The heart of a CMS is the ability to upload and insert content, WordPress does a fantastic job at this, unfortunately, some web hosts have limited servers, or users simply do not have the ability to upload large files through their web browser.
Add From Server is designed to help ease this pain, You can upload a bunch of files via FTP (Or your favourite transmission method) and simply import those files from the webserver directly into WordPress.
- What placeholders can I use in the Root path option?
You can use
In the case of
%role%, the first role which the user has is used, this can mean that in complex installs where a user has many roles that using %role% could be unreliable.
- Why does the file I want to import have a red background?
WordPress only allows the importing/uploading of certain file types to improve your security.
If you wish to add extra file types, you can use a plugin such as: https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/pjw-mime-config/ You can also enable “Unfiltered uploads” globally for WordPress if you’d like to override this security function. Please see the WordPress support forum for details.
- Where are the files saved?
If you import a file which is outside your standard upload directory (usually wp-content/uploads/) then it will be copied to your current upload directory setting as normal.
If you however import a file which is already within the uploads directory (for example, wp-content/uploads/2011/02/superplugin.zip) then the file will not be copied, and will be used as-is.
- I have a a bug report
You can report bugs in the plugins Support Forum here
I activated this plugin into my wordpress, and I translated it using the ARABIC file I downloaded.
Also I uploaded the translation file into my language/plugin directory, but I found that it doesn’t work.
So please till me how to make the translation file works.
Thanks for your great plugin. It works fine and is very easy to use.
WOW – saved me! WP refused to upload my video. So I FTP’ed it but then WP does not see it even if in right folder. But, ADD FROM SERVER will list whatever is present and when you choose a file not preciously “seen” by WP make it so. Nice. Saves me from having to fix whatever is going on with failure to upload my videos even though they are fine and play just fine nevertheless fail to upload. Now, they do via FTP and this plugin.
Just saved about 50 hours by using this plugin to move a bunch of uploads from the leftover wp-content directories of a multisite that was merged into one site. We migrated over all of the folders to preserve image links in the post_content, but couldn’t figure out a clean way to get everything into the Media Library for users to reference in the future. This plugin made short work of recursing through the directories and adding the files we needed.
This plugin is the perfect solution when you have a lot of content to upload.
Contributors & Developers
“Add From Server” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
“Add From Server” has been translated into these 7 locales: German (Formal), Russian, Italian, Czech, English (Canada), English (Australia), English (New Zealand). Thank you to the translators for their contributions.
Interested in development?
- Fixes some scenario’s where the translation warning sticks around for translated (and other english locales)
- Fixes a PHP Warning
- Support per-user locales
- Bumps required version of WordPress to 4.5+
- Security Fix: Fixes a CSRF vulnerability which could be used to trick a user into importing a large file to their site. Props to Edwin Molenaar (https://www.linkedin.com/in/edwinmolenaar)
- Fix a typo that caused subsequent plugin activations to fail if the server doesn’t meet the Add From Server requirements
- Fix a path mismatch on certain windows configurations (No longer need to specify uppercase disk markers)
- Import Audio metadata and store image/audio metadata in the same manner as core.
- Fix plugin activation
- The plugin now requires WordPress 4.0 and PHP 5.4 as a minumum requirement.
- Updated to use WordPress.org translation system, please submit translations through https://translate.wordpress.org/projects/wp-plugins/add-from-server/stable
- Updated to WordPress 4.3 styles