This plugin lets you add the custom post templates in your WordPress custom post type. You can easily apply your custom post template in custom post type single page like page template.
The templates are defined similarly to page templates, and will replace single.php for the specified post.
Admin can select multiple custom post type where they want to apply custom post template.(i.e. you can choose a template which is not single.php).
Easily managed through the admin area.
Admin can use default setting for the custom post type plugin by simply clicking on default setting button.
First note: Page templates use “Template Name:”, whereas custom post templates use “WP Post Template:”.
Second note: You must have the custom post template files in your theme in the same directory/folder as your index.php template file, not in a sub-directory/sub-folder.
Select custom post type where you need to show the post template.
Select default setting to show post template in your theme default post type.
By default post template show in wordpress default post type : ‘post’.
- Login into your WordPress admin panel
- Navigate to Plugins => Add New
- Click Upload
- Click Choose File and select the wp-custom-post-template.zip.
- Click Install Now.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Go to Dashboard => WP Post Template and set your general setting.
- To create new custom Post Template you need to put the new file in the same directory/folder as your index.php and just need to add comment (WP Post Template: Your New Post Template Name) in your new post template file same as you do for page template.
- Deactivate WP Post Template in the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- After Deactivation a ‘Delete’ link appears below the plugin name, follow the link and confim with ‘Yes, Delete these files’.
- This will delete all the plugin files from the server as well as erasing all options the plugin has stored in the database.
Write an email us on : firstname.lastname@example.org
I organise my templates in a specific directory and this doesn’t work with this plugin, as you require me to have them in the top level theme directory.
Second point, you add clutter to the admin menus, by having the plugin’s own menu. You should have put this in the settings area, as you only have 2 settings…
Thks so much
Won’t work with the newest version of WP (4.4.2) using a Child Theme. Drop down menu doesn’t appear on the edit Post page.
Works great! Thanks!
Hello to the developer, can you please kindly check if there is an issue with the plugin. Suddenly the post templates are not showing.
Here is the screenshot on my backend
Hope that you can help.
Contributors & Developers
“WP Custom Post Template” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
1.1 – 2015-07-18
- Updated according to new wp version functions.
- A intial version.