The purpose of this plugin is to allow users to add a link to a translation version of a page or post in the admin and print this link on their blog, on a single post or or a page.
- Download the plugin
- Upload entire bilingual-linker folder to the /wp-content/plugins/ directory
- Activate the plugin in the WordPress Admin
- Add links to posts or pages in the WordPress editor
- Use the OutputBilingualLink function in the loop to display a link to the item translation.
OutputBilingualLink($post_id, $linktext, $beforelink, $afterlink);
When using in The Loop in any template, you can use $post->ID as the first argument to pass the current post ID being processed.
There are currently no FAQs
I have been searching for a simple and supported method for switching between a 2-language version of the same site; 2 WordPress installations, 2 databases and NO multisite.
I’m giving this 4 stars because it works and does exactly what I need. The ONLY reason I’m NOT giving it 5 stars is because it’s cryptic as hell.
I realize the plugin developer has freely donated his time to create and share the plugin. Yay. Thanks!
If the developer really wants it to be accessible and user-friendly, I suggest doing one or more of the following (bearing in mind that many people using the plugin are not professional coders):
– Provide up to date written documentation, including examples of how the plugin can be used in a theme.
– Provide some screenshots of how to properly configure the plugin settings.
– Provide some FAQs reflecting some of the common questions being asked in the support forum.
– Provide a basic bilingual demo.
If you’re like me and you only need basic switching between 2 sites, pop this into the header.php file on each site:
<?php the_bilingual_link(); ?>
…despite what it says in the “instructions”.
Thus endeth my rant.
I have not found what I’m looking for. I want the translation to HREFLANG
Contributors & Developers
“Bilingual Linker” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Adds language selection option in menu builder to be able to create menu items for multiple languages
- Adds text name to menu items in menu builder to facilitate managing multiple Bilingual Linker menu items
- Fixed issue with adding Bilingual Linker menu in Menu editor
- Added alternate language tags to page header based on user suggestion
- Correction in donation link
- Added support to display translation link when posts page is not front page
- Code fix to use bilingual link set in page editor if page is used as site front page
- Fix for Bilingual Linker Menu item
- Added support for custom post type archive pages
- Fix for potential XSS vulnerability
- Fix for menu items all showing translation link
- Added new item in WordPress menu builder to be able to easily add Bilingual Linker link to menu
- Modified the_bilingual_linker function so it can accept arguments as an array
- Added new option url_only that only echoes or returns the translation URL. This option is only available when sending options as an array.
- Corrected issue preventing users from specifying HTML in link test, before and after fields in admin panel
- Corrected issue with new menu suppression options
- Added options to hide translation link on front page, search page, archive pages and category pages
- Added option to be able to hide translation links on pages that don’t have a translation
- Added shortcode [the-bilingual-link]
- Added field to configure hreflang
- Corrected PHP Warnings
- Corrected problem with category meta table creation code
- Added support for multiple languages
- Added ability to assign translation links to categories
- Translation display link now works on all page types (front page, archives, search results, categories, tag)
- Created new display function (the_bilingual_link)
- Added option to specify whether the link should be echoed or sent as a function return value
- Added option to OutputBilingualLink to be able to provide a default URL to display if no translation link is found
- Fixed problem with posts extra field getting deleted
- Updated Bilingual Linker to support network installations
- Changed data storage method to use post meta data instead of custom table
- Added code to display Bilingual Linker on all post types, not only on posts and pages
- Initial functionality
- Ability to add custom link for translated text in post and page editors
- Ability to query this address from WordPress theme