• I have tried every size for my custom image and no matter what WP wants to crop height, not width, even if I make height 90 pixels.
    What am I doing wrong?
    thanks

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • It’s not simple to change this – make sure you are using a child theme too:

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/massive-headers?replies=16

Thread Starter abbyj

(@abbyj)

hello moderator, maybe I’m not clear? No matter how small I make the custom header image that I upload, WP still wants to crop it. I just tried an image 50 pixels high!
    What is the optimum size for my header image?
    I do not want to edit php.
    thanks

Andrew Nevins

(@anevins)

WCLDN 2018 Contributor | Volunteer support

WPyogi’s saying that to resolve this you need to make several code changes.

Thread Starter abbyj

(@abbyj)

to resolve what? There must be a way to upload a correctly sized image as a header. After all the instructions are right there! So why is every size image that I try need to be cropped?
    Are you saying there is NO image size that I can upload that does not require me to make code changes??

to resolve what?

Your problem. Navigate to Appearance -> Header. Now, read the text on that page:

You can select an image to be shown at the top of your site by uploading from your computer or choosing from your media library. After selecting an image you will be able to crop it.
    Images of exactly 1600 × 230 pixels will be used as-is.

So you need to upload an image that is exactly 1600 × 230 pixels if you do not want any cropping.

Thread Starter abbyj

(@abbyj)

ok guys. I resized my image to 230 pixels high and 754 pixels wide.
    WP still wants to crop the height of the image in half!
    I feel I am speaking another language here! help! what am I missing???

I resized my image to 230 pixels high and 754 pixels wide.

Which part of “you need to upload an image that is exactly 1600 × 230 pixels if you do not want any cropping” are you having a problem with?

Thread Starter abbyj

(@abbyj)

btw, I tried the 2012 theme, and it used the image, but it displayed the header image below the menu. :-{

Are you saying there is NO image size that I can upload that does not require me to make code changes??

Correct – did you read the thread I linked to above?

Thread Starter abbyj

(@abbyj)

to esmi: umm, the part where I am actually using an image that is smaller than 1600 px x 230 px?

btw, I tried the 2012 theme, and it used the image, but it displayed the header image below the menu. :-{

Yes, that’s how that theme is coded – you can change that too – but you’ll need to make a child theme and modify the header.php file.

Thread Starter abbyj

(@abbyj)

I am totally confused.
    So what it appears to me that WPyogi is saying is that, even though the WP admin panel actually has a page (appearance – header) – and it has a button to select image, and then to publish, that one cannot actually do that, no matter what the size of the image that I’m selecting, unless I edit the header.php?

Yes, that’s correct and you’re not the only person to be unhappy with that – that’s why esmi posted a work-around as explained in the thread I posted.

If you don’t like that, there are MANY other themes to pick from here:

http://wordpress.org/themes/

I want to use 1000*150 pixel image in header.
    I do change 1600*250 to 1000*150 in Twenty thirteen theme.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘2013 theme keeps cropping header image!’ is closed to new replies.