Dan Butcher
Forum Replies Created
-
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: setting front page options in 2.1OK–I had 1.5, so I uploaded 1.6. It still doesn’t work.
I should have noted that I had to alter Cutline to get all my pages to display in the navigation. For some reason, it has only 3 pages hard-coded into the header.php file. I replaced that with this:
<?php wp_list_pages('sort_column=menu_order&depth=1&title_li='); ?>
so that only top-level pages will appear.Perhaps the better question for me to ask is this: What code needs to be in the template files to work with the front page option set to static front page. I’ve not been able to find anything about that.
Another question: does it matter what the page slug is for the front page?
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: setting front page options in 2.1But it doesn’t seem to work when I used the default theme either.
Forum: Themes and Templates
In reply to: Can I edit WP Theme in Dreamweaver?I have to agree with kb3hfp–when I edit css and php files in DW8, they consistently cause errors in WP. But if I edit them in TextWrangler, they don’t. For instance, when I uploaded my css file after editing in DW, on the presentation page, the entire css file showed, instead of just the title. Similarly, I edited a plugin in DW8, and the entire file showed up on the plugins page, instead of just the title and description, even though I didn’t mess with that information.
I would be interested to know which versions others who have posted are using–could it be a problem specific to DW8?
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: excerpt configuration on archives pagesOne more note: creating my own excerpts means that my excerpts can be formatted; the default excerpt strips all code, and so linebreaks and other formatting is lost. This means the excerpts look better too.
Forum: Fixing WordPress
In reply to: excerpt configuration on archives pagesMoshu–
Thanks for the information. I looked at the plugin but decided it was going to do what I could accomplish with existing tools. This is what I did:
1) I realized that if I created my own excerpt, the […] no longer appeared, so that eliminated one of my problems.
2) In playing around the with the excerpts, I determined that ending the excerpt in the middle of a phrase makes it more obvious that it’s an incomplete post, and I also added … so that it was clear that there was more to read.
2) In archive.php, I added this code to beginning of the postmetadata display (the php and link I simply copied from what surrounds the post title):
<p class="postmetadata">" rel="bookmark" title="Permanent Link to <?php the_title(); ?>">read the entire post » | Posted in ...
This puts the link right before the categories; this way, the read more link doesn’t add another line to the entry.