It can be pretty tedious to have to manually edit the title for newly uploaded media items. This Plugin automates things by removing and replacing characters such as hyphens, and underscores, with spaces. The title can then be capitalized by a method of your choice:
- First letter of each word capitalized.
- First letter of first word capitalized only.
- All letters made uppercase.
- All letter made lower case.
- No capitalization. Title remains unchanged.
You will especially benefit from this Plugin if your media files have descitpive names, as you won’t have to manually edit them at all after uploading them!
Future versions of this Plugin will include:
- More choice of characters to remove.
- Optionally mirror the formatted title to the Alt text too.
- Batch format media existing media library titles.
Please rate this Plugin if you find it useful. It only takes a moment but it’s very much appreciated. 🙂
The Pro version of Format Media Titles is now available! Upgrade today for even more flexible plugin options.
See our WordPress plugin site for more top plugins!
The Plugin can be installed directly from the main WordPress Plugin page.
- Go to the ‘Plugins => Add New’ page.
- Enter ‘Format Media Titles’ (without quotes) in the textbox and click the ‘Search Plugins’ button.
- In the list of relevant Plugins click the ‘Install’ link for ‘Format Media Titles’ on the right hand side of the page.
- Click the ‘Install Now’ button on the pop-up page.
- Click ‘Activate Plugin’ to finish installation.
- Configure Plugin options from the admin Settings page.
- That’s it!
I had been meaning to search for a plugin like this for a while. I was glad to find that it exists while preparing an article with dozens of images. It definitely saved me some time re-typing the title in a pretty way. The option to copy to ALT is handy too.
Thanks for this, David.
This plugin really is a must have on any WordPress website. If you save your images with decent file names, all the hard work of creating Alt text and Titles for your images is now taken care of automatically. don’t think twice, just install it.
This plugin copy the title to alt field automagically! And it even remove the useless symbols,signs….
Thanks for this great plugin. It’s one of the first I go to for new projects. It provides a very useful functionality that also helps out very much for some SEO tasks.
I stumbled onto your basic plugin by accident some time ago and am so thankful for your work.
Being noted for my SEO/SEM/SERP magic, the go-to man for results, your plugin automated what I have been doing manually for years.
The proof is in the eating of the pudding. MMmmmmm…good!
David, you are part of my team. I trust and value your work and see it as an essential part of my SEO/SEM magical powers to make things happen.
A few of us in the know, value what you bring to the table, the rest have no idea.
I am in for your Developer offer.
Continue being awesome. 🙂
If you want to automatically add Alt and Caption be sure to check the boxes before you import images!
Contributors & Developers
“Format Media Titles” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Broken image links fixed on plugin settings page.
- Plugin settings page updated.
- Fixed bug in formatting process (unexpected removal of character).
- Updated plugin settings links.
- Fixed broken links and updated plugin icon.
- Updated plugin with ‘Pro’ links.
- Added option to automatically add formatted title to the media caption field.
- Added option to automatically add formatted title to the media description field.
- Added option to automatically add formatted title to the media ALT field.
- Now fully translatable!
- Minor tweaks to the plugin options page.
- Fixed error when saving plugins settings. This fix may require you to check plugin settings and re-save.
- Updated plugin settings page.
- Removed redundant code.
- Tested with WordPress 4.0.
0.1 Initial Release