Users who have not been assigned any Roles or Capabilities are called ‘orphans’. When using the shared users table trick to link up multiple WordPress installations, users who register on one of your blogs, are not given any privileges on the other blogs in the network. WP-Orphanage is a plugin that automatically adopts your orphan users by promoting them to the role of your choosing. By default it is the same as the default role set in the WP Options.
It does it in two ways:
- Users who try to login to a different blog in the network than the one they signed up on, will be promoted at the time of login. The user won’t even know that it happened.
- When the admin logs into the blog and views the users page, all orphan users – for that blog – are promoted automatically.
By taking a just in time approach, this plugin will not add any noticeable overhead to your WordPress blogs, while providing a seamless experience for the users and administrators.
The WP-Orphanage plugin was developed by Eric Marden, and is provided with out warranty under the GPLv2 License. More info and other plugins at: http://xentek.net
Copyright 2008 Eric Marden (email : firstname.lastname@example.org)
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA
- Download the wp-orphanage.zip file, unzip and upload the whole directory to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Edit the plugin options to set the role you would like users to be promoted to.
- As an admin you can visit the Users page to automatically upgrade all orphan users of that blog to that role. Users who login before you do that will also get the same treatment (but only for their account).
- Why Would I Want This?
If you are using the
CUSTOM_USER_META_TABLEin your wp-config.php, you’re probably going to want this.
Contributors & Developers
“WP-Orphanage” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Fixed a bug so that all users are promoted to the proper role, and not just the first 50.
- Bug Fix: Used the wrong property from $wpdb to get the table prefix. This release fixes that bug and cleans up the code some. Thanks to Vince for helping track this down.
- Bug Fix: Options page only worked when your table prefix was ‘wp_’. Dynamically retrieves the table prefix now, and should work for all set-ups.
- Added an options page so that the admin can set the Role orphan users get when they are adopted. By default it will be the same as the default role for new registrations on that blog, but can be set to something different, if you choose.
- Added a proper readme.txt