With a simple shortcode you can enable and embed a WebGL viewer to show 3d stl files.
In the current version:
- STL files have to be uploaded to /wp-content/uploads
- The viewer can’t be used more than one time per page. This might be a feature because the viewer needs a lot of resources.
A complete description of the plugin can be found on my blog.
- Upload the directory to the
Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
Upload an STL-File to WordPress
- Insert the shortcode [stl file=”filename.stl” ]
A complete description of the plugin can be found on my blog
Only one but:
but it would be nice if Settings, Rendering Options and Lightning Option would be explained
… but needs some config.
1. Enable .stl file upload (or any other file type or file-extension)
You have to disable FILTER upload before be able to upload an .STL file. Just add
// -- allow all files to be uploaded define('ALLOW_UNFILTERED_UPLOADS', true);
somewhere in your config.php file.
2. Refer your .STL files correctly
Then make sure you refer your .STL files correctly!
If your domain is:
Your uploads will go to maybe:
So refer the stl file as:
because http://www.yourdomain.com/uploads/ is added by the plugin itself.
Insert code is not documented within the plugin, which is a shame. So here it is:
[stl file="/2015/10/3dprinted-wrench.stl" /]
Hope that helps.
4. Setup Background
I was not able to set the background, which seems to be just a black color by default.
There is a way within the plugin to setup a tile (image) but it did not work correctly. (Just a small stripe is shown.)
I’m using it here:
I did try:
[stl file="myfile.stl" background="#f8f8f8" /]
but does not seems to work for me.
If someone knows how to setup Background color (mono, fix), or tile image, please let me know!
Contributors & Developers
“STL Viewer” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Minor bug fixing.
- Scripts are only loaded if a shortcode was found on the page.
- Complete rewrite of the plugin.
- Many settings
- Removed hard-coded links.
- the settings page is working again.
- added stuff to the readme file
- code cleaning
- settings page is now working
- less hard-coded stuff
- added more parameters for the shortcode
- first working version based on a howto plugin from the web