nohea
Forum Replies Created
-
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Display excerpt on homepage when the blog is in a subdirectoryGreat, filosofo, well, that’s what I wanted the plugin just to do for me, and I’m glad this is how you had meant it to work. It reassures me to know it was the intent all along. π
Mutahir: I used the excerpt_reloaded plugin (http://guff.szub.net/2005/02/26/the-excerpt-reloaded/) and placed the tag inside a Loop in home.php π
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Display excerpt on homepage when the blog is in a subdirectoryAlright, I can safely say your plugin now works. Thanks a lot for it, filosofo. Selecting a random page created in the drop-down menu makes the home.php be used as homepage. Shouldn’t it display the page selected instead, though ? I do have a page.php template, so logically, nothing hampers one of those pages to be displayed…
Anyway, for now it’s doing what I want. I’m just worried that it does not make really sense to work like that and I’m anxious that it should stop working one day. π
Cheers. π
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Display excerpt on homepage when the blog is in a subdirectoryAh, no! It wasn’t really working, but there was no error.php setup, so it kept returning the index.php, giving me the illusion I had successfully set the blog to look the way I wanted. I guess I may give the plugin another go later then. π
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Display excerpt on homepage when the blog is in a subdirectoryI managed it all without the plugin. π
/me kneels at the altar of WordPress.
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Display excerpt on homepage when the blog is in a subdirectoryThe permalinks work, those you mean: http://urbangriffin.com/unjour/news/2006/05/25/hello-world/ ? I did the procedure to have “Pretty” permalinks, and each post displays one.
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Display excerpt on homepage when the blog is in a subdirectoryAlright, so, now I have the WP install in its own directory (http://urbangriffin.com/unjour/wordpress/). I set the blog homepage in the general options to be http://urbangriffin.com/unjour/ and the actual blog to be in http://urbangriffin.com/unjour/news/ in the Home-page control options. I have a ‘home.php’ template in my theme folder, but it’s not picking it up. The homepage shows the same content as the blog content in the sub-directory, instead of the special semi-static content I coded in home.php… π
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Display excerpt on homepage when the blog is in a subdirectoryThank you, filsofo. So I activated your plugin, and made a fresh install of WP in the subdirectory of my domain where I will want the blog to be (http://urbangriffin.com/unjour/news/). Now, I don’t find how to create a semi-static homepage that will sit in the parent directory (http://urbangriffin.com/unjour/) and other static pages like an ‘About’ page (http://urbangriffin.com/about/) or a ‘FAQ’ page (http://urbangriffin.com/faq/).
What are the steps exactly, or did I not follow the instructions correctly ? π
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Single-post frontpageI found this great plugin: http://guff.szub.net/2005/02/26/the-excerpt-reloaded/. I’m amazed. WordPress is so cool. I wish I hadn’t been afraid by all the PHP snippets when I first began building my site last winter. I want to move my own personal stuff here now!
I would have one last question, now…
Well, probably two in fact:
I have limited the archive links on my frontpage to display only a link to the most recent monthly archive. How to customize that to ‘More news…’ or ‘News’ instead of a date format ?
WP will be installed in a root directory, like so: http://unjour.ch, and I would like to have the archives sit in a subdirectory in it called ‘/news/’ if possible. Is that feasable ?
Thanks all! You’ve been very kind already.
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: How do I list the 5 most recent posts?How do I also list the 5 or 10 most recent posts in a sidebar while skipping the posts already present and being viewed on the frontpage with this tag ?
Thanks for any help. π
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Single-post frontpageThank you, Moshu, especially for indicating how to add a second sidebar. I had figured how to do seperate archives already but for the index.php, had in fact removed the
<? get_sidebar(); ?>and had hardcoded there its own sidebar in its place. Charle97’s idea was interesting and I will keep it in the drawer for other uses.Concerning the ‘More…’ feature:
The rest of the post continues, but when viewed on the non-single/non-permalink web page such as archives, categories, front page, and searches, the post is shown as an excerpt to the more point.
I would like a post to be displayed as an excerpt only on the frontpage but to be uncut when viewed in an archive, category or search page. I have used the
content ()and<!--more-->technique so far. If I try to tweak the archive.php template, I do not seem to be able to achieve this.Any ideas ? π
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Single-post frontpageFantastic, thanks! I can’t believe I’ve done most of the blog in one evening.
I would have one more touch to bring, which would be to have the ‘Read more’ link function only when a recent post is displayed on the frontpage. When visiting the Archives or Category pages, I would like the posts to appear in their entirety without having to follow the ‘More’ link to the single entry page.
Would somebody know something about this and like to share ? π
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Single-post frontpageAlright, I’ve got the differentiated sidebars for index vs. archives part down. I cannot find a thread on posting a single entry on the frontpage with just “single post” yet, however…
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: Single-post frontpageThank you. I’m up to the customizing job if anyone would kindly walk me through the main steps or hand me some tips to start me off… ? This is my first thorough attempt at setting up a WP blog, and I’d be very grateful for any help.