Notice: I've have since stopped development of this plugin as I feel that the state of URL Shortening services seems to have converged and there isn't much more progress I have in the pipeline for this plugin.
URL Shortener allows you to generate shortlinks for post/pages using URL Shorteners (e.g. Bit.ly, Su.pr and many others), with a few additional features.
Please check your settings when upgrading to Version 4.0 from previous versions prior to it.
What's New with 4.0
- QR Code Support (using Google Chart API)
- Additional Shorteners (Goo.gl, dlvr.it, yourls)
- Nice ID links with QR Code (i.e. http://your_site/123.qr)
- Version 4.0 features completely refactored code once again. Now includes classes which allows developers to easily extend the plugin.
- Automatic generation of a Short URL/Shortlinks
- Cached Shortlink - thus generated only once.
- Choose to generate shortlinks using permalinks or the posts ID (e.g. http://your_site/index.php?p=123).
- Relatively extensive shortlink support
- Action Hooks available for other plugins to utilize generated shortlinks (From Ver 3.0 Onwards)
- Nice ID links - http://your_site/123 instead of http://your_site/index.php?p=123
- Shortcode support (Ver 3.1): Place [shortlink] in your article where you want to display the shortened url.
- Append a link to short URL below your post content (Ver 3.1.1)
Refer to the documentation/wiki page at http://wiki.fusedthought.com/docs/url-shortener-wordpress-plugin for more information (eg. installation guide and known issues etc).
Services currently supported are:
- goo.gl (beta)
- snipurl / Snurl / Snipr / Sn.im / Cl.lk
- smsh (aka sm00sh)
- Interdose API
- Ping.fm (Will be suspended until they reopen their API)
Available Template Tags
On-demand shortening function:
<?php fts_shorturl('http://www.google.com', 'bitly'); ?>
To show the generated links::
<?php fts_show_shorturl($post); ?>
Or if WordPress 3.0:
<?php the_shortlink(); ?>
Available hooks and filters
- fts_use_shortlink (Action Hook)
- fts_filter_shortlink (Filter)
Future Versions and on:
- More services/features can be added upon request (http://code.google.com/p/url-shortener-plugin/issues/list)
- Do note that due to my increasing need to concentrate on my studies, and a lack of financial contribution from such plugin development, I cannot possibly accede to all requests.