Forum Replies Created

Viewing 7 replies - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Thread Starter janco

    (@janco)

    Thanks, Peter!

    Given what you’ve written, I’m assuming by “delete the plugin,” you mean just delete it via ftp, then reupload the plugin via ftp without deactivating and deleting it via the plugins dashboard.

    Or do you indeed mean via the dashboard?

    Please correct me if I’m mistaken.

    Cheers,

    Jan C.

    Thread Starter janco

    (@janco)

    Thanks for getting back to me, Peter.

    It’s a dev site and the url is http://www.usabledocs.com/ultpoolcare/ . The menu items in question are in the submenus.

    Please note that I’ve only set up minimal css for the Responsive menu, but it does display in screen widths under 980px so that you can see what I mean.

    Cheers,

    Jan

    I agree with what Peter said.

    One of my developer clients had the same problem with the latest version of the plugin. After restoring a copy of the .htaccess file generated by an older version of the plugin, his client’s site is back up and running.

    I should note that this is a temporary fix at best, even if the settings for the plugin aren’t changed. Without a thorough inspection of the plugin’s code and a fix for the issue, there’s no telling what might happen moving forward.

    Jan C.

    I agree with what Peter said.

    One of my developer clients had the same problem with the latest version of the plugin. After restoring a copy of the .htaccess file generated by an older version of the plugin, his client’s site is back up and running.

    I should note that this is a temporary fix at best, even if the settings for the plugin aren’t changed. Without a thorough inspection of the plugin’s code and a fix for the issue, there’s no telling what might happen moving forward.

    Jan C.

    Can you supply a url where the issue can be observed?

    Jan C.

    I’d just like to take the time to thank the developers of WordPress for their fantastic efforts. These people put in many hours of their own time, using skills and knowledge that’s taken them a good bit of effort to learn themselves, all while asking for nothing in return. In my eyes, that’s a really big plus in these days and times, what with everything going on in the world. Now for the question at hand.

    I haven’t tested anil’s solution and probably won’t, since the install script looks like it’s only used during initial installation or upgrades. I did experience the same issue though, but was able to get past the install screen by directly making a simple modification to the content in the MySQL database (see WAMP on VISTA, minor WP install issue?). That said, I’ll bet dollars to donuts that those experiencing the same problem can use the same work around to eventually end up at the login screen, and in-turn, the admin screen. All you’ve got to is modify the encrypted password in the database that the installation script creates on install.

    I realize a number of folks have little or no experience with tools like phpMyAdmin and/or MySQL databases, but they’re really not that hard to learn. And you probably want to learn how to use tools like them, especially if you’re going to use a free product like WordPress that might have an over-looked kink or two in its source code. Issues *always* arise during code development that take time and a great deal of testing to sort out. Sometimes that testing ends up extending itself into the release phase, during which actual users come across errors that the developers didn’t experience before releasing their product(s). I suspect something like that has happened here.

    If you’re finding that anil’s solution isn’t working for you after copying and pasting his code into the installation script, download and install a copy of a tool like phpMyAdmin (The phpMyAdmin Project), export a copy of your WordPress database for safe keeping, then delete it from MySQL. That’ll help prevent the installation script from hanging when it looks to see if a WordPress installation already exists. Then run the installation script again and let everyone know if anil’s fix worked.

    janco

    Thread Starter janco

    (@janco)

    egads, I see others were having the same issues while I was fishing around in phpMyAdmin (see WordPress database error Table New Setup).

    So it’s probably not related to WAMP or Vista.

    Duh… next time I’ll try searching the forum.

    janco

Viewing 7 replies - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)