This WordPress plugin allows images to be uploaded to a photo-blog using the
Windows XP Publish to Web Wizard. The current implementation requires the
excellent Yet Another Photo Blog’ plugin from J.P.Jarolim to be installed
When this plugin is activated, an additional Options page is added titled XP-Upload.
This page contains a link that will lead to the download of a xppubwiz.reg file,
containing the necessary windows registry settings to enable the upload functionality.
Register the entries in this file by double-clicking the file. When done so, select
some images in explorer, and in the left pane select the “publish to web” option.
There you will find your blog.
- Is it secure?
Only registered users can use this wizard. The plugin reuses WordPress’ security/login mechanisms, so basically
if a user is allowed to post, he or she is allowed to use this publish wizard.
- Hey, no image is uploaded!
For some reason there are many issues regarding image upload. Here some hints on why no image seems to be uploaded:
- Make sure that YAPB is installed, because this wizard only works in combination with that
- Make sure you have enough memory. Memory problems occur often when processing the images. This may lead to situations that the image is uploaded, but not displayed.
- Make sure that the image is not too large, resulting in a timeouts or file-upload-size refusals.
- I deactivated this plugin and it still shows up in Windows XP!
Yep, that happens. Regrettably you can not remove registry entries using .reg files. This means that you will have to delete those entries by hand. Note: Manually editing registry entries may harm your PC’s install. For those who dare:
- Go to the XP ‘start’ menu, and click ‘run…’
- type ‘regedit’ in the run dialog box and press enter
- browse to
- there, select your site. It will typically start with
- make really sure you have selected your site
- press delete. regedit will ask for confirmation: “Are you sure you want to delete this key and all of its subkeys?”
- If you’re really sure, click ‘Yes’
- Done, your site should be gone from the wizard’s menus.