be awesome for those that are awaiting moderation. I really like in the bulk editor of comments, that I can invert check boxes, so I can simply check one comment I want to keep, go to the bottom and invert the checkboxes, thereby unchecking the one I want and deleting the rest with a breeze.
    The only problem with WP-blacklist is that I’m getting spammed by online poker sites.. About 80 hits a day!!!! So I have ented poker texas and holdem in my blocked words list. Problem is, I love poker and sometimes post about it and it is likely someone will leave a legitamate post with one of those words.. I’d hate to have that deleted.
    As far as the Two emails problem… no biggy, go into your email progam and have “Please Approve” phrase in your subject to go strait to deleted box or permanently deleted. Same with whatever tagline you get from WP-Blacklist.
    But hey, I want to know what messages are being moderated, and I want to be the one to decide what gets deleted. So the best thing is to simply go to my inbox… Highlight the mass emails… delete with a click of a button. And then to be able to do the same with WP would be Nice!!!
    Other than adding a bulk delete, it would be nice to require people to register to be able to post comments.!!! There’s an idea.. Or to be able to block certain ip addresses from posting. etc.

    Tek,
    I’m wondering what changed to make Spaminator suddenly not work for you. I’ve been using it ever since it came out, and other than the now-rare need to add a new word or two to the spam word list, my site is spam-free and my inbox is happily devoid of emails asking me to approve or moderate comments. Perhaps another plugin you have installed has created a conflict?
    ****
    How do you spell Spam relief? S-p-a-m-i-n-a-t-o-r.
    http://mookitty.co.uk/devblog/ is where you will find it. If you have any bugs or need some tech help with it, just post in the comments or use her contact info to deal with Kitten directly.

    Moderator James Huff

    (@macmanx)

    Other anti-spam solutions: http://www.tamba2.org.uk/wordpress/spam/

    Thread Starter Anonymous

    all poker spammers for me too in teh last 2-3 days aswell

    Thread Starter Anonymous

    I got 400 Hits last night, another 100 today, all poker stuff, sheez!!!

    mass delete function via chrisjdavis.com

    Thread Starter Anonymous

    well blacklist mentioned above has already saved me teh moderation process. just have to deal with the emails. which is better then both.

    Thread Starter Anonymous

    HUmmmmm, I wonder if on line-poker and those other drug companies are only attacking Word Press Blogs or, are they hitting every weBLOG out there? Anyway, like Nuclear-Moose said, Kitten’s S-p-a-m-i-n-a-t-o-r I think is the best. Although the standard issued Word Press SPAM Blocker works quite well, I can say to date, only one Spammer got thought it.
    The last few days have being very high as far a Spammer activity. I wonder if it is time to start notifying their servers?
    Oh, one more thing: Check to see if they are not using your web-account’s E-mail to send their SPAM! I had one outfit using mine because I never thought to deactivate it. I use my Cable provider’s E-mail service instead, not the server that hosts my web site. I could of had mine shut down because of the extreme traffic. They must of sent over 1000 E-mails from it in one week before I caught them.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘515 spam over night’ is closed to new replies.