- Use WordPress 3.1 – Older Versions will cause trouble
WP4Labs is a small Plugin, wich provides some functions to manange a lab or a scientific group. I designed it for the websites of two Biolabs. It’s far away from being my first WP-Plugin, but it’s the first one I want to publish. I tested it in four or five WP-installtions on dofferent servers, and it seems to all OK.
It provides the following parts:
– An advanced User Profile, containing some fields for academic career dates
– in connection with that a connection to the ariw.org-database of scientific institutions wordl wide, to make it easer finding a specific institution and it’s URL
– the possibility to manage users in academic groups, such as Alumni, Post-Doc, P.I. and such (customizable)
– a local-avatar function which maintains the possibility for users to use a Gravatar (maybe someday I should take this one out and make a own plugin out of it)
– a post-type called ‘project’, to which you can connect users to (scientific) groups. Only users with P.I.-status (for being leader of the group) can add or remove users.
A nice backend integration is built, I also ship some example templates to learn, how to integrate the provided functions to your theme.
For your template, build the following templates:
archive-biofoo_project.php – This gives an overview of the existing projects.
single-biofoo_project.php – Watch a single project.
Also you can edit your author.php to display the additional information.
The plugin contains some useful functions building these templates:
Throw a from get_userinfo (not get_users!) or such into it, to get the advanced profile information.
ba_degree or $user->ma_degree) or $user->phd_degree) : ?>
ba_degree) : ?>B.A.ba_degree; ?>
ma_degree) : ?>M.A.ma_degree; ?>
phd_degree) : ?>Ph.D.phd_degree; ?>
echo_project_members(, , )
Displays (or returns) alls members of a project:
INT or STRING
The Id of a post with type biofoo_project. Instead of a post_id you may use the string keyword ‘all’ to get all users of the blog.
Knows the following styles:
* ‘longlist’ -> All members below each other with avatar and academic information.
* ‘boxes’ -> Boxes with
* ‘text’ -> The names of all members in a line as clickable links.
* ‘return’ -> Displays nothing but returns an array with the members of the project.
If set to false, users, which are in passive user groups like alumni are not displayed.
Displays the leading members (P.I.s) of a project.
Displays a list of projects, a user is member of.
* Renamed file and folder to wp4labs.
- Where is the advanced user profile?
Build a new user. Save it. Now edit it. Now the new field should be visible.
- Ariw.org-Database is not reachable
The plugin tries two ways of connecting to the Database. Under some circumstances both fail, due to security settings of your server. In that case, I can’t anything for you.