WP MarkItUp! is the WordPress plugin that replaces the old “quicktags” toolbar with MarkItUp!, a lightweight jQuery plugin that allows to turn any textarea into an highly customizable markup editor. XHTML, Textile, Wiki, Markdown and BBcode toolbars are already provided out-of-the-box, but even your own markup syntax can be easily implemented with this system. The plugin currently features three different skins for the toolbar, new ones are about to come.
- Download the zipped plugin (the latest version will always be available at the WP MarkItUp! official page).
- Unzip it and upload the whole
wp_markitupdirectory to your
- Make sure the permissions on all .php files it are at least 755. If you can SSH, simply go to the
wp_markitupdirectory and type
find . -name '*.php' | xargs chmod 755. Alternatively, just use any FTP client (Filezilla, Cyberduck) to do it manually.
- Activate the plugin through the Plugins menu in WordPress.
- Go to the WP MarkItUp! setting page under the Settings section. Here you can choose the toolbar and the skin to activate from the available ones.
- There’s no step six. Enjoy your brand new 21st century editor 😉
- I have successfully deactivated the plugin, but the visual tinyMCE editor doesn’t show up!
You need to go to your Profile page, and check the “Use the visual editor when writing” option.
- How can I add my own personal tagset to the plugin?
You basically need to create a new directory inside the
/wp-content/plugins/wp_markitup/markitup/sets/directory containing the toolbar stylesheet
set.phpwhich is the markItUp! toolbar specification and
infos.php, a simple file used by the plugin to know if the tagset needs some external plugin to work.
Please note that
- How can I add a new skin/edit an existing one?
Even easier. You just need to have some basic CSS knowledge and have to look at the
wp_markitup/markitup/skins/directory. You’ll find a directory for each existing skin. Each dir will contain a stylesheet named
style.css. It’s common to see also an
imagesdirectory used by the stylesheet itself.
- I would like to become a WP MarkItUp! translator!
Great! You can start installing Poedit and opening the
wp_markitup/languages/markitup-it_IT.pofile with it. It’s all pretty straightforward. If you have problems or you want to submit me the finished translation, don’t hesitate to contact me.
- Feature Request/Bug Reporting
If you find any problems/bugs/annoyances or if you feel like something really important is missing, than please let me know commenting at the WP MarkItUp! official page. Thanks for the support!