- Imports languages and WPML options (when the same options exist in Polylang)
- Imports posts and terms languages as well as translations (including for custom post types and custom taxonomies)
- Imports multilingual nav menus
- Imports strings translations
- Does not delete WPML data
Although WPML data should not be corrupted, as Polylang data are created without deleting anything, make a database backup before proceeding.
How to proceed?
- De-activate WPML
- Activate Polylang and WPML to Polylang. Do not create any language with Polylang.
- Go in Tools -> WPML Importer
- If all checks are passed, you can click on ‘Import’
- De-activate WPML to Polylang (you can even delete it)
- Setup a language switcher either as a widget or in nav menus
- Check that everything is OK
- If something went wrong and you want to revert to WPML, you can delete Polylang using the red link in Plugins table (You can delete all data created for Polylang by checking the relevant option in Settings > Languages> Settings > Tools before deleting Polylang) and then re-activate WPML
This plugin is still experimental and does not include error management. I tested successfully to migrate a small site from WPML 22.214.171.124. I did not test newer versions of WPML, but a user reported a successful migration from WPML 3.1.5. Multisite has not been tested either. Thanks to report your experience (successful or not) with different versions of WPML in the support forum.
The banner and icon were designed by Alex Lopez
Easy, fast, secure!
And Polylang is fast… thank you for creating this conversion tool.
Works like a charm!
Worked perfectly on 4.7.2 wp version!
I just had to edit links in the main slider, except that perfect!
Thank you for this plugin. It saved me so much time and nerves.
F*** WPML, Polylang do the same things as WPML, with just one simple page of settings. And it is the ONLY ONE right choice for translation of WP site.
p.s. If someone is wondering, after switching to Poylang you can delete all WPML (icl) tables from database with no worries and problems 🙂
Contributors & Developers
“WPML to Polylang” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Fix: Don’t import the empty strings translations as it breaks Polylang
- Allow plugin localization from translate.wordpress.org
- Ready for Polylang 1.8, min Polylang version is 1.5, min WP version is 3.5
- Adopt WordPress coding standards
- Fix: database error when importing categories translations
- Fix: after import, updating a page deletes all translation relationships
- Fix: strings translations are not saved
- Add: “success” message
- Fix: incompatibility with Polylang 1.5
- Fix: taxonomy terms translations incorrectly mapped as WPML uses term_taxonomy_id whereas Polylang uses term_id
- Fix: bug with custom post types and custom taxonomies
- Bug fixes