• Hi. Not sure what happened when I attempted to upgrade last night. I followed the tamba2.org instructions to the letter with no variation. Then I ran the upgrade.php, received the “You’re all done!” type message, and when I surfed to the blog I got a blank page with “No input file specified”. Everything was gone. I had to go back to my 1.2.2 installation and restore my database to get my blog back. Any clue what happened?

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • I am actually very interested in what is hapening, and how it is either avoided or cured.
    Many people are yet to upgrade so any and all snippets of info will prove to be very useful.

Thread Starter sylday

(@sylday)

After restoring the database and returning to my previous files last night, the blog worked until this morning. When I attempted to edit a comment, the blog crashed. Now my blog is completely nonfunctional and returns a 500 server error.

a 500 is a .htaccess error.

On upgrade, did you redo the rules ?
    Rename the htaccess
    Upload a blank file, chmod to 666 rename it to .htaccess
    Go to Options > permalinks
    Redo the structure

Thread Starter sylday

(@sylday)

I’m using my old install. Should I still redo the htaccess?

Where is htaccess located normally?

Moderator James Huff

(@macmanx)

Volunteer Moderator

In the same directory as all of the wordpress files.

@fireflybeads: .htaccess in the WordPress root/start directory.

That is what I would think… but my blog does not have one. :-/ Should I have created one when I set up my blog? (oops)

To create a .htaccess doesn’t hurt … and WordPress might need it to work properly … 😉

Ok – done. I uploaded a blank .htaccess file and cmod’ed to 666. My blog has been working all along… and (thankfully) still works. Is this a security feature, or?

Thread Starter sylday

(@sylday)

Okay, creating a new .htaccess brought my old blog back online. Now, looking at the tamba2 list of files to delete, the .htaccess is not listed as one of them so I didn’t delete it. Is this why my install failed last night? Is that what caused the “no input file specified” problem? Now my old version of WP displays this under the Options tab:

Database error: [Table ‘wordpress.wp_optiongroups’ doesn’t exist]
    SELECT group_id, group_name, group_desc, group_longdesc FROM wp_optiongroups ORDER BY group_id

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/home/sday/www/htdocs/blog/wp-admin/options-head.php on line 10

.htaccess can be used for security and combating spammers as well.

WP uses it mostly for Permalinks:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks

Question from:
    http://www.tamba2.org.uk/wordpress/upgrade/

RE:
    Update the stylesheet import line in index.php. Replace this:
    @import url( <?php echo get_settings(‘siteurl’); ?>/wp-layout.css );
    with this:

@import url( <?php bloginfo(‘stylesheet_url’); ?> );

My root index.php doesn’t have this code. It only has:

<?php
    //* Don’t remove this line. */
    //require(‘./wp-blog-header.php’);
    ?>

That is the whole file. Was this edited prior to the download being available (and after your tutorial was written?)

Thanks

nevermind – was looking in new files! { 😮 }

THANK YOU!

I followed the instructions at http://www.tamba2.org.uk/wordpress/upgrade/ and the upgrade worked perfectly! I still have it on the default and will be tweaking it quite a bit over the next few days as I figure everything out, but just wanted to say thanks for all of the help here, and to WordPress and the author of the upgrade tutorial site. (Plus all of the developers, etc.) Off to add in a ‘thank you donation’ for this site – thanks again!

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • The topic ‘[1.5] Upgrade problems’ is closed to new replies.