13 February 2017 ~ Version 2.2 Released!
base64 strings containing
No complicated settings to deal with;
- Deactivate/delete any current caching or minification plugins
- Install WP Roids
- Activate WP Roids
- Log out
- Refresh your home page TWICE
“It broke my site, arrrrrrgh!”
Do the following steps, having your home page open in another browser. Or log out after each setting change if using the same browser. After each step refresh your home page TWICE
- Switch your site’s theme to “Twenty Seventeen”. If it then works, you have a moody theme
- If still broken, disable all plugins except WP Roids. If WP Roids starts to work, we have a plugin conflit
- Reactivate each plugin one by one and refresh your home page each time time until it breaks
- Log a support topic and tell me as much as you can about what happened
How Fast Is It?
In testing, WP Roids was FASTER than:
- WP Super Cache
- W3 Total Cache
- WP Fastest Cache
- Comet Cache
- …and many more!
See the screenshots tab for test results
Where Can I Check Site Speed?
Either of these two sites is good:
In addition to the WordPress Requirements, WP Roids requires the following:
.htaccessfile to be writable
some security plugins disable this, so just turn this protection off for a minute during install/activation
PHP version greater than 5.4
It WILL throw errors on activation if not! No damage should occur though
PHP cURL extension enabled
Usually is by default on most decent hosts
Under The Hood
- User is not logged in
- User doesn’t have an active WooCommerce basket, even in not logged in
- Current view is a Page or Post (or Custom Post Type)
- Current view is NOT an Archive i.e. list of Posts (or Custom Post Types)
- Current view has not received an HTTP POST request e.g. a form submission
- Current view is not a WooCommerce Basket/Checkout page
.html file copy saved in the cache folder.
The cache automatically clears itself on Page/Post changes, Theme switches and Plugin activations/deactivations
Copyright: © 2017 Philip K Meadows (coded in Great Britain)
Released under the terms of the GNU General Public License
Credits / Additional Acknowledgments
- Software designed for WordPress®
- Photograph of Lance Armstrong
- Source: http://www.newsactivist.com/en/articles/604-103-lf/lance-armstrong-cheater-0
- Used without permission, but “Fair Use” for the purposes of caricature and parody
NOTE: WP Roids requires the
.htaccess file to have permissions set to 644 at time of activation. Some security plugins (quite rightly) change the permissions to disable editing. Please temporarily disable this functionality for a moment whilst activating WP Roids.
The quickest and easiest way to install is via the
Plugins > Add New feature within WordPress®. But if you must, manual installation instructions follow…
- Download and unzip the latest release zip file.
- If you use the WordPress plugin uploader to install this plugin skip to step 4.
- Upload the entire plugin directory to your
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress Administration.
- Is WP Roids compatible with iThemes Security?
Yes. But if you have
.htaccessprotected (Security > Settings > System Tweaks), you will need to disable this when activating WP Roids. You can re-enable it after activation
- Is WP Roids compatible with Jetpack?
- Is WP Roids compatible with Yoast SEO?
- Is WP Roids compatible with WooCommerce?
- Is WP Roids compatible with Storefront Theme for WooCommerce?
- Is WP Roids compatible with Storefront Pro (Premium) plugin for WooCommerce?
- Is WP Roids compatible with WPBakery Visual Composer?
- Is WP Roids compatible with Page Builder by SiteOrigin?
- Is WP Roids compatible with Genesis Framework and Themes?
Yes. Though I have only tested with Metro Pro theme
- Is WP Roids compatible with the “Instagram Feed” plugin?
Yes, but you must tick the “Are you using an Ajax powered theme?” option to “Yes”
- Is WP Roids compatible with the “Disqus Comment System” plugin?
- Is WP Roids compatible with the “Visual Form Builder” plugin?
- Is WP Roids compatible with the “Simple Share Buttons Adder” plugin?
- Is WP Roids compatible with Cloudflare?
Yes, but you may want to flush your Cloudflare cache after activating WP Roids. Also disable the minification options at Cloudflare
- Does WP Roids work on NGINX servers?
Maybe. See this support question
- Does WP Roids work on IIS (Windows) servers?
Just wanted to reach out and give credit where credit is due…WP Roids is quick becoming a nice addition to my list of mandatory installs during WP Theme setup. You did a great job developing this plugin. I look forward to seeing, testing, and using more of your products.
Nice! Thanks a lot for making this plugin! 🙂
So I have been working with a very complex WP site and having issues with site speeds. I have tried most of the popular cache plugins (both free and paid) without much performance improvement. (maybe 10% +/- 2%) So I run across WP Roids and decided to give it a run after reading the claims. To my surprise it has worked FAR BETTER than every other plugin implemented. With other plugins the Pingdom score was 73 at best, with the best load time of 4.62 seconds. I then performed the same test more than 20 times with WP Roids active and the Pingdom score has been 94-98 consistently! The load time has not exceeded 2.47 seconds! — I must say I am very impressed and would suggest WP Roids to all.
Just for those that might be interested, very useful as you do not need to configure ANYTHING on a single site, ..however does not work with WPMU due to rewrite rules.
Not sure if this is in devs timeline. ..that said neither does WP Fastest Cache.
It seems to work on par with Comet Cache, from a handful of tests on different sites.
One thing though…
And I’m not sure how you could tackle this.
But I need to see changes in the design after having made them. Comet clears the cache after a save. I cleared the cache with Roids, but the changes didn’t take effect.
But it’s a sweet little plugin. Love the fact that it’s plug and play.
Contributors & Developers
“WP Roids” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
base64strings containing two or more
//as a comment and deleting them
Improved: Fallback serving of cache files via PHP when
.htaccesshas a hiccup was sometimes pulling single post file on achive pages :/
Fixed: Regex tweak for handling
data:imagebackground images in CSS
Fixed: Regex tweak where some
base64encoded strings containing two or more
/being stripped believing they were comments
Fixed: There is a teeny-tiny glitch in WPBakery’s Visual Composer that was causing massive display errors
Improved: Negated the need to deactivate and reactivate to remove v1
<!-- WP Roids comments -->with better explanations
Improved: Some additional cookie and WooCommerce checks
- Minor Fix: Code to remove v1 rules from
.htaccessDEACTIVATE AND REACTIVATE WP ROIDS ASAP
v2.0.0 MASSIVE NEW IMPROVEMENTS!
- Some inline items were being missed out or rendered improperly
- Absolute paths to some assets such as images and fonts loaded via
@font-facewere sometimes incorrect
- Some items were queued twice
- Some items were not queued at all!
Fixed: HTML minification was sometimes removing legitimate spaces, for example between two
Fixed: Caching function was sometimes running twice, adding unecessary overhead
- New: Function checking in background
.htaccesscontent is OK, with automatic/silent reboot of plugin if not
- New: Additional explanatory HTML
<-- comments -->added to bottom of cache pages
- Fixed: Issue with PHP
.htaccesswas causing plugin to not activate at all or silently deactivate upon next login
- Fixed: Regex to remove inline JS comments was failing if no space after
- Imprevement: Compatability check when activating new plugins. On failure automatically deactivates WP Roids and restores
.htaccessrewritebase error, was killing some sites dead AF, sorry
.htaccessPHP fallback has conditions checking user not logged in
- Fixed: WordFence JS conflict fixed
- Disabled the debug logging script, you don’t need me filling your server up!
- Fixed: Directories and URLs management for assets
- Fixed: Localized scripts with dependencies now requeued with their data AND new cache script dependency
- For CSS, now deals with conditional stylesheets e.g.
<!--[if lt IE 9]>, this was causing a few hiccups
/* <![CDATA[ */
- Minification process now does newlines first, then whitespace. Was the other way around, which could cause issues
- For CSS, now deals with conditional stylesheets e.g.
- Fixed: Sorry, I meant site domain !== FALSE. I’m an idiot, going to bed
- Fixed: Removed googleapis.com = FALSE check of v1.1.1 and replaced with site domain = TRUE check
- Fixed: Check for WooCommerce assets made more specific to WC core only, now excludes “helper” WC plugins
- Fixed: Version numbering blip
- Fixed: Encoding of
.htaccessrules template changed from Windows to UNIX as was adding extra line breaks
- Fixed: Additional check to avoid googleapis.com assets being considered “local”
- Fixed: Removed lookup of non-existent parameter from “Flush Cache” links
- “Flush Cache” links and buttons added
- Five minutes applied to browser caching (was previously an hour)
- Whole HTML cache flush on Page/Post create/update/delete, so that home pages/widgets etc. are updated
- Fixed: PHP Workaround for hosts who struggle with basic
.htaccessrewrites :/ #SMH
- Fixed: Additional checks before editing
.htaccessas sometimes lines were being repeated, my bad
- Fixed: For you poor souls who are hosted with 1&1, a bizarre home directory inconsistency
- Fixed: Scheduled task to flush HTML cache hourly wasn’t clearing properly on deactivation
- Initial release