wp-monalisa is the plugin that smiles at you like monalisa does. place the smilies of your choice in posts, pages or comments.
There are a lot plugins for smiley support out there and some of them are really useful.
Most of them don’t work out of the box and this is what wp-monalisa tries to achieve, giving you the ability to maintain your smilies and even turn them into img tags.
it’s easy and it smiles at you…what else do you want?
- maintain your smilies in a separate directory
- activate or deactivate smilies for posts or comments
- replace smilies with img tags
- extend or replace wordpress smiley replacement
- while edit posts or pages, pops-up in a draggable meta-box
- extends your comment form to give you visitors the freedom to smile 🙂
- support for fckeditor (tested with v3.3.1)
- fully integrated with BuddyPress
The video shows a short overview of what wp-monalisa can do for you.
Thanks go to all who support this plugin, with hints and suggestions for improvment and specially to
- Michal Maciejewski, polish translation
- Denny from http://www.vau3.de for testing and giving input for the BuddyPress integration
- FJ Bakry, Camisto (https://camisto.com) for indonesian translation
- Upload the contents of the zip archive to your plugins folder, usually wp-content/plugins/
, keeping the directory structure intact (i.e.wp-monalisa.php
should end up inwp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/`).
- Activate the plugin on the plugin screen.
- Visit the configuration page (wp-Monalisa) to configure the plugin (do not forget to check the comment forms id)
- Optional If you would like to change the style, just edit wp-monalisa.css
If you update from a former version please do not forget to deactivate and actiate the plugin once, since database changes will only take effect on activation. You settings will not be deleted during deactivation.
- Are there any Tutorials?
Yes, there are have a look at http://www.tuxlog.de/keinwindowsmehr/2009/wp-monalisa/ or try these screencasts to learn how to install, configure and use wp-monalisa
Import/Export of Smilies:
- The smilies for BuddyPress activities are only shown when the page is reloaded. Is this a bug?
No, BuddyPress uses local ajax to add new activities to your timeline. Therefore the earliest time the Smilies can be loaded is when the page is loaded from the server again.
- I can’t see the smilies in the notices shown in the sidebar of BuddyPress. What’s wrong?
Nothing, the current version of BuddyPress does not offer a filter to show the smilies in there. But there is a workaround editing one line of bb-messages-template.php, change line 546 to
message) )) ?>
or use the Activity-Stream-Widget for BuddyPress, which is supported by wp-monalisa
- wp-monalisa does not work with comments. What now?
Please, check and double check that the id given in the admin dialog of wp-monalisa is the correct id of the comment form textare. This can usually happen if you changed your theme.
- My smilies are gone? What’s wrong?
Plase check and double check the path to your smiley directory.
Work as intended.
I am using it with bbpress and it works like wow. Thanks to the plugin owner, fixed bugs so quick. Great support and service definitely recommeded.
I installed this plugin and works great! Give some new features to the site and for visitors who like to have extra to play with…
Giving 5 Stars to the happy faces!
Thanks for your plugin
We have been using the Monalisa plug-in for quite a while on our (non-profit) community site Scaffies.NL with over half a million users, and we are very happy with it.
It adds a nice and friendly touch to posts, replies, pages, and now even messages.
And we did give a small donation at the beginning already to show our appreciation (you should, too!).
Keep on rocking – we would like to do some custom smileys, content-related to the site, if that is possible!
Contributors & Developers
“wp-Monalisa” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- fixed bug with repeatig smilies on the same line
- make sure WP smilies are reactivated when plugin is deactivated
- added bulk actions to admin dialog
- added indonesian translation thanks to Fajar
- added some css to align smilies in both mode
- support for new bbPress textarea id
- added max width and/or height setting for icons
- added popup option to show the smilies
- fixed some PHP7 compatibility issues
- fixed incompatibility with WordPress emojis
- added russian translation
- fixed problem with activities in BuddyPress >= 2.3.2
- removed old support files from directory tree (directory support)
- secure post action in admin dialog
- added smilies to messages
- added support or GD bbPress tools signature
- fixed a layout issue with WordPress 4.2.
- added urkaine translation. thanks to Michael Yunat
- fixed visual TinyMCE 4 mode with bbPress
- added contextual help
- removed support dialog since it was used rarely
- adopt to TinyMCE 4
- added spanish translation. Thanks to Andrew Kurtis from WebHostingHub
- fixed some php warnings
- fixed problems with smilies and BuddyPress profiles
- added support to integrate smilies into bp profile messaging ux free plugin
- extended wpml to allow using :yes: and :YES: as different emoticons
- separate the support for bbPress and BuddyPress and support bbPress tinyMCE
- changed hint text to new WordPress labels
- extendd support of use from within php
- fixed bug with BuddyPress when using tables for output
- with special configurations smilies disappeared or where shown with wrong dimensions
- with special configurations smilies disappeared due to lack of dimensions
- added width and height attribute to img tags speeding up browser rendering if many smilies are used
- added deferred loading for the hidden smilies if pulldown smilies are active
- added “more…” Smilies are inserted when “more…” is clicked
- removed an incompatibility with Better WP Minify
- fixed warning during plugin activation
- swtiched to load_plugin_textdomain for compatibility
- load js only when applicable
- added support for BuddyPress (Acitivties, Messages, Notices, Groups, bbpress-Forums)
- extended multisite support for easier handling
- fixed a typo with trailing spaces in emoticons
- added default admin email to support form
- added theme name to support form
- work around a bug in bwp minify with jquery events
- add new support and donation feature
- add posibility to disable comments smilies on a single post/page
- use standard load for wordpress includes
- clean up more (maybe all?) html5 code errors for 3.3 compatibility
- now using wp_enqueue_style for css
- clean up html5 code errors for 3.3 compatibility
- removed russian translation because of a restricton from wordpress.org
- added hebrew translation thanks to Sagive
- added function get_wpml_comment() which returns the smiley-html-code to integrate within comment_form theme code
- added simple support for multisite installtions (smilies can be only maintained from mainblog and work on every blog which it is activated for)
- fixed a problem with wp 3.1 in network mode, due to a different search path the wrong setup.php was included
- added tooltip support for icons
- added support for fckeditor (tested with v3.3.1)
- fixed wrong initial value for show as table option
- added alt attribute to admin dialog icons (xhtml fix)
- set floating control div to display:none in wpml_comments.php
- added support for autoupdate to prevent auto delete of private smilies and custom css
- fixed undefined index warning in wpml_admin.php
- fixed invalid xhtml in admin dialog
- mark iconfiles not yet mapped with a star
- fixed invalid XHTML in admin dialog
- fixed strange behaviour when deactivating smilies on comments results in null
- added hint to deactivate wordpress smilies fpr wp-monalisa
- added russian translation
- added belorussian translation, thanks to ilyuha (http://antsar.info)
- added .pak export functionality
- divided smiley-list into pages (smiley list navigator using jquery ajax)
- changed readme to support new changelog feature at wordpress.org
- new option, smilies can also be output in a table (only for comments)
- added support for user specific css file to improve support for automatic update
- fixed handling of slashes in emoticons
- fixed handling of trailing spaces in emoticons
- insert smilies with trailing space to make sure the shortcodes can be found
- set default smiley to correct file name
- now png icons are also supported
- surpress showing smilies more than once if more than one shortcode is defined for the same file
- modified column width of column iconfile to 80
- fixed trimming whitespace from emoticons in admin dialog
- fixed replace algorithm, now search for longest substring first and can handle any whitespace situation
- renamed default icons with prefix wpml_ to get a more or less unique name and prevent override
- modified row width of column emoticon to 25
- add maxlength attribute=25 to input fields for emoticons
- added screenshot for import dialog
- styled admin dialog a bit more wordpress like (alternate background color for table, buttons outside the table, added checkall box)
- added alt attribute to img tags, to produce correct xhtml
- fixed german translation
- added import dialog to import phpbb3 smiley packages
- added space after shortcode insertion
- automatically extend array allowedtags when oncomment and replace options are set
- improve error handling with directory a bit
- added polish translation
- Initial release