‘Donation Thermometer’ uses a simple shortcode to display classic-style thermometers on your WordPress site for your fund-raising activities.
The thermometer images are completely customisable with options available to change the fill and text colours. You can also choose to display the target, amount raised, percentage raised, and the currency symbol of your choice. Colour schemes and default values are controlled from the settings page.
The output thermometers blend seamlessly with your website content on any post or page. Simply use the shortcode [thermometer raised=?? target=??]. Width, height, align, currency, alt (alt text), sep (thousands separator), trailing (currency symbol follows numeric value), and fill colour are optional parameters. E.g. [thermometer raised=290 target=1500 width=150px align=left currency=$ alt=‘Thanks for the donations!’ trailing=false fill=#D318D6]
The ‘raised’ and ‘target’ values are linked to independent shortcodes ([therm_r] and [therm_t]), controlled from the plugin’s settings page; useful for keeping multiple instances up-to-date around your site. Also useful if you want to keep a running total in your site footer/sidebar.
NEW FEATURE (v1.3.15): A dashboard widget has been added showing the current “target” and “raised” values. These can also be edited from the widget.
- Installation Instructions
- Extract and upload the contents of the zip file to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Configure the options from the settings page.
- Insert the shortcode [thermometer raised=?? target=??] into any post or page (insert numbers for ??).
- Extract and upload the contents of the zip file to the
- I get an error message “Fatal error: Call to undefined function imagecreatefrompng…”
It is likely the GD library (required to create images) is not installed on your server – check by creating a phpinfo file and contact your hosting support.
- The shortcodes don’t work in text widgets.
WordPress only enables shortcodes in posts and pages by default. Go to the theme editor and load the functions.php file, then add the following line to the bottom: add_filter(‘widget_text’, ‘do_shortcode’);
- The [therm_r] and [therm_t] shortcodes show different values to the thermometers.
Values for these shortcodes are set on the Thermometer settings page. If you want your thermometers to display the same values, remove the ‘raised’ and ‘target’ parameters from the [thermometer] shortcode, e.g. [thermometer width=300 align=right]. Values given in the shortcode will overrule those on the settings page.
- Can I display the thermometer as a percentage of the page width?
Yes – just use the percentage symbol in the shortcode. For example, width=30%. As before, values can be set for Width OR height only. The default size is width=200px.
- How do I use the alt parameter?
This option will change the title and alt text attributes of the thermometer image. To toggle off, type alt=off. To enter custom text, type alt=’your custom text’ (include apostrophes). If the option is left out the default text ‘Raised xxxx towards the xxxx target.’ will appear.
- Can I remove the currency symbol?
Yes! Select the empty option on the settings page dropdown menu, or enter currency=null in the thermometer shortcode, e.g. [thermometer currency=null].
- Where can I request a feature?
Visit the the plugin homepage and leave a comment.
I added the code and got a ton of php errors along with the thermometer.. They went away again once I deactivated.
Perfect, simple nice looking fundraiser thermometer! Easy color selector, clear directions on integrating a size directive into the shortcode.
May require some design adjustments but otherwise works.
Contributors & Developers
“Donation Thermometer” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Added new dasboard widget from which raised and target values can be edited.
- Fill colours can now be assigned for individual thermometers using the new shortcode parameter ‘fill=‘.
- Fixed minor bug regarding centre alignment of the thermometer.
- Fixed minor bug with default values when updating from < version 1.3.
- Error in database changes on upgrade in 1.3.10.
- Various backend improvements of the code and handling of errors.
- Added more options for the thousands separator.
- Confirmed compatibility up to WordPress 4.3.*
- Move width and height parameters into CSS code.
- ‘px’ units can now be defined in the shortcode, instead of having to just use a number value.
- Fixed encoding for currency symbols in the filename.
- Further fix to the therm_r and therm_t shortcodes.
- Fixed an issue with the default display of the thousands separator.
- Added an option to modify the thousands separator in the thermometer shortcode. E.g. sep=,
- Added an option to move the position of the currency symbol to follow the target/raised value using the thermometer shortcode. E.g. trailing=true
- Added global currency settings to the plugin options page.
- Fixed a bug that was preventing absolute values of the width/height parameter working.
- Added the option to use the width or height parameter value as a percentage (useful for displaying thermometers consistently across various screen sizes).
- Bug fixed where thermometer settings were overwritten with defaults every time the plugin is reactivated/updated.
- More efficient code used for filling the thermometer.
- When percentage raised is greater than 100% the thermometer now fills completely.
- Thousand’s separator added to the thermometer alt and title captions.
- New ‘alt’ parameter for the [thermometer] shortcode: toggle the thermometer’s alt & title off, or use custom text.
- Added option for different raised/target value text colours.
- Fix for servers with allow_url_fopen directive set to off.
- Added a ‘donate’ link for the developer 😉
- New shortcodes for ‘raised’ and ‘target’ values ([therm_r] and [therm_t]).
- Addressed memory issues concerning the generation of images.
- A new parameter in the thermometer shortcode now allows for custom currency symbols.
- Image width now dynamically adjusts depending on the total raised.
- Target and percentage values change font size depending on string length.
- Horizontal and vertical margins added to the thermometer image.
- Improved the fail-safe that makes sure thermometers exist before page load.
- Code improvements including for align issues, the image title text and references to file paths.
- New Feature: Multiple thermometers with varying targets/amounts raised now possible.
- Target/amount raised values now moved from the settings page to the shortcode parameters.
- Included a cache feature which clears thermometer images on the server after 1 week.
- Fixed a bug that may have stopped the thermometer appearing in Internet Explorer.
- Helped an image resampling issue present in some browsers.
- Custom colour option for raised/target text added.
- Option added to use custom colours for the thermometer and percentage text.
- Accuracy of the thermometer-fill and gauge improved to the nearest target unit.
- Initial release.