Video sitemap is a way to help search engine discover your videos and index them accordingly. It also allows you to link one video to a specific post/page
WP Video SEO Features
- Generate a sitemap for your YouTube videos
- Reduce the time taken by the search engine to index your videos
- Allow search engine to display a thumbnail of the video along with the title and description of the post/page
WP Video SEO Plugin Usage
Video Sitemap Generation
The plugin is fairly simple to use. Once you have installed the plugin go to the settings menu of the plugin from your WP Dashboard (Settings->WP Video SEO). Click on the “Generate Video Sitemap” button which will create a video sitemap in the root directory of your site. Check to make sure that the file “sitemap-video.xml” has been created.
If you make any changes to your existing posts/pages the sitemap will be updated automatically. So you just need to generate it once. The full URL to your video sitemap usually looks like the following:
If you are using Google Webmaster Tools you can submit the “sitemap-video.xml” file as a sitemap which will allow you to monitor the index status of your videos.
For detailed documentation please visit the WordPress Video SEO plugin page
- Go to the Add New plugins screen in your WordPress admin area
- Click the upload tab
- Browse for the plugin file (wp-video-seo.zip)
- Click Install Now and then activate the plugin
- Now, go to the settings menu of the plugin and generate a video sitemap.
- Can this plugin be used to optimize the seo of my YouTube videos?
- Can this plugin be used to generate a sitemap for my YouTube videos?
Our site is almost entirely made up of videos but this plugin only recognises 2 out of 27. It is not working properly
Don’t usually like to put 1 star but this one is a reason too. I am not putting my whole root directory in 777 permissions to make it available for hackers to get to my website. Since, this plugin is doing that. I am skipping this one big time.
You’re welcome. It’s good to hear that you like the plugin.
Contributors & Developers
“WP Video SEO” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Plugin is now compatible with WordPress 4.3
- Plugin is now compatible with WordPress 4.1
- Plugin now works with WordPress 3.8
- Plugin is now compatible with WordPress 3.7
- fixed a bug in the plugin so “&”,”‘s” and other characters don’t break the video title and description
- Plugin is now compatible with WordPress 3.6
- First commit