Better video accessibility everywhere.
Display video transcripts next to embeds, toggle between two videos, and display a site-wide statement all in a single block.
- Display a scrollable video transcript next to a video embed. Upload a plain text file transcript or create one in admin.
- Switch the embed player to display a second video. Ideal for displaying audio-described and non-audio-described versions of a video.
- Display a site-wide statement next to each embed.
- Responsive one or two column layout
- Intuitive block that supports two videos and multiple sidebar panels
- Customizable colors and fonts – block inherits existing site styles
Improve site-wide video accessibility by
- Displaying transcripts next to embeds
- Providing the ability to switch between two videos in the same embed (which allows for seamless display of audio-described and non-audio-described video)
- Presenting a site-wide message (which could be your site’s accessibility statement)
Automatically adds the schema.org VideoObject schema to Video and Vimeo embed blocks. For the YouTube embed block, a YouTube API key can be added to the plugin settings page to fetch video data. For more information please read YouTube developer documentation and terms.
The following VideoObject schema will be added:
- embedUrl or contentUrl
This plugin provides 12 blocks.
- Video accessibility An video accessibility block
- Controls Video accessibility panel controls
- Aside Video accessibility aside
- Accessibility Statement Accessibility statement generated from the settings page.
- Transcript Transcript within a video accessibility block.
- Aside Default Default sidebar panel content.
- Secondary video The video that will display upon toggle button click
- Panels Video accessibility panels
- Panel Allows for a button triggering expanded/collapsed rich text content.
- Primary The video that will initially be displayed.
- Control Video accessibility panel control
- WordPress 6.2 or greater
- PHP version 8.0 or greater
- WordPress 6.4.2 or greater
- PHP version 8.0 or greater
Installation and Usage
- Install using the WordPress built-in Plugin installer, or extract the zip file and drop the contents in the wp-content/plugins/ directory of your WordPress installation.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Configure settings via Dashboard > Settings > Video Accessibility. The YouTube API key is optional. The Default Video Statement allows for a site-wide statement to be displayed in the block. This could be used for something such as an accessibility standards statement.
- Navigate to any post, page or custom post type item. Using any block insertion method, add the Video Accessibility block.
- Select a One column or Two column Layout as well as whether default panel content should display. The default content supports core text, image, media & text, and buttons blocks.
- Add Primary Video and Secondary Video data into the blocks.
- Edit Toggle Button text: text that displays initially in the video toggle switch button.
- Edit Secondary Button text: the text that displays after the button has been clicked.
- Edit Transcript: Selecting this button for editing will also display the corresponding Transcript panel block. This area is where a transcript plain text file could be imported or this block also supports core text, image and buttons blocks.
- Edit Accessibility Statement: Selecting this button for editing will also display the corresponding Accessibility Statement panel block. This area is where the text from the plugin settings is displayed. Optionally edit this block on an as-needed with core text, image and buttons blocks.
Contributors & Developers
“Video Accessibility” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Fix Missing build files
- Update Docs
- New – Add settings link to the plugin page
- New – readme updates
- New – missing build folder
- WordPress 6.4.1 testing
- Initial release