This plugin was born out of a very simple need. Back in the day, when the wpautop filter was really sucky, I got annoyed and turned it off for my blog. However, years later, me (but mostly my co-author, Halfgaar) got equally annoyed by having to manually type in all the angle brackets. I wanted to turn on the filter again, but I didn’t want this to affect all my old posts. Hence this plugin. See this blog post for more history.
- Unzip the plugin in the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- How do I turn off automatic formatting for a post?
Add a custom field called
wpautopto any post. When set to
off, WordPress will no longer attempt to add
<br>tags to your posts (so you’ll be responsible for adding these yourself).
- How do I turn on automatic formatting for a post?
You can set the field’s value to
onif you do want WordPress to use its
wpautopfilter to add
<br>tags for you. (Of course, this only makes sense if you’ve globally disabled
wpautopin the included option screen.)
- How do I turn of line-end break insertions?
Set the field’s value to ‘-break’ to just disable the conversion of newlines to
<br>tags within paragraphs.
- I upgraded the plugin and it lost my default settings!
No, it didn’t. Disable and re-enable the plugin and the setting should be updated to the new setting.
It works. thanks
I have a premium theme with a lot of plugins activated and this plugin worked right out of the box. Thank you!
Needed to remove pesky break tags from a form, the plugin did it in seconds.
Contributors & Developers
“wpautop control” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Re-enabled some
- Upgrade routine to update old boolean option (
wpautop_on_by_default) to new option (
- Fixed Markdown in readme.txt plugin documentation.
- Jesse Jacobson contributed a new feature, which disables only the conversion of newlines into
<br>tags within paragraphs. This is useful, for example, when writing Markdown with a text editor like Vim.
- Updated description so that it mentions “angle brackets” instead of “curly braces”.
- Improved readme.txt so that usage instructions turn up in the FAQ instead of in Other Notes.
- Clarified option screen. It seemed to be causing confusion.
- Instead of just true/false, you can now also use yes/no or on/off in the wpautop custom field.
- First release