WordPress is continually under development. Currently, work is being completed on Phase 2 of the Gutenberg project, and Phase 3 (Collaboration) is starting in 2023. The Gutenberg project is a reimagination of the way we manage content on the web. Its goal is to broaden access to web presence, a foundation of successful modern businesses.
Phase 1 was the new block editor, Gutenberg, released in WordPress 5.0. In 2021 and 2022, we focused on merging full site editing (Phase 2) into WordPress. This introduced the Site Editor and a suite of editing capabilities that enable leveraging blocks for use across an entire website. Phase 3 is Collaborative Editing, also known as Workflows given its implementation of features for workflows and real-time collaboration. Check out the Feature Projects Overview page for more information on site editing, its components, and other active feature work.
To support the vision set in State of the Word 2022 and this Letter from WordPress’ Executive Director, the project has some big picture goals for 2023, as outlined in this post:
- All those related to Phase 3 of the Gutenberg project
- Fonts API
- Interactivity API
- Block API
- Openverse search in Core
- Navigation block
- Media management
- Simplify the release process
- PHP 8.2 compatibility (Core and Gutenberg)
- Block theme dev tools
- Custom CSS
- Custom CSS in theme variations
- Template content preservation
- Starter content in block themes
- Theme preview
- Ongoing re-engagement of events
- Community Summit planning and coordination
- Holistic contributor onboarding
- Refinement of Polyglot tools
- Continue to ship learning content at the current pace
- Update content and refresh design across wordpress.org
- Establish contributor and mentor programs
- Develop a canonical plugin program
- WordPress Playground
- Explore improvements to our contributor tools
- Create a WordPress brand discipline
- Simplify the release process (also in CMS)
- Refinement of Polyglot tools (also in Community)
- Develop a canonical plugin program (also in Community)
Want to get involved? Head on over to Make WordPress! We can always use more people to help translate, design, document, develop, and market WordPress.
Currently planned releases
Here are the current planned releases, and links to their respective milestones in our issue tracker. Any projected dates are for discussion and planning purposes, and will be firmed up as we get closer to release.
|6.2 Trac||March 28, 2023|
New features are frozen a month before a release, with the focus entirely on the quality and performance of the release.
You can see a list of past releases on our history page.
Long term roadmap
As a reminder, these are the four phases outlined in the Gutenberg project:
The Four Phases of Gutenberg
- Easier Editing — Already available in WordPress, with ongoing improvements
- Customization — Full site editing, block patterns, block directory, block themes
- Collaboration — A more intuitive way to co-author content
- Multi-lingual — Core implementation for Multi-lingual sites