xili-postinpost provides a triple toolkit to insert post(s) everywhere in webpage – outside or inside WP loop – . The displayed post(s) are resulting of queries (see codex) like those in WP loop but not interfere with main WP loop. Widget contains conditional syntax.
- Template tag function
xi_postinpost()– see source ,
- shortcode like
[xilipostinpost query="p=1"]or like
A shortcode like
<blockquote>[xilipostinpost query="cat=3,4,150&showposts=2" lang="cur"]</blockquote>with param
curgive a result according the current language (example: inside an undefined page displayed according browser language).
and widget with powerful syntax for contextual display of query’s result.
are available for developers, authors and webmasters.
In widget (and template tag), if option is set, it is possible to choose display period and expiration date.
In widget – if xili-language plugin active – to combine a query and the current language use params like
[query="cat=14" lang="cur"] with square bracket
 and lang set cur. Don’t put cur in query. See screenshot.
For each post of the resulting list, the displayed result is hightly customizable and can contain title, excerpt, content, thumbnail image with or without link to the post as single.
Paging is preserved even if a shortcode is used in a list of posts.
New with 1.6.2 :
- Last Updated 2016-02-10
- see tab and chapters in changelog
- Tested on WP mono and multisite mode.
Why this plugin ?
xili-postinpost is compromise between minimum php coding (but not accessible by everybody) and end-user tool (like widget) – but with lot of php lines in background – to afford flexibility for webmaster and data-designer for CMS. The core function of the plugin (
xi_postinpost() ) and its rich argument (array with lot params) was created 4 years ago to insert by example a recent news in header, a target post inside blockquote set in content of a page or a post. Doing a public version is like finishing a book. Remind that free code is not gratis, include fees in quotation for commercial use or clients and donate. For free use, send an email!
Are the queries recursive in widget ?
No, it is only possible to combine one true and another one if the first is false: the syntax is
[condition=… query=…]:[query=…]. The second part can have is own condition as in screenshot 6.
Upload the xili-postinpost plugin to your blog, Activate it. Go to settings.
If you want to use widget, go to Widgets menu of Appearance menu.
To use shortcode inside post’s content, refer to examples provided in these posts here.
To use core functions of plugin, as developer, refer directly to code source before inserting (and echoing result) of the function in your theme.
- a minimum of knowledges about queries (as end part of short link) like
- how are organized datas and semantic in the CMS website.
- able to read WordPress Codex !
- for results formatting, some knowlegdges in html and class – xili-postinpost don’t install style but is able to set html and class if option is enabled for widget or by adding params in shortcode.
- What is – xili-postinpost – versus – Recent Posts – delivered by WP as default widget ?
Recent Posts only displays title with link of latest posts from all categories.
With xili-postinpost it is possible to choose what to display and which categories or tags associated with post (and html tags or class).
- In template tag `xi_postinpost`: is it possible to use query passed as array ?
YES, see below an example using array and userfunction (formatting the result of query differently than default) :
<?php echo xi_postinpost( array( 'showposts' => '4' , 'query' => array( 'category__and' => array( $cat_id, 7 ) ), 'userfunction' => 'xili_pip_banner' ) ); ?>
- What is – conditional – display ?
Currently the result of widget is ever displayed. Here it is possible to use function (currents or made by webmaster) to decide when to display according context. By example if you use
is_page, if the condition return true, the widget show the result here when a page is displayed in website. Another example with
1,5,87in the query input : when one these three categories is shown, the widget show the resulting list.
- What happens if the condition is not true ?
If the condition is false, you can decide to show result of another query. If the condition is not inside the conditional template tags, it is possible
to create and use a conditional function created by you (in functions.php).
- In widget, what is the code to see latest posts in current language ?
Very simple :
- In widget, what is the code to select two queries according current language ?
In this case, condition uses a function available with xili_language :
[condition='is_xili_curlang' param='fr_fr' query='p=4953']:[query='p=4972']
fr_fris passed to function
is_xili_curlang, so the first query is fired only if french webpage.
The result adapts and displays the content (can be image+text) according webpage language.
- When using shortcode, the result display excerpt under the title, why ?
See the topic here in forum
- What is – from to – feature introduced in 0.9.2 ?
The webmaster is able to define a period (a slot) when the widget is visible in sidebar (or the shortcode is display inside the content). By example: for an advertising post or an article for a future meeting which disappears the day after the meeting (expiration date).
- Is xili-post-in-post compatible with xili-language trilogy ?
- Support Forum or contact form ?
Effectively, prefer forum to obtain some support.
Contributors & Developers
“xili Post in Post” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- compatible with glotpress – text domain (and .po/.mo filenames) same as plugin name
- readme – support form
- 2015-05-08 widget now display chosen size of image, param featuredimagesize (as in function or shorcode), new FAQ
- 2015-04-21 readme updated for WP 4.2
- 2014-12-22 improves query if permalinks, inside front_page and xili_language active
- 2014-12-18 WPLANG as function – WP 4.0+ – add do_action before/after widget_text filter (to patch Karma theme – Thanks to Ella)
- fixes assets images src
- add filter ‘xili_postinpost_nopost’ for nopost result (concerns developers)
- 2014-05-02 – incorporate is_preview method used in theme customize (no cache) for realtime settings
- 2014-03-05 – new param “more” for get_the_content
- Text Domain added in header
- add 2 wp-pointers
- 2014-02-18 – new versioning (for WP 3.8+) – clean source
- 2013-03-25 – add titlelink param in shortcode, fixes notice – widget & class _construct (need php5) – tests 3.6
- 2013-01-28 – fixes support settings
- 2012-11-22 – option via filter (
xili_postinpost_query) for complex presetted queries (shortcode or template_tag) usable in mailing list plugin, add param for no post msg, default option for editlink for author
- 2012-04-06 – pre-tests with WP 3.4: fixes metaboxes columns
- 2012-01-17 – add param lang in shortcode (as in widget for the_curlang)
- 2011-11-27 – serialize for cache if query is array as possible in template tag
- 2011-10-21 – add user function param (userfunction) to define your own displayed resulting loop
- 2011-06-06 – fixes, source code cleaned, support email improved
- 2011-01-17 – fixes pagination when paginated parent has paginated children (thanks to Piotr)
- 2010-12-11 – add option for better html and css styles choice in widget.
- 2010-12-10 – fixes featured image ever as link and load textdomain for UI, add featured image params in shortcode
- 2010-11-29 – fixes message mistake when no post (warning)
- 2010-11-28 – From to features added
- 2010-11-21 – fixes doc and more docs
- 2010-11-14 – settings admin and pre-doc
- 2010-11-12 – first public release w/o settings admin
© 2016-02-10 – MS – dev.xiligroup.com