WP Lynx allows you to create stylized links akin to those in Facebook. These stylized links, known as lynx prints, can contain a thumbnail image of any of the images on the linked page, plus a short excerpt from the page. The images are automatically cached on your server (no hot-linking), and the content is intelligently scraped.
Note: version 1.0.0 of this plugin requires PHP5.3 or newer.
WP Lynx now supports WordPress.org language packs. Want to translate WP Lynx? Visit WP Lynx’s WordPress.org translation project.
Please visit WP Lynx’s project page for installation and usage instructions.
We’ve been running this plugin for about 2-4 years now on various WP installations that need to pump out some news / updates from time to time and still have not found a plugin that does a better job at sharing small snippets of info. It captures the title, image & description very well and gives the user some additional customization options as well.
I get nothing but 403 and time out errors trying to use this plug-in.
The URLs I was using are loading better today. Now I need to figure out how to make it prettier.
Thank you for your responses here.
Contributors & Developers
“WP Lynx” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Release date: November 30th, 2016
- Behavior change: Migrated to WP HTTP class for URL parsing, removing external library dependency.
- New feature: Support for simultaneous multiple URL fetching added.
- New feature: Support for image previews of PDFs added for users with Imagick.
- Bug fix: Fixed issue where Lynx Prints would not insert into the post.
- Bug fix: Fixed issue where sites without a title tag would cause a PHP warning.
Release date: April 1st, 2016
- Bug fix: Fixed permissions issue on settings save in the settings page.
- Bug fix: Fixed additional PHP error in the uninstaller.
Release date: February 12th, 2016
- Bug fix: Fixed PHP error caused by calling the wrong class in the uninstaller.
- Bug fix: Fixed alignment issue of the main content of the settings page on WordPress 4.4.
- Bug fix: The Lynx Print adding interface now handles server side timeouts more gracefully.
Release date: November 23rd, 2015
- New feature: Added “Get” button to Lynx Print modal.
- New feature: Migrated to WordPress.org Language Pack compatible textdomain.
- Bug fix: Moved away from deprecated
- Bug fix: Fixed issue where the user specified Lynx Print template was not being used when inserting Lynx Prints.
- Bug fix: Added workaround for servers that by default send images with transport compression.
- Bug fix: Fixed issue with adding Lynx Prints when there is more than one editor field.
Release date: September 20th, 2014
- Behavior change: Requires PHP 5.3 or newer.
- Behavior change: Requires WordPress 3.8 or newer.
- New feature: New Lynx Print adding interface, a la the new media interface in WordPress 3.5.
- New feature: Allow users to configure number of redirects followed by the scaping engine.
- New feature: Migrate to the latest mtekk_adminKit.
- New feature: Reorganized/written core plugin files.
- New feature: Include minified scripts and styles for non-development environments, see SCRIPT_DEBUG.
- Bug fix: Added workaround which should make it difficult for new Lynx Prints to be inserted within existing Lynx Prints in a post.
Release date: April 20th, 2013
- New feature: Added support for site thumbnails using Snapito!
- New feature: Migrated to latest mtekk_adminKit, brings new tab style to settings page.
- New feature: Simplified and reorganized the settings page.
- Bug fix: Fixed some PHP warnings from
llynx_scrapewhen the scraped site did not behave as expected.
- Bug fix: Fixed PHP warnings from
llynx_scrapewhen the site contains img tags without
Release date: May 28th, 2012
- New feature: Support for Open Graph protocol og:image and og:description.
- New feature: Added a warning message on the Lynx Print adding screen alerting to thumbnails being disabled due to directory permission issues.
- Bug fix: Improved content scraping algorithms to handle newlines in odd places (mid tag).
- Bug fix: Fixed issue with the Show/Hide links not working correctly.
Release date: April 8th, 2012
- Behavior change: Improved content filtering, should reduce the chances that garbage is selected as paragraph stubs.
- Behavior change: Included style is now a separate CSS file rather than an inline CSS file.
- Behavior change: Import/Export/Reset tab moved under the admin bar Help menu.
- New feature: More useful Help menu, utilizing the new WordPress 3.3 Help menu.
- Bug fix: Tabs on the settings page are now rounded for all modern browsers, including Firefox, Chrome, and IE9.
- Bug fix: Tabs on the settings page are now remembered between setting saves (including multiple saves from within the same tab).
Release date: February 25th, 2011
- New feature: Templated Lynx Prints now available.
- New feature: Tinyurl URL shortening now available.
- New feature: TinyMCE button added when in full screen editing mode.
- New feature: Added Help tab to Lynx Print adding screen.
- New feature: Any whitespace character may be used to separate multiple URLs.
- Bug fix: Fixed issue where PHP warnings would arise if the remote server did not return the expected data range.
- Bug fix: Permissions issues for the WordPress Upload directory are handled more gracefully.
Release date: November 4th, 2010
- Bug fix: Installer now works properly for first time users.
Release date: September 27th, 2010
- New feature: Lynx Prints are now styled in the WordPress visual editor.
- New feature: Users are now warned if settings are out of date, allowed to do a one click settings migration.
- New feature: Can now undo setting saves, resets, and imports.
- Bug fix: Blank images should no longer load as thumbnail candidates.
Release date: July 28th, 2010
- Bug fix: Improved CURL Error reporting.
- Bug fix: Fixed issue with non UTF-8 or ASCII encoded sites.
- Bug fix: Fixed issue with CURL and PHP in safe_mode.
Release date: June 14th, 2010
- Initial Public Release