If you would like a Google search feature on your WordPress site, you only need to register to Google Custom Search, get your Google Search Engine ID, and enter it in the plugin settings page.
Then your custom search engine is ready for use, just put the new Google search-box widget on the sidebar, and enjoy it!
In this way the plugin enables you to insert Google search engine into your website, or a collection of websites easily. You can search both web pages and images.
You can define if you want to search only inside your site (or given sites), or the entire web.
It is possible to customize your search features, the look and feel (layout, themes, custom colors and fonts, thumbnails), and many more.
All these settings can be specified on the Google Custom Search Engine admin site: https://www.google.com/cse/
Your changes will appear instantly on your site automatically.
After you registered to Google Custom Search Engine and get your Google Search Engine ID, you need to enter the ID in the plugin settings page: Settings -> WP Google Search
Use WP Google Search widget or [wp_google_searchbox] shortcode to place search box on your site.
Search results can be displayed on a normal page or in a popup window. Use Full Width layout or Overlay (popup) layout on Google Custom Search Admin site to setup it.
It does not require any coding, or other complicated operation.
- Spanish – translated by Ogi Djuraskovic – http://firstsiteguide.com
- Serbian – translated by Ogi Djuraskovic – http://firstsiteguide.com
- Portuguese (BR) – translated by Gabriel Froes
- Swedish – translated by Tobias – http://ComClick.se
- Danish – translated by Alexander Leo-Hansen – http://alexanderleohansen.dk
- Russian – translated by Timofeev Ilya
- Upload the plugin to the ‘/wp-content/plugins/’ directory.
- Activate it through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Register to Google Custom Search Engine and get your Google Search Engine ID here: https://www.google.com/cse/
- Enable the plugin and enter Google Search Engine ID: Settings -> WP Google Search (See screenshots for more information.)
So how does the existing tags and categories work when this plugin is added?
Does it include an option to add checkboxes for existing tags and categories, much like the default wordpress search options?
Thanks for this plugin.
I couldn’t get this to work on my website SoccerMovieMom.com. I added the WP Goosgle Search menu item to my Twenty Sixteen sidebar. However, when I did a search, the search result said that it couldn’t find the page.
The plugin had other problems. I am having layout issues with the Google search field and buttons. This plugin was no help with that problem. In addition, the plugin does not include any thumbnails.
Very good plugin. I does what it needs to do!
Thank you to the developer for this plugin! It is odd that there are several plugins in the WP plugin repository that purport to allow simple integration of Google’s custom search engine, but this is the only one I have gotten to work after trying all of them. It is clean and simple. Users should expect to have some finagling to do with CSS depending on the theme chosen. Also, FYI, I have noticed that the Crystal content filter blocks rendering of the Google search box on iOS Safari.
Contributors & Developers
“WP Google Search” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Add Russian translation
- Add target link blank option
- Add Swedish translation
- Add Danish translation
- Add “Support Overlay Display” option, for display search results in overlay window, without loading another page.
- Portuguese (BR) translation
- Re-create search page during re-activation if it does not exist
- Use new HTML5-valid div tags according to Google documentation: You can use HTML5-valid div tags as long as you observe these guidelines: The class attribute must be set to gcse-XXX, Any attributes must be prefixed with data-.
- Eliminate Enable plugin checkbox in settings page
- Eliminate donation button inside settings page
- Descriptions are added to settings page
- Spanish and Serbian translations
- First version