Upload your files from the front-end using ajax. Manage them securely from the front-end with the file manager. Display them to your users in stylized lists or sortable data tables. Gather download statistics. Construct shortcodes manually or using a point and click UI. Easily create dynamic paths to show different content to different logged-in users.
How To Add Tutorial Videos to Your Page
Follow File Away on Twitter
Click the link to follow File Away for info on upcoming releases, bugfixes: @fileawayplugin
- File Away is translation ready and available in multiple languages for front-end output.
- Display files from your server directories or post/page attachments in stylized lists or sortable data tables with one of two powerful shortcodes.
- Collect download statistics for all users on your site, and receive instant email notifications and/or periodic email reports on downloads.
- Encrypt download links and mask URL paths to files.
- Numerous shortcodes with over 100 optional attributes to fine-tune the appearance and functionality of your lists and tables and file upload forms.
- One shortcode for uploading your files to your server, securely from the front-end of your site, powered by ajax.
- Generate RSS feeds so users can subscribe to your file directories and get updates when new files have been added.
- Optionally redirect logged-out users to a page of your specification when they click on any file download link.
- Generate File Away styled sortable, searchable, paginated data tables in Formidable Pro Views.
- Full-fledged front-end CSV creator/editor for managing your CSV files and File Away parser CSVs, as well as displaying CSV data to whomever you wish in sortable, searchable data tables.
- Enable FLightbox, File Away’s definitive answer to the Lightbox. Your users can view images, watch videos, and read PDFs.
- Monetize your tables with dynamically-added banners, using a simple CSV file.
- YouTube and Vimeo support in File Away’s own FLightbox.
- Add hyperlinks to offsite files and web pages, just by dropping a simple CSV file into the directory where your shortcode is pointed.
- Generate thumbnails for your jpg, png, gif, and pdf files, on the fly.
- Optionally enable in-table audio playback of your audio files, with download links for each audio file type matching the file name. Works with regular tables, Directory Tree tables, and Recursive tables.
- Choose whether to show or hide your shortcode output based on user role, user id, or device! Show one shortcode to desktops and notebooks, and another one to mobiles and tablets.
- Optionally specify separate paths for your playback audio and your audio downloads.
- Optionally make File Away lists and tables recursive, showing all files in all subfolders starting from your specified base directory.
- Optionally enable bulk downloads to a single zip file on File Away data tables.
- Optionally turn your File Away data table into a Directory Tree, to navigate through sub-directories beginning from your specified directory.
- Optionally enable Mannager Mode, a secure front-end framework for renaming, copying, moving, and deleting files and directories, individually or in bulk. Only specified users and/or user roles will have access to Manager Mode. Universal access settings can be overriden on a per-shortcode basis using a password set in the Admin area.
- Manager Mode security features prevent backwards access to directories. Security measures are in place both on the client and server side.
- With Directory Tree mode enabled, use the [fileaframe] shortcode and the File Away iframe page template, to embed your Directory Tree table in a seamless iframe on your page, to allow navigation of server directories without refreshing the parent page, and to allow multiple tables on a page without interference.
- Easily create dynamic paths to display different files to an unlimited number of different logged-in users, using one or more of File Away’s four dynamic paths codewords, all with a single shortcode instance.
- Display files recursively, or from only a single specified directory.
- Create directories on the fly just by pointing your shortcode to them, if they don’t already exist.
- Formidable Pro users can easily create dynamic paths in Formidable custom displays using Formidable shortcodes inside the File Away shortcode.
- Powered by themergency’s Foo Table, your tables are sortable by column, searchable, and have the option to turn on pagination for large tables.
- Easily create custom columns in your tables to provide additional information about your files and attachments.
- Build your shortcodes with a smooth point-and-click UI.
- Use one of the built-in styles for your list or table, or easily create your own styles using the helpers and built-in CSS editor.
- Use the built-in CSS editor, or create your own stylsheet and upload it to the custom-css directory. File Away will enqueue it for you.
- Easily plug your custom styles and colors into the shortcode generator UI.
- Save up to five Base Directories for quick reference when building your shortcodes.
- Extend the base directory path with the optional sub-directory attribute on a per-shortcode basis.
- Precise control over inclusion and exclusion of specific files and file types on a global or per-shortcode basis.
- Choose whether file links are download links or open in a new window per file type.
- Adds a custom Post ID column to “All Pages” and “All Posts” for quick reference when pointing the attachments shortcode to a page other than the current page.
- Activate the debug feature on a per-shortcode basis to help with troubleshooting path targets.
- Automatically hides dynamic content from logged-out users.
- No output when there are no files in the directory to display, so insert your dynamic paths shortcode, and worry about adding files to the directories at your own pace.
- Control access to individual file/attachment displays by user role.
- Disable link functionality, if desired. For instance, to display successful user uploads.
- Choose by user capability who can see and use the shortcode generator UI.
- Choose the location of the shortcode button on the TinyMCE panel.
- Choose the date display format: MM/DD/YYYY or DD/MM/YYYY.
- Comes with numerous tutorials and dozens of quick info links with modal window helpers for each feature and shortcode attribute.
- Choose between file-type icons, paperclip icons, or no icons, on a per-shortcode basis.
- In tables, choose by which column to sort on initial page load, either ascending or descending.
- Icons are web font characters, so no extra image loading time.
- Numerous other behind-the-scenes features. The shortcodes work to make your displays presentable and secure.
- PHP 5.4+
- WordPress 3.5+
- Linux Apache
- Does File Away work on Windows Server/IIS?
Currently it does not. I have plans to add support for Windows Server some time in the future.
- How do I get File Away translated into my native language?
- Download and install Poedit. It’s a free translation utility. You can find it on Google.
- Navigate to wp-content/plugins/file-away/lib/lng/ and download the file called “file-away.pot”.
- Open up Poedit and choose File > New from POT/PO File. Then point it to “file-away.pot” on your local hard drive.
- When it prompts you, choose your language and dialect from the dropdown.
- Translate, translate, translate!
- When you’re done, save it as a .po file. Call it: file-away-en_US.po, if it’s US English, which it won’t be. Basically, the same language slug that you use in your wp-config.php for WordPress.
- Once it’s done and saved, email your .po file to fileaway.plugin at gmail and I will upload it to the File Away repository for everyone’s use. In the meantime, you can also upload both the .po and .mo files generated by Poedit to your own wp-content/plugins/file-away/lib/lng/ and begin using it right away on your installation.
- How do I correct/update an existing language translation of File Away?
- Follow step 1 of the above question.
- Then follow step 2., except instead of grabbing “file-away.pot”, grab the .po file for your language. E.g., “file-away-es_MX.po”.
- Edit the .po file in Poedit, then save. It will generate a .po and a .mo file.
- Email the .po file to fileaway.plugin at gmail and in the meantime, upload the .po and .mo files back into your file-away/lib/lng/ directory on the server.
- Can I upload files to my server, securely from the front-end, using ajax, with File Away?
Why of course.
- Does the File Away shortcode include Directory Tree navigation?
- Does the File Away shortcode include subdirectories recursively?
- Are you going to make it so that the File Away shortcode includes subdirectories recursively?
As of version 1.5, some few minutes before the rapid contraction of the universe.
- I installed the latest update and now the TinyMCE button has disappeared from my page editor. What gives?
Yeah, that’s a weird bug with WordPress’s auto-update process that occurs sometimes. To fix, just download the plugin manually and install it via FTP or something.
I like the plugin but was having difficulty as it would not play well with Visual Composer. Downloading is great. But you cannot set up any upload option when VC is active. You get the browser, upload button, but nothing happens. Works correctly with VC deactivated. Shortcode Generator does not display either, so code has to be manually entered, unless you disable VC first. Then it all works to set up, just can't upload...yet.
Will be thanking you properly as soon as we are out of beta!
- Fixed conflict with BlackStudio TinyMCE Widget Plugin
- Fixed issue with dynamic directories with usernames containing single periods.
- Fixed audio playback issue on recurring tables.
- Fixed backslash issue with file uploads when uploading into directory with apostrophe in name.
- If you haven’t updated to 3.9.1 yet, PLEASE install this update for important patches.
- Fixed issue with database customdata notshowing up on recurring tables.
- Added new option in the File Away settings page, under the Options tab, for Alternative Pathinfo. Try enabling if you have certain UTF-8 filenames that aren’t showing up in your File Away displays.
- Please update.
- Fixed issue with bulk downloads.
- Additional important patches.
- Massively important update. Must download.
- Added several security upgrades and patches.
- Fixed bugs with customdata.
- Added “Overwrite Filename” feature to File Up.
- Various other bug fixes.
- Fixed: could not use periods ( . ) in database-stored customdata. Can now.
- Fixed bug with rename function when no customdata columns present (bug created in 3.8)
- Fixed conflict between stats and redirect functions.
- Improved: if a user has manager access, manager mode will override encryption mode, rather than encryption mode overriding manager mode.
- Improved: You can now use commas (,) in your descriptions when using the database option for your file metadata. You can also use forward slashes with this option. Reminder: if using the filename for your file metadata, commas will still signify a column break. Using the database option allows you to use commas in normal speech.
- Improved: File location for metadata will also now be updated if the directory is renamed using Manager Mode.
- Fixed: Finished deprettifying custom data (forgot one bit in the last release).
- New Feature: Store file metadata in a custom database table instead of in the filename. Usage is the same as the older method (which is still the default option). To use the new database option, just add
metadata="database"to your File Away table, then in Manager Mode, use the rename function as normal. It will store the custom column data in the database, and remove customdata from the file name if it already exists. If you use Manager Mode to bulk move files, and if a given file being moved has metadata stored in the database, its directory location will be updated in the database. Note: bulk copy will not copy existing metadata.
- New Feature: You now have the option to disable the prettification of filenames. The default behavior is still prettification. To disable this, add
prettify="off"to your [fileaway] shortcode.
- Added Polish translation.
- Swapped position of time and date for non-U.S. date formatting.
- Big improvements for s2member integration, RSS Feeds, and more
- s2member output is now compatible with recursive, directory tree, and manager modes.
- s2member activation detection now supports network activation.
[fileaway_values]shortcodes now also have the automatic
s2member-filesbase directory in the shortcode generator modal. Or just use
- RSS Feeds settings have new options: optionally disable file size, date modified, and/or direct file links in your feeds.
- You can now map your Monitored RSS Directory links within feeds to specific URLs using a CSV file. See the tutorial,
RSS Dir-to-URL Mapping, in the Tutorials tab.
- If you are using the above-mentioned CSV map, and you disable direct file links in your RSS Feeds, you can have the links in the feeds point to the page on your site where your File Away table is displayed, thus making RSS Feeds and Statistics work together.
- Fix (hopefully) for those who have files >2GB on a 32-bit server. We use is_readable() instead of is_file() to check file’s existence, and if you add
size="no"to your shortcode, we should be able to display >2GB files on 32-bit servers.
- Added super admin caps to Roles/Caps dropdowns if multisite is enabled.
- Misc. bug-fixes
- Bug Fix: Stats were not being recorded for PDFs in Flightboxes. Fixed.
- Important bug fixes in this release. Please update.
- Fixed: Bulk Downloads and Statistics were not working together (because of a typo caused after I successfully tested them, Ppffft!).
- Fixed: s2members plugin was not reading as activated in multisite setups.
- Fixed: RSS Links weren’t showing up on sub-directories on the dir-tree nav under certain conditions.
- Fixed: Timezone issues for sites with other plugins that were overriding File Away’s default timezone setting.
- Improved: Reset default server timezone (not WP timezone) to UTC after File Away is done with time stuff.
- Please read changelog for 3.6 first.
- Fixed typo in
[stataway]table type shortcode, when attempting to hide email column. Tout va bien.
- Added CSS rule for datepicker fields on
[stataway]tables, to make sure they’re inline in themes that set input fields as block by default.
- Added option to show either fullpath+filename in
[stataway]tables, or just the filename, in the file column. Use
filecolumn="file". Default is
pathso you can omit it in that case, actually.
- Time format for
[fileaway]lists and tables, and for
[stataway_user]lists and tables, now pull time format from WordPress global settings. (Date format is still pulled from File Away global settings for tables, but is pulled from WordPress global settings for lists.)
- Fixed: if s2skipconfirm was enabled, the skip confirmation query string was being saved as part of the filename in the statistics database. None of that no more.
- Updated Croatian translation.
- File Away now has a brand new, comprehensive, download statistics system, with a slew of options, including:
- Instant and/or periodic notifications of downloads via email
- Download statistics data table and downloadable spreadsheet reports:
[stataway type="table" + other atts]
- If statistics is enabled in your File Away global settings, it will automatically be enabled on all File Away lists and tables. You can disable statistics gathering on a per-shortcode basis using
stats="false"in your shortcode. This only applies if Statistics is enabled in your global settings.
- Top Download/Most Recent Downloads displays:
[stataway type="list" + other atts]
- Show users what they’ve downloaded in a given period, and/or their total number of downloads in a given period.
[stataway_user + atts]
- Use the shortcode generator to get familiar with the new shortcodes.
- Download statistics include: precise timestamp for each download, file downloaded (with file path), user id, user name, user email, ip address, and user agent string.
- File download statistics gathering is compatible with s2member downloads, encrypted downloads, bulk downloads, regular downloads, flightbox downloads.
- You can specify user roles or specific users to ignore (will not collect download stats on those specified).
- If a file is renamed or moved using File Away Manager Mode, or one of its parent folders is renamed using File Away Manager Mode, the new filename/filepath will replace all existing instances of the old one in the database, which means that a file can be renamed and moved and the statistics will be preserved.
- Many more options within the statistics system.
- Note: download stats will not be collected if the user downloads the file from an RSS feed. Download stats will only be collected when the user downloads the file using a File Away plugin shortcode on a WordPress page.
- Now for the Rest:
- Added two new table themes:
- Added option for recursive feeds within feeds (if enabled, a parent folder’s RSS feed can contain links to the RSS feeds of its subdirectories)
- On the File Away Settings page, if certain specific settings are changed, it will now trigger a page refresh, so you can see the immediate results of your changes without having to refresh the page yourself.
- Disabled right-click on Flightbox modal
- Added support for s2member links to flightbox modal
- Adjusted Flightbox window sizing for PDFs if the current window size is below a certain threshhold, the minimum margins will be smaller. (For users who are zoomed in and/or have small desktop resolutions.
- Fixed minor directory nav bug
- Experimental solution for sites with forced https on the front-end: added https alternatives to the Base URL setting on Basic Config tab. (If you choose the HTTPS option, then any File Away plugin shortcodes will need to be on an HTTPS page.)
- Added “
class” shortcode attribute to
[fileup]. Allows you to specify one or more css classes that will be applied to the containing div.
- File Away 3.5. It’s like File Away 3.1 but four points higher.
- BIG NEW: Added RSS Feed generation system. If enabled, your users can subscribe to RSS feeds for directories you specify, to keep updated on new file additions. There is a fairly exhaustive video tutorial on setting up RSS feeds. Just add
[fileaway_tutorials]to a page in order to watch it. The RSS feeds are also compatible with s2Members, thus the feeds will generate links to secure s2Members downloads if s2Members is installed.
- BIG NEW: New set of shortcodes for Formidable Pro users to generate dynamic File-Away styled sortable, searchable, paginated data-tables in Formidable Pro Views. There’s a video tutorial for that too.
- BIG NEW: Optional guest redirection feature added. Specify a redirect URL in your File Away Basic Configuration page, then add
[fileaway]shortcode. If the user is not logged in, the file download links will actually be links to your redirect URL.
- um, changes I made to management.js in the last release were not effective, since somehow that file ended up in the wrong folder. Hence, NOW Flightbox will work with [fileaframe].
- Pressing play on audio playback no longer selects the row when bulkdownload is enabled.
- Wrote new function to detect timezone string if you are using UTC offset in your WordPress settings, hence, removed tutorial telling you not to use UTC offset in your WordPress settings.
- Fixed issue with forced https pages giving false positive on install directory check, wreaking havoc on everything! No more of that.
- Directory Icons and Names in DirTree/Manager tables were not having chosen color styles applied to them. Are now. Yuh-huh.
- Added Romanian translation, thanks to Mike.
- 3.3 was fun while it lasted.
- BIG NEW: Added small, medium, and large size options for thumbnails. The default if the
thumbsizeattribute is omitted is small (what you’ve been used to with File Away thumbs heretofore). Small is 60×40. Medium is 120×80. Large is 180×120. For medium or large thumbs, just add
thumbsize="large"to your shortcode.
- Improved thumbs for YouTube and Vimeo. By default, if thumbnails are enabled the thumbnail for YouTube and Vimeo videos will be grabbed from YouTube’s and Vimeo’s servers, so you don’t have to do anything. Or you can add your own thumb for YouTube and Vimeo videos like you would any other video file (see version 3.3 changelog, or tutorials). If you add your own to the directory, then the shortcode will not grab a thumb from YouTube or Vimeo’s servers for that video.
- Tweaked CSS for video thumbs.
- You can now display thumbnails for video files if you provide the thumbnail images yourself. They will be visible for any video file type for which playback is supported in the FLightbox, including YouTube and Vimeo videos. Thumbnail images for videos can be either .jpg or .png (extensions need to be lowercase). The naming format is strict. If your video file is named:
My_Movie_Trailer.mp4, your thumnail should be named
_thumb_vid_My_Movie_Trailer.png. If both jpg and png thumbs are found, png will take priority. They must be stored in the same directory as the video file (or parser CSV file, for YouTube and Vimeo videos). The thumbnail images should be at least 60px wide by 40px in height, but above that, they can be any size. They will be scaled and cropped by CSS3.
- Final patch re: encryption. Wrote a new encryption method for the fallback encryption (for those without the mcrypt library on their server). Takes care of all the issues the original fallback method couldn’t handle.
- Added new dynamic path code:
fa-usermeta(metakeyname)where “metakeyname” is the name of any user meta key. You can use multiple in the same path like this:
fa-usermeta(metakey1)fa-usermeta(metakey2). You can separate them with other words or forwardslashes, just so long as the format is followed for each individual instance:
fa-usermeta(metakeyname), with the user meta key in parentheses directly after
fa-usermeta, with no spaces. Works with File Away and File Up Base and Sub, and with Fileaway Values Base, Sub, and Filename attributes.
- Added FLV video support in FLightbox.
ssfa-mobilecss class to container div of File Away, Attach Away, and Fileaway Values, for mobile devices and tablets. The class will enable overflow:auto, so users can scroll to the right when tables do not fit on their vertical mobile screens.
- Added fallback encryption method for those who do not have the mcrypt library installed on their server.
- Fixed CSS issues some themes had with upload progress bar and positioning of FLightbox nav controls.
- Fixed: FLightbox did not look pretty when File Away table was in iframe.
- Updated Croatian translation.
- FILE AWAY 3.1. It’s like Windows 3.1. But with wings.
- File Away now comes with eternal salvation included. I wrote a function for that. You’re welcome.
- BIG NEW: File Away’s FLightbox now supports YouTube and Vimeo videos. Just add the URLs and titles to your fileaway-url-parser.csv, and enable multi or videos flightbox in your shortcode. There’s a video tutorial if you can’t figure it out, and an old-fashioned written one.
- BIG NEW: Brand new
[fileaway_values]shortcode. Create, edit, and display CSV files. Manage your Dynamic Links csv and your Banners csv from the front-end. Create dynamically-named CSV files on the fly for your users, if you want or need to do so. Insert, rename, delete columns. Insert, delete rows. Change cell values to whatever. Save timestamped backups. Video tutorial included, as well as the standard text tutorials.
- BIG NEW: File Away video tutorials in a FLightbox table on the front-end. There’s only three at the moment, but they’re substantial. Just put
[fileaway_tutorials]on a page somewhere. Only those with permission to use File Away can see it.
- MUCH REQUESTED: Table pagination: used to be if a table had, say, 75 pages, all 75 links would show up in the footer. Now it only shows five at a time. Yay. That was a long-time coming.
- BIG IMPROVE: You can now have as many Directory Tree and/or Manager Mode tables as you desire, all on the same page. No iframes, and no inteference. Just add
drawerid="1"to your first table,
drawerid="2"to your second table, and so on.
- BIG NEW: Added
matchdrawerattribute to File Up shortcode. If your File Away Directory Tree or Manager Mode table has
drawerid="1", and your File Up shortcode has
matchdrawer="1", then that File Up form’s destination directory will be determined by the current drawer on the File Away table. You can have unlimited upload forms and directory/manager tables on your page, in pairs—each File Up form bound to its File Away companion for as long as the internet lasts. There’s a video tutorial for this if you’re fuzzy. And a written one.
- This was already the case in File Away 3.0, but just wanted to make sure you were aware that Dynamic Hyperlinks in your
fileaway-url-parser.csvfiles can also take customdata in the FILENAME column, for use in custom columns in File Away tables. See the tutorial for Dynamic Hyperlinks if you don’t already know what that means, or wacth the video tutorial on adding YouTube and Video vimeos.
- BIG NEW: Added new attributes to File Away lists and tables,
limitby. You can limit the number of results output to the page from the directory scan (for instance, 45 files), and you can limit them by oldest, most recent, random, alpha, and alpha descending.
- BIGGISH NEW: Added optional
fadetimeattributes to File Away, Attach Away, and File Up, to allow time for the CSS styles to load before the elements are displayed on the screen.
- MUCH REQUESTED: Added Search Label attribute for tables. You can add a label of your choosing next to the search icon. (best to keep the label short).
searchlabel="Search Me, Man"
- Added support for WPML url issues.
- Added label option for file name and date modified columns. Now that we have dynamic hyperlinks, you might want to change “File Name” to something else.
- For File Up forms, added second option to the
uploaderattribute. You can now choose to append either the user’s display_name, or their user ID, to files they upload. Or of course choose not to append nothing to nothing.
hidefromattributes to the
- Improved query-string generation on directory tree tables so they do not delete other existing query strings or hashes from the url.
- Improved s2member support. Formerly, if s2member was enabled in a shortcode, it ignored the “sub” attribute. Now you can point to subfolders within your s2member-files directory.
- Added Croatian translation with thanks to Antonio Kovacevic.
- FIXED: FlightBox navigation was not working in Manager Mode. (No one noticed except me I think.)
- FIXED: Dynamic hyperlinks from csv files were url-escaping ‘?’ and ‘&’ characters, messing up links with query strings in them. Someone did notice this, but I noticed first, so there.
- CHANGED: Column sorting with Directory Tree/Manager Mode tables, at a user’s request. Formerly, if you had a Directory Tree table enabled, the initial sort was hardcoded to Filename-Ascending, so that the Directories and “New Directory” row would always be at the top of the table, at least on initial pageload. I removed this restriction at a user’s request, and your “sortfirst” specifications will now be effective in Directory Tree/Manager Mode tables. I updated the Directory data-values so each now has a data-value of “# # # # # Dirname” for sorting purposes, to try to keep them at the very top or very bottom, but be aware that if you have custom columns, and some custom column fields are empty, they will appear on top of the Directory rows. Whatevs. I put these limitations on you people for your own good, but you resist and resist my divine rules. So when I do relent and let you have your way, don’t come crying to me when your tables look awful on pageload. Free Will comes at a cost.
- Improved css position for headers, directory tree breadcrumbs, and table search inputs, added clearfixes. (Improved, I hope. There’s always some theme that likes to throw its weight around needlessly.)
- Swapped position of header and directory tree breadcrumbs, with header now on top.
- Wrapped tables and lists in clearfixes if they are not floated with less than 100% width.
float:leftis the default for File Away and Attach Away tables and lists, I made it so that if the width is 100% (also the default), then the list/table will be switched to
- Changed default PDF viewer dimensions from tall to wide. User can switch back and forth at will, but now it starts with wide, which a user requested on the forums.
- Added new Tutorials in the Tutorials tab, and updated several.
- Restyled the rename input fields in Manager Mode tables.
- Fixed a few issues with people whose PHP version is less than 5.4. Technically, File Away requires PHP 5.4, but I do my best to accommodate.
- Fixed issues with apostrophes in uploaded filenames.
- The Silk theme for lists was temporarily out of service. It’s back and silkier than suede.
- Welcome to File Away 3.0. We hope you enjoy your eternal resting place.
- READ THIS CHANGELOG PUHLEEZE (SO MUCH NEW STUFF)
- Do check out the new screenshots. They groovy.
- BIG NEW: FLightbox, File Away’s definitive answer to the Lightbox. For viewing images, watching videos, and reading PDFs. Choose one category, or Multi-Media for the whole lot. Works with File Away and Attach Away lists and tables. (So… everything.) There are four FLightbox themes provided out of the box, but you can create your own too.
- BIG NEW: The Bannerization of File Away was bound to come, and now it has. No, I’m not forcing you to look at my ad banners. I’m giving you the option to force your users to look at YOUR ad banners. Banners. In File Away tables. Easy. Read about it on the Tutorials tab.
- BIG NEW: Now you can add dynamically-generated hyperlinks to your File Away list or table. You can add one, or a thousand-and-one. Link to web pages, websites, files on other servers. Whatever. All you have to do is drop a super-simple CSV file into the directory where your shortcode is pointed. Read about it on the Tutorials tab.
- BIG NEW: For all four shortcodes, you can now choose to show it only to Desktops/Notebooks, or to Mobiles/Tablets. Style your tables/lists differently to suit different kinds of devices.
- BIG IMPROVE: You can now have more than one (unlimited, really) File Up forms on the same page, with no conflict. If your heart desires it, you can be uploading files in like five different upload forms, to different locations, with different settings, simultaneously. If you’re into that sort of thing.
- QUASI-BIG NEW: Enabling thumbnails will now also generate thumbs for PDF files (permanent thumbs only, not for transient).
- NEW Base URL setting on the Basic Configuration tab. Formerly File Away calculated your Base URL for you, but this proved inadequate for many multi-site environments. Now you choose. (99% of you shouldn’t have to change a thing. But if your links stop working, go directly to this setting.)
- Added additional option to the “Initial Sort” dropdown on File Away and Attach Away tables in the modal generator. You can now disable column sorting on tables, if you desire. For you manual folk, it’s
- Improved encryption method. Original method had trouble with certain characters. New method ain’t got no problems with nothing, and is meaner to boot.
- Improved url problem-character escape method: made it uniform throughout all classes. Runs the gamut.
- Pumped up the Volume on Compact audio player from 80 to 11. Well, to 100.
- CHANGED: the
styleattribute (e.g., style=”minimalist”) is now called “theme” (e.g., theme=”minimalist”), BUT DON’T FREAK OUT. “style” still works; it’s backwards compatible. Made the change though because WordPress tends to see the “style=” attribute in the shortcodes and interpret it as an HTML style tag, which it then promptly removes from the shortcode. So now it’s “theme=”, and no more troubles.
- UPDATED: Primary Color Style tutorial and the clipboard example CSS it provides, to account for the new FLightbox feature. Grab the new example and do a search for “flightbox” to find all the relevant bits for your own Color styles. Also added an example to build your own FLightbox theme.
- CHANGED: Because MSIE and Safari STILL (STILL!) do not recognize the HTML5 “download” attribute, I finally broke down and made it so that if you’re in MSIE or Safari, all file downloads open in a new window (unless you’re using s2Member-files or File Away’s own encryption, in which case, all files are pushed to download from the server). Anyway… MSIE, Safari… new window.
- DROPPED: Remember the new unicode feature? Scrapped it. It was a bust. PHP sucks at UTF-8. My attempts to provide UTF-8 support for the sake of non-English users actually caused non-English users to start coming at me in droves saying File Away was broken now. So, don’t use UTF-8 characters. Just use your language’s keyboard. Works fine (except for Hebrew on most servers, but that’s not my fault, nor can I do anythng about your own personal server).
- FIXED: Issue with non-English characters no longer working since 2.5. How did I fix it, you ask? By repenting of my attempt to support non-English characters. (See above.)
icons="none"back into File Away and Attach Away tables. Someone complained the feature was gone. I got sad. I put it back.
- FIXED: Apostrophes or most non-English characters in Blog Title’s caused the bulk download zip files (which were prefixed by your blog title) not to be pushed to the browser because WordPress does certain things strangely. So instead I added a new field to your Basic Configuration tab, where you can specify your own Bulk Download zip file prefix, and even include apostrophes! If you leave it blank, the current date will be the prefix.
- FIXED: Recently created bug with Dynamic paths. (Actually, I fixed that in the last release, but I just thought it beared mentioning again.)
- FIXED: Bug I created with Attach Away as a result of having fixed a bug with File Away. (Attach Away is always second fiddle.)
- FIXED: Thumbnail files (not the displayed thumbnail images, but the files themselves) were showing up in recursive lists/tables. They weren’t supposed to. Only supposed to show up in Manager mode. So… fixed.
- FIXEDISH: Safari wouldn’t display image-type icon (not any of 12 I tried), so I landed on a paintbrush for Safari. Icon unchanged for all other browsers.
- French and Dutch translations are in the works, but not here yet.
- Thanks to Robbie for beta-testing, and Gavin for instigating yet another new feature.
- Added: extra nonce security check for encrypted downloads, to give encrypted urls a temporary lifespan.
- Added: when using makedir=”true” to create directories, or when creating directories on the manager table, File Away now adds a blank index.php file in each created sub-directory, recursively, but only if an index.php, index.html, or index.htm file does not already exist in a given directory.
- Fixed: breadcrumb nav UI was variously anti-social or attention-seeking. Now plays for the team.
- Fixed: encrypted downloads didn’t like parentheses in filenames. Now they adore them.
- Fixed: encrypted downloads and unicode support were not playing nice with permanent thumbnails. I scolded them.
- Fixed: loophole whereby fileaway shortcodes would work if no Base Directory was saved in the DB. Now you get a nice error notice.
- Fixed: if a sub-directory had same name as a parent-directory, renaming the sub renamed the parent as well. No more of that.
- Fixed: pretty much all “foreach() expects $variable to be an array” warnings.
- Improved: onlydirs and excludedirs filtering mechanism.
- A corrupted file was producing false positive “headers already sent” errors. Fixed.
- Three major improvements and one powerful new feature in this release.
- Big New Feature: Simply add
[fileup]shortcodes and if the directory you’re pointing to does not yet exist, it will be created for you on the first page load, recursively. Works with static and dynamic paths. If using dynamic paths, that means your site users will create their own personal directories just by visiting the page where your
[fileup]shortcode is embedded. If using dynamic paths, no directory will be created if the user is not logged in. In addition to the creation of the new directories, a blank index.php file will be created in the child-most directory, to prevent direct browser access. This means you no longer have to manually create directories before you can point your shortcodes to them. Just point to them, and they’ll be there waiting for you when you hit the page.
- Added option to choose whether
fa-usernamerenders the username as forced lowercase (the default), or as strict, case-sensitive.
- In addition to user roles, added capabilities to showto, hidefrom, and manager mode access options.
- Also tweaked the showto/hidefrom relationship so that hidefrom can now be used to qualify the showto attribute. For instance, if user A has three capabilities,
delete_users, but user B has two capabilities:
manage_options, you can show the shortcode output to user B but hide it from user A by doing
showto="edit_posts" hidefrom="delete_users". Even though user A has the
edit_postscap from the showto attribute, the
delete_userscap from the hidefrom attribute will override and will not output the content to user A.
- Got rid of a couple bugs; got rid of array_filter warning somebody was getting.
- Oops. Sorry for the inundation of updates.
- Forgot to add encrypted links to Audio downloads when playback mode and encryption mode are both enabled. Now added.
- Added feature to
uploader="true"in your File Up shortcode will append the user’s display_name to their uploaded files, in File Away custom data format, which can then be displayed in a custom column, using
[fileaway type="table" customdata="Uploaded By"].
- Fixed bug with permanent exclusions and permanent directory exclusions if those settings were empty.
- Patch for those who don’t have openssl configured on their server, to prevent fatal error when calling openssl function.
- Added feature: encrypted download links with url masking, for [fileaway] lists and tables.
- Fixed: filename link was spanning whole width of table cell when Playback mode is activated.
- Improved: Bulk Download/Bulk Action Manager Mode, clicking on links no longer marks a table row as selected. Clicking anywhere else in the row still does.
- Updated help info for unicode feature to clarify an issue and point out its limitations.
- Please read update log for v. 2.4 if you haven’t yet.
- Added optional unicode character support for File Away lists and tables.
- Please also read changelog for v. 2.4 if you haven’t already done so.
- In celebration of passing the 10,000 downloads mark, we have a major release here. Please read these notes carefully.
- With version 2.4, File Away has been completely rewritten from scratch, now in object-oriented PHP.
- If you have been using sssc_fileaway() or sssc_attachaway() in your custom plugin, functions.php, or theme template or something, you’ll need to switch to the object format with 2.4. Go to file-away/lib/inc/inc.deprecated.php to see how the class methods for each shortcode are now called.
- If you have custom styles for File Away lists or tables, you may need to do a quick search and replace after updating to version 2.4. In your CSS, replace
- File Away is now translation ready, and comes in version 2.4 replete with Spanish and Italian translations, with thanks to Erica Calderon, Sebastián Nieto, and Luigi Lotito.
- Updated the tutorials as well as the Custom Styles examples.
- Eliminated over sixty constants from the global space, and got rid of 99% of the global variables as well.
- Fixed dozens and dozens of little bugs, got rid of dozens of notices and warnings.
- Completely revamped the shortcode generator modal.
- Made loading dropdowns of site users disabled by default, for those who have tens of thousands of users and a server that can’t handle loading them all up.
- Did I mention I rewrote the entire plugin from scratch? Well, I did. It’s a bunch smarter and more streamlined now.
- A lot and a lot of other stuff I can’t remember because I was too busy improving File Away to take notes on what I was improving. Just check it out is all. Man, I wish I had taken notes. This would have been a super-long changelog.
- Fixed “extended” audio player not playing files with square brackets in the filenames.
- Fixed “nolinks” attribute did not formerly apply to audio files in playback mode. Now does.
- Fixed bug with counting table columns sometimes causing manager mode issues.
- Fixed hashtags in filename was causing broken download links.
- Added File Away twitter link to About tab
- Important bug fix for directory tree and manager mode tables. In my last release I had removed a single period (.) from the code, and I just realized this caused the breadcrumb navigation atop the tables to stop working. So, my bad. It’s fixed now. I’m working on a major overhaul of the plugin, but had to get this fix pushed so you can start navigating backwards again. Because what is life if it isn’t going forwards and backwards, forwards and backwards.
- Added second audio player option for audio playback. The new alternative will go in the filename column, and has a full control panel. To utilize, just use playback=”extended”. For backwards compatibility, playback=”anything_else” will be rendered as a the original compact version in the filetype column.
- Added option to restrict the ability to create/delete/rename sub-directories to specified user roles. In other words, you can give a user access to manage/rename/delete files in their own directory, but not to create/rename/delete their own directories. By default, anyone with manager mode access will have directory management access.
- Fixed bug with bulk action mode security check giving false positive when using dynamic paths.
- Got rid of a few more notices.
- Probably did some other stuff.
- Added alternate option for thumbnails. Previously, the thumbnails generated were temporary, and were generated on every pageload. You now have the option to generate permanent thumbnail images on initial page load, which means that if a given image already has a thumbnail generated, it will only have to happen once. Every page load after that, the thumbnails will already be there, and won’t have to be regenerated. You can choose either option, transient or permanent.
- Added option in File Away tables to replace filetype icons with image thumbnails generated on the fly for jpg/jpeg, gif and png images. See “Image Thumbnails” in the third column of the Sortable Data Table section on the shortcode generator modal.
- Got rid of a few more notices.
- Fixed white screen of death some people were getting on update. SORRY!
- Got rid of every warning and notice I could find in the admin.
- Added ability to rename and delete directories (recursively), as well as to create new subdirectories, to Manager Mode. All happens inline inside the table.
- Added option to set a fixed upload location, whereas the default allows users to navigate to subdirectories from a dropdown.
- Added option to change the text label on the File Up upload button.
- Added progress bar to File-Up form, replacing the spinner.
- Updated max upload size function to account for php.ini upload_max_filesize setting.
- Added display of php.ini upload size settings on the info link for the maxsize attribute in the shortcode generator.
- Fixed some layout issues with the File Up form (hopefully).
- Fixed some issues with the alert script for those who are hosting their directory tree tables in an iframe.
- Removed all white space between HTML elements to cater to silly themes that interpret whitespace as line/paragraph breaks.
- Fixed minor bug in shortcode generator.
- Now with File Up for secure, front-end, ajax-powered file uploads to your server directories.
- Added if(is_array()) check before sorting files.
- Fixed Playback Mode was not compatible with dynamic paths.
- Fixed Playback Mode skipping non-audio files with same filename as audio files.
- Important: Fixed bug with “select all/clear all” checkbox on Manager Mode tables.
- Various other minor fixes.
- Added optional Bulk Downloads feature for [fileaway type=”table”] shortcodes. Bulk Downloads are also automatically now built into Manager Mode tables.
- Some additional security features.
- Added ‘Skip Confirmation’ option for s2member secure file downloads.
- Re-added missing Playback Loop option on shortcode generator.
- Fixed several minor issues with shortcode generator.
- Added compat with the s2Member Framework plugin. With s2Member installed and activated, you will automatically have an ‘s2member-files’ option in your Base Directory dropdown options on your shortcode generator modal.
- When pointing to your s2Member directory, recursiveness, directory tree navigation, and manager mode will be disabled, as will any specified sub directories. Audio playback mode, however, will work fine when pointing to your s2member-files directory.
- Fixed warnings for empty foreach statements.
- Added option for low-key, non-animated admin settings page.
- Added looping option to audio playback.
- Added ability to sort attachaway lists by several different parameters, ascending or descending.
- Fixed table disappearing in Directory Tree Mode if no files in a given subdirectory.
- Made shortcode generator options boring, for clarity, and boringness.
- Fixed typo that was preventing the exclude attribute from working. I had revamped the exclusions system, and didn’t catch the typo.
- Oh my God, oh my God, oh MY GOD
- Now with in-table Audio Playback for your audio files. See shortcode generator info links and/or Tutorials tab for details. To activate Audio Playback in your tables, find “The Hymnal” at the bottom of the second column of the Directory Files/Sortable Data Table shortcode generator.
- Optionally, you can store your playback/sample audio files in a different directory from your audio download files, and they will all show up in the same table row if they have the same filename (not including file extension).
- You can now exclude directories on a per-shortcode basis, for Directory Tree tables or Recursive tables/lists.
- You can now exclude all directories except for specified directories, on a per-shortcode basis, for Directory Tree tables or Recursive tables/lists.
- You can now change the directory icon by selecting different options from a dropdown, on a per-shortcode basis.
- You can now change the column heading for Directory Tree tables. Default is “File/Drawer”.
- You can change the column heading for the “Type” column when Audio Playback is enabled.
- Added optional color scheming and color randomization to tables.
- Revamped shortcode generator modal to make more room for new features. Also fixed a few options that weren’t working.
- Several bug fixes.
- Important security updates and bug fixes:
- Added security patch for Manager Mode and Directory Tree Mode when using dynamic paths (e.g., fa-firstlast) in your shortcode.
- Fixed fatal error when more than one fileaway shortcode on the same page has debug enabled.
- Fixed problem with Attach Away shortcode’s file names and download links that was caused by a change made earlier to the File Away shortcode.
- Fixed dumb mistake on shortcode generator modal for the [fileaframe] shortcode. The generator was outputting an attribute “src” which should have been “source”
- Finally think I got rid of the issue of the shortcode button disappearing when updating the plugin via WordPress. Shouldn’t happen again.
- Fixed typo that was preventing File Away icon from showing up on TinyMCE panel
- Added compat with WP v3.9
- Important update: Added option to Config page for sites whose WP Install Directory is a Sub Directory of the Site URL: Choose whether to ground your base directories in the WP Install folder or the domain root directory. WP Install Directory is the default. If you change to the latter, refresh the page after it finishes saving, and you’ll see the provided abspath in your Base Dir options has changed to reflect your selection. This should resolve all issues for those whose WP Install is in a sub-directory of the Site URL.
- Minor update: Improved pretty foldernames/filenames by excluding most prepositions and conjunctions from capitalization.
- Bug Fixes: Manager Mode Copy/Move/Rename/Delete didn’t work if source or destination directory had an apostrophe in it. Fixed.
- Gee Whiz. More bug fixes.
- Fixed the recursive mode, which was, well, broke.
- Fixed inconsistency in Bulk Action mode Destination Directory generator.
- All important stuff, folks.
- Fixed: Directory Tree Navigation was not compatible with WP permalink structure. Now is.
- Fixed: Some general php warnings and notices.
- Please let me know when you find a bug!
- Important bug fixes in this update, and one item of improved functionality:
- Fixed: Ajax calls not working when scripts set to print to footer.
- Fixed: Manager mode editing functions not working when WordPress is installed in subdirectory of site url (i.e., when WP Site URL and WP Install URL are different).
- Fixed: Files not displaying when (see above).
- Improved: Bulk Action Destination Directory layout: changed label to display block for tables in a tight squeeze.
- New Feature: Select All/Clear All checkbox in Bulk Action Mode with Manager Mode on.
- So many big new things in this build, I decided to skip version 1.6 altogether! Please read all the juicy details below:
- First, what isn’t here yet but is coming down the line: Front-End multi-file uploading to server directories. Front-End directory creation, directory renaming, directory cloning, directory moving, and directory deletion. Auto-generation of directories for site users, according to desired specifications in desired location. And a bunch more stuff I can’t think of at the moment because I haven’t slept in days. You’re welcome.
- Bad News: One or two updates ago, I added unlimited Custom Data columns to File Away tables, and told you to separate custom data with a semi-colon. Turns out Safari and sometimes other browsers truncate filenames after semi-colons upon file download. So we had to switch to plain-old comma separation. That means, in your filenames, any commas inside square brackets will be a division marker for custom column display. E.g.: “All-Along-the-Watchtower-[Bob-Dylan,John-Wesley-Harding,Columbia,1968].mp3″ will correspond to [fileaway type=table customdata=”Artist,Album,Label,Release”]. So anyway, sorry for the change, but we don’t want filenames getting truncated on download, AND…
- Good News: Lots of new features, including renaming files on the front-end, with auto-formatting for File Away Custom Columns. I hope that makes up for it.
- New Feature: Directory Trees. Turn your File Away data table into a Directory Tree for directory navigation. Set the start directory with a static directory name, or a dynamic path, and users will be able to navigate all subdirectories, but no parent directories.
- Related New Feature: Exclude certain directories from Directory Tree tables, and from Manager Mode access, as a global setting on the File Away Options “Config” tab.
- New Feature: File Away iFrame shortcode complete with auto-generated File Away iFrame page template, for use with Directory Tree tables, to allow navigation without refreshing the parent page, and to allow for multiple tables on the same page without interference.
- New Feature: Manager Mode. Set access rights according to specified user roles and/or user IDs, and those with privileges can access Manager Mode on the front-end, which allows for Ajax-powered file renaming, file deletion, and bulk file copying, moving, and deletion. Move files to another directory, watch as they disappear, then navigate to that directory and see them in their new home. No page refreshing necessary!
- You can grant dynamic access to Manager Mode in conjunction with a dynamic path in your shortcode, to allow individual users to manage their own files in their own directories, with no access to others’ files.
- Security measures on client and server side to prevent attempts to access directories outside a user’s established purview. Attempts to manipulate files in restricted directories will log the user out, and the site administrator will be notified via email of the user’s foolhearty nefarious activities.
- Manager Mode destination directory generator (powered by Ajax) utilizes Chosen’s jQuery autocomplete dropdown. Hundreds of directories in a single directory? No worries. Just start typing and watch the others disappear.
- File renaming fields include jQuery-powered special-character restrictions.
- Success, error, and confirmation dialogs brought to you by Alertify.
- Improvement: When pagination is enabled on data tables, the page now scrolls smoothly to the top of the table when a new page is clicked.
- Bug Fix: Last page number was not being added if only one file on the page. Fixed.
- All new shortcode attributes updated on the Shortcode Generator modal, including the new [fileaframe] shortcode.
- 8 new screenshots.
- Other bug fixes and general improvements. I can’t remember everything.
- Enjoy! Now I have to go back to my real job for a while.
- Important Bug Fix: Fatal Error when calling two recursive directories on the same page. All better now. Please install this update.
- RECURSIVE DIRECTORY ITERATION IS HERE. Just add “recursive=ohjeezusitgoeson4ever” to your shortcode (or, I guess, “recursive=anything”), and the files from the specified directory, and all subdirectories, will be output by the shortcode. To disable, just leave the “recusrsive” attribute out of the shortcode.
- Also, bug fixes and some general improvements. Fixed bug with file type icons where file extensions were capitalized. Also fixed dumb bug with the pagesize field on the modal. And some other stuff.
- But Recursion! Infinite Recursion.
- Expanded Functionality: You can now add an unlimited number of Custom Columns to your File Away tables, using the same method as before. In the shortcode, using the customdata attribute, separate multiple column headings by comma. Then in your file names, inside the square brackets, separate the corresponding data sets by comma.
[fileaway type=table customdata=”Artist*, Album, Label, Year” sortfirst=”custom”]
The asterisk next to “Artist” indicates that sortfirst=”custom” should apply to the “Artist” column.
My Funny Valentine [Chet Baker, My Funny Valentine, Blue Note, 1994].mp3
So What [Miles Davis, Kind of Blue, Columbia, 1959].mp3
Birdland [Weather Report, Heavy Weather, Columbia, 1977].mp3
Technically, the number of columns you can add is limited only by the size of your WordPress page, and that’s really only an aesthetic limitation.
- Bux fixes: Fixed the showto= and hidefrom= attributes. Due to some really inexplicably dumb coding when I originally added this feature, it only worked for the first role in the list. So now I’ve replaced the really dumb code with some different code that, while not necessarily genius, at least does what it is supposed to do.
- Bug fixes: Fixed issue with files not displaying to logged out users. Fixed scandir error when using dynamic paths.
- Checked compat with WP 3.8.1 – still kicking.
- Fixed issue with WP installations whose WP url and Site url are different.
- Added three new shortcode attributes: ‘showto’ & ‘hidefrom’ take comma-separated lists of user roles, and restrict viewing access to the file display based on the logged-in user’s role, while ‘nolinks=true’ disables the hypertext reference portion of the anchor tag, if, for instance, you want to display successful uploads but not provide links to the uploaded files.
- Narcissism: fixed typo in About tab link to my IMDb page.
- Added new shortcode attribute: sortfirst — Allows user to choose by which column to sort on initial page load (for tables only).
- Added global option on the Basic Configuration page: allows specification of specific file types to open in new window rather than the default download link behavior.
- Added links to two new plugins in the About page.
- Moved custom CSS folder from plugin directory to wp-content/uploads/fileaway-custom-css to ensure preservation of custom styles on plugin updates. Be sure to manually back up your custom stylesheet if you have one in the current custom-css folder. You won’t ever have to do this again.
- Initial release