This plugin purges your varnish cache when content is added or edited. This
includes when a new post is added, a post is updated or when a comment is
posted to your blog.
To keep widgets like “Recent posts”, “Recent comments” and such up to date,
you should consider using ESI and include them through a text widget for
arbitrary text or HTML.
- Does this just work?
- But how should my varnish configuration file look like?
I have provided a simple VCL that can be used as a reference.
- Does it work for Multi-Site (or WPMU)?
Yes. Activating the plugin site-wide will provide the functionality to all
blogs. Configuration can be done on the blogs individually, or can be global.
If you want to configure Varnish servers globally, edit wp-config.php and
include these lines just before “That’s all, stop editing!” message:
$varnish_servers = array(‘192.168.0.1:80:secret’,’192.168.0.2:80:secret’);
The varnish servers array will configure multiple servers for sending the
purges. If VARNISH_SHOWCFG is defined, configuration will be shown to all
users who access the plugin configuration page (but they can’t edit it).
- My Plugins are seeing the Varnish server’s IP rather than the websurfer IP
You could install Apache’s mod_rpaf module: http://stderr.net/apache/rpaf/
or, in wp-config.php, near the top, put the following code:
$temp_ip = explode(',', isset($_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR']) ? $_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR'] : (isset($_SERVER['HTTP_CLIENT_IP']) ? $_SERVER['HTTP_CLIENT_IP'] : $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'])); $remote_addr = trim($temp_ip); $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] = preg_replace('/[^0-9.:]/', '', $remote_addr );
The code takes some of the common headers and replaces the REMOTE_ADDR
variable, allowing plugins that use the surfer’s IP address to see the
surfer’s IP rather than the server’s IP.
- Added secret handling to WPVarnishPurgeObject, Thanks Kit Westneat
- Change WPVarnishPurgePurgeCommonObjects to WPVarnishPurgeCommonObjects,
- added @ to supress Undefined offset notice
- minor doc changes
- Added purge when post changes from future to publish, Thanks Marcin Pietrzak
- Added purge when theme switched, Thanks dupuis
- Fixed multisite domain mapping purge, Thanks jasonheffner
- Updated Finnish Translation, Thanks timoleinio
- Removed plugins_loaded action as it doesnt do what was expected re: Issue
#12. Thank you Ben Favre, Pothi Kalimuthu and allinwonder
- New .vcl to fix purge as per Issue #39, Thanks Ed Cooper
- added rule to skip caching 404s in vcl
- WordPress-Varnish UserAgent as per ticket #23
- document use of mod_rpaf or code fix for remote IP, Ticket #36
- clean data rather than reject to fix ticket #31
- added plugins_loaded hook to fix ticket #12
- Added internationalization code. Included pt_BR translation.
- Support to Multi-Site and WPMU with global configuration.
- Fix on URL purges for multiple domains and blogs on sub-directories.
- Code clean up on some functions.
- Added configuration for purging all blog, page and comments navigation.
- Added multiple servers support and timeout configuration.
- Initial release.