WP-FacebookConnect adds Facebook functionality to WordPress using the
Facebook Connect APIs. Features include:
- Single-signon with your Facebook account
- Publish comments to the newsfeed
- Comment avatars display Facebook profile photos
– Add a “Like” button to posts
– No longer set user_email because it no longer works, and overwrites
– Template bundles have been replaced with the stream.publish API.
Any template customizations will need to be updated for this API.
Please see the
CHANGES file for information that may be useful when
upgrading from an older release.
A note on ‘nofollow’
When a Facebook Connect user posts a comment the author field of the
comment will link back to that user’s public profile page at Facebook.
For instance, my comments link back to
To reduce spamming WordPress automatically adds the nofollow attribute
to all comment links, but this is undesirable when the links are
generated by a trusted source (e.g the plugin). For this reason the
plugin will remove the nofollow attribute from all Facebook user
comments. This is configurable on the Settings page.
- The login status box (“Welcome, youname”) has a fixed size instead
of expanding to fit the name.
- Support avatars and newsfeed for blog posters.
- Notification when a friend comments on the same article you have.
- Widget to display your friends that have visited the blog.
- Widget to invite friends to read the article.
How Does it Work?
The first time a user selects the “Connect” button the plugin will
create a new wordpress user named ‘fbN’, where N is a Facebook user
id. The Facebook user id is also stored in the wp_usermeta table
under the key ‘fbuid’. The plugin can securely identify the Facebook
user because it recieved signed session cookies along with the
Once the WordPress and Facebook account are linked and the Facebook
userid is verified the plugin sets a WordPress login cookie. The page
reloads and at this point the user will be logged into the blog.
Most login state handling occurs in fbc_init_auth.
Please see http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/index.php/WP-FBConnect
for up-to-date FAQs.