• I posted this over at the bbPress-forum, but seen no input there so far, so I put it here as well and hope for your bright and enligting input! 🙂

I have WP and BBPress integrated with BB in a subdirectory. Now I found a strange thing in Firebug’s “Net” section (where Firebug shows “requests”).
    When I load anything WP-realted everything looks fine, but when I load something BB-related HTML-request is listed with (404) in Firebug, although the page loads just fine.

URL to the blog is http://www2.enserio.se/blogg/
    and the forum is at
    http://www2.enserio.se/blogg/forumet/

I’ve had a problem when trying to check the forum at http://www.websiteoptimization.com/, which says that the page (and any other BB-realted page) doesn’t exist and report a 404-error. Somehow I thing it’s related to the Firebug-thing.

I suspect it’s an ‘htaccess’ related problem, but I can’t figure out how to fix it. The htaccess in the WP root is:

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /blogg/
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /blogg/index.php [L]
    </IfModule>
    # END WordPress

and dito in the bb root is:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /blogg/forumet/
    RewriteRule ^forum/(.+)/page/([0-9]+)$ /blogg/forumet/forum.php?id=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^forum/(.+)/?$ /blogg/forumet/forum.php?id=$1 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^topic/(.+)/page/([0-9]+)$ /blogg/forumet/topic.php?id=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^topic/(.+)/?$ /blogg/forumet/topic.php?id=$1 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^tags/(.+)/page/([0-9]+)$ /blogg/forumet/tags.php?tag=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^tags/(.+)/?$ /blogg/forumet/tags.php?tag=$1 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^tags/?$ /blogg/forumet/tags.php [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^profile/(.+)/page/([0-9]+)$ /blogg/forumet/profile.php?id=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^profile/(.+)/([a-z-]+)$ /blogg/forumet/profile.php?id=$1&tab=$2 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^profile/(.+)/([a-z-]+)/page/([0-9]+)$ /blogg/forumet/profile.php?id=$1&tab=$2&page=$3 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^profile/(.+)/?$ /blogg/forumet/profile.php?id=$1 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^view/([a-z-]+)/page/([0-9]+)$ /blogg/forumet/view.php?view=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^view/([a-z-]+)$ /blogg/forumet/view.php?view=$1 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^rss/$ /blogg/forumet/rss.php [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^rss/forum/([0-9]+)$ /blogg/forumet/rss.php?forum=$1 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^rss/topic/([0-9]+)$ /blogg/forumet/rss.php?topic=$1 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^rss/tags/([a-z-]+)$ /blogg/forumet/rss.php?tag=$1 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^rss/profile/([0-9]+)$ /blogg/forumet/rss.php?profile=$1 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^mlist/ mlist.php? [L,QSA]
    </IfModule>

I can’t use the “Options +MultiViews” in the bbPress htaccess, gives me an “Internal server error”.

If I set WP permalinks to default these problems disapear, but I don’t want do do that …

Any input on this is most welcome!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Ask your host about the subdirectory (bbPress) inheriting the attributes of the .htaccess in the main wordpress directory. That was a problem for a couple of bbPress users previously. Getting the permission level higher on the bbPress directory .htaccess fixed it I believe.

Trent

Thread Starter oledole

(@oledole)

Thanks for input, Trent. Tried setting the htaccess in the WP directory to 644 and the one in bbpress to 755, but it made no differense.

Thread Starter oledole

(@oledole)

There is a thread for this over at the bbpress forum as well. http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/strange-404-report-i-firebug?replies=8

Does anyone have any suggestions on this at all? I’m having the same problem. My installation of wordpress and bbpress on another site (older version of bbpress) is fine, but my new (test) site is presenting 404 errors. I’ve put more details on the bbpress forum, but not sure where the problem lies.

I believe this is related to the way that WordPress handles permalinks etc.

I’m going to assume that in bbPress, you load the WordPress engine as well? I’m looking at a similar problem myself right now, and from what I can tell, it goes something like this.

1. Request comes in and htaccess allows it to load a file, because the file exists
    2. The request loads bbPress, which loads WordPress
    3. WordPress, during loading, attempts to identify if we’re looking at a permalink, a search request etc
    4. Upon determining that we’re not looking at any of the pages that WordPress knows about, it triggers a 404 response
    5. Execution of the page continues and everything loads just fine from bbPress

Now the big question is, what do we do about this?

I’m looking at what is involved in loading internal rewrites into WordPress’ rewrite engine, and if I can get this working, I’ll release a rewrite plugin for bbPress that should handle it…..

Beau

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘404 error/problem/message with bbpress and WP’ is closed to new replies.