This plugin allows you to select a main category (or taxonomy) for your posts for nicer permalinks and SEO.
What it does. A custom structure such as /%category%/%postname%/ should be usually chosen for your permalinks. By default, this %category% is selected automatically (using the lowest ID) in the case your post is assigned to more than one category. This plugin will let you pick the category of your choice from the ‘Post Edit’ page. The chosen category is shown in bold on the ‘Posts List’ page and the ‘Post Edit’ page.
Post list. Below the title, you will see the permalink currently set-up for this entry. If a heart is present, it means that the category (or taxonomy) has been picked up.
Pro Version. Features added based on requests from users are made available in the Pro version. For now, the Pro adds support for custom post type and custom taxonomy support (gallery plugins or themes, WooCommerce, etc). Learn more on https://meowapps.com/wp-category-permalink/.
Breadcrumbs. They have their own way of working and can’t be supported automatically by default because they are created by specific themes or plugins. If you encounter issues with breadcrumbs, please say so in the Support Threads and let’s see how we can make it work.
Please ask your questions in the forum and I will add them here 🙂
I searched high and low for ages looking for a plugin that does exactly what this one does. I was overjoyed when I found it AND when I saw how easy it is to use. There are plugins that let you do away with having the category name in the permalink altogether, but WordPress does not recommend it because of its structure and I think it's good to have categories in the links of products. Most of the products on my website are in more than one category. Now, just by clicking on an image of a heart next to the category list, I can tell WordPress which category (or subcategory) I want in my product permalink. Thank you Jordy for this incredible plugin. It should be in the top ten of "must haves" for WP.
- Fix: Trailing slashes.
- Fix: Display issues (heart icon was flying all over the place).
- Fix: Permalinks are handled in a much better way. More support for other plugins for custom permalinks.
- Fix: Handle events on the label instead of the li. Inject the link into the label too.
- Update: Additional error handling.
- Update: Enhance the way the post meta is handled.
- Fix: Now newly created categories can be selected.
- Fix: Pro version validation.
- Fix: The permalink below the title was showing a warning even though the category has been picked with a previous version of the plugin.
- Fix: The categories were not bold nor red on the Posts list. With Pro, that also works with WooCommerce well 🙂
- Fix: Issue from the past. If you can’t seem to save your columns, you might need to run the query “DELETE FROM
meta_keyLIKE ‘%wp_manageedit%'” on your DB, just once, to repair the View Screen options.
- Fix: Issue with multisite (with the includes).
- Add: Permalink shown below the title of the posts list (can be disabled in the option). Heart means a category has been picked, otherwise a little red warning is shown.
- Update: A lot of coding & UI improvements.
- Fix: Infinite hidden columns to user meta (https://wordpress.org/support/topic/infinite-user-meta).
- Fix: Update issue for non-WooCommerce user.
- Change: Let’s make it 2.0 since it’s a major change.
- Stable release.
- Add: default category will be shown in red if no category was picked.