WP GIF Player is an easy to use GIF Player for WordPress. It prevents GIF-files from loading on page load, boosting your page load time.
- Adds the GIF button on your animated media
- Does play
- Does stop
- Loads GIF-files on-demand for faster page load times
- Plays only one GIF at a time
- Creates preview images automatically
- GIFs can be added easily with the Add GIF Button
- Supports parallel uploads
- Simple installation
- Easily limit maximum screen size of your GIF
The installation process.
Upload the plugin to your blog. Click “activate plugin”. That’s it.
- Start using WP-GIF-Player by adding a GIF via the “Add GIF” button in your editor screen
- Limit maximum width by changing width=”…” parameter in the shortcode (150 – 600 in steps of 50)
In the settings you can choose whether you like WP GIF Player to create a preview pic for your article.
- You will have to use the WP standard editor to add gifs to your post
- If you deactivate or uninstall WP GIF Player, instead of the media, the shortcode [WPGP gif_id=”..” width=”600″] will appear in your posts. To replace shortcodes with your media you will have to edit these posts manually (An automated solution is planed but we can’t guaranteed that it will work on posts created with this version of WP GIf Player).
- WP GIF Player will not work automatically on your existing gif-posts (you can review them manually)
- LazyLoad will not work on WP GIF Player preview pictures
** We are still in beta, use at your own risk. **
This plugin comes with a few settings regarding the automatic setting of thumbnails, which you can find in your WP Admin screen
at “Settings -> WP GIF Player”.
You can choose between the following options for your GIF posts:
- Set no thumbnail at all (e.g. if you don’t display thumbnails in your theme)
- Set the first frame of the first GIF in your post as the thumbnail (e.g. if you want a still image and not a whole GIF to display as the thumbnail)
- Set the first GIF in your post as the thumbnail
- You can be the first one!
Works perfectly and super easy to integrate. Thanks!
I search many time gif player and found, thanks authors, if you have gifs in your site, this plugin for you solution.
Worked like a charm.
There were a few minor visual bugs—a few of which I’ve submitted GitHub PRs for—but I’m giving this 5 stars anyway. This type of a feature is crucial for having a fast, usable, and accessible site, and I’d love to see this type of feature eventually get into core.
Bravo! Please keep this plugin going!
A great, easy and light plugin ! Does exactly what it says.
Fun note : the pop-up is in german 😉
Contributors & Developers
“WP GIF Player” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Added support for custom gif alt attribute, which can be set on your image(s) through the media library
- Added support for jQuery 3.x
- Updated gif wrapper to a link, allowing title “Click to play” to be shown on hover and improved mobile support
- Updated comment formatting
- Updated gettext functions in concatenated string _e() to __()
- Removed ending
adding CSS margin to control space below from next element
- Fixed “GIF” button styling issue and added fallback
- Maximum width feature added
- First public beta