Embed Twitter content, improve sharing on Twitter, convert your web audience into Twitter or Periscope subscribers, and easily track visits to your website from Twitter advertising.
Requires PHP version 5.4 or greater.
Embed Twitter content
Embed Twitter content by pasting a URL, customizing a shortcode, or in a widget area.
- single Tweet
- single Tweet with video template
- profile timeline
- list timeline
- search timeline
Customize embed display to match your theme. Choose a light or dark background, customize link and border colors, and customize timeline template components through your site’s WordPress administrative interface.
Grow your Twitter audience
Automatically generate link previews for your site’s URLs shared on Twitter using Twitter Cards markup . Easily identify your site and author Twitter accounts through your site and user administrative interfaces.
Add a Tweet button to public posts to encourage your visitors to share your content on Twitter. Visitors may see recommended accounts to follow after sharing your content including your site and its authors.
Add a Follow button to convert your site visitors into Twitter subscribers.
Add a Periscope On Air button to convert your site visitors into Periscope subscribers.
Improve Twitter advertising campaigns
Easily add a Twitter website tag to your website to track the effectiveness and conversion rates of Twitter advertising campaigns or build tailored audiences to target your Twitter advertisements for your website audience.
Docs and active development
Contribute to the plugin, submit pull requests, or run test suites through the Twitter plugin for WordPress GitHub repository.
View Twitter for WordPress documentation to learn more about customization through WordPress filters.
- How can I change an embedded Tweet’s background and link colors to match my site’s theme?
The Twitter plugin for WordPress includes a settings page with options to set a light or dark theme and choose a link or border color used in embedded Tweets and timelines.
- My custom link color and border color do not appear in embedded Tweets or timelines
You may have configured an embedded search timeline widget with a non-default link color. Your stored widget configuration overrides your page or theme’s configuration.
- Does the Twitter plugin add additional tracking of my site’s visitors?
The Twitter plugin for WordPress makes it easier to explicitly include Twitter features and functionality on your WordPress site. No additional tracking is added as a result of our plugin code’s execution on your server(s).
Twitter advertising trackers are only included on the page when invoked by the site using the
twitter_trackingshortcode or placing the Twitter advertising shortcode in a widget area. Read more about Twitter’s policies for conversion tracking and tailored audiences products.
Similar to the standard native Twitter embeds, but with more options. Can be used in a widget in several ways, including twitter list, twitter profile and twitter follow button. There’s also a separate option to add it to every post. No token needed, unlike some other WordPress Twitter plugins, so you can use any twitter feed(s). My only complaint is that I had difficulty customising the link colours.
Total wast of time.
If you can collect all functions in a widget, it will be the best plugin for twitter. Thanks.
Difficult to work with, limited options, in general, a disappointment. No option to adjust the number of tweets displayed, also couldn’t use CSS override the font size in the header. Basic stuff.
I expected more from the “official” Twitter plugin, but this is not user-friendly at all.
needs more control/ flexibility over the pages that this appears on, its just a blanket install on every page. makes it pretty pointless for any site more than just a blog
reverting to the standard theme version
Did I miss something? Not according to the installation instructions. Installed, entered twitter name and there is no widget in the widget area other than a button. Where is the twitter feed option?
Contributors & Developers
“Twitter” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Tweet button: update expected length of a wrapped t.co URL with HTTP scheme
- Support expanded post metadata descriptors in WordPress 4.6+. Includes REST API support for custom Tweet button and Twitter Cards values
- Fix post metadata deletion for custom Tweet button and Twitter Card text
- Embed a profile timeline, list timeline, or collection by pasting a URL, customizing a shortcode, or a widget
- Embed a search timeline by shortcode or widget using a widget ID configured on Twitter.com
- Upgrade Twitter advertising tracker to universal website tag
- Twitter Cards include image alternative text when available
- Follow button and Periscope On Air button use post author or site username if no username specified
- Improved compatibility with WordPress.com / Jetpack formatting of
- Prefer wp_resource_hints API for DNS prefetch in WordPress 4.6+
- Update single Tweet with video to remove status customization no longer supported by Twitter
- Fix bug when a large featured image is highlighted in a Twitter Card
- Describe site username option for WordPress REST API in WordPress 4.7
- Bump minimum WordPress version to 4.1
- Place Twitter administrative menu as a general menu item, not the deprecated utility menu. WordPress 4.5 compatibility feature
- Use publish.twitter.com oEmbed API endpoint for single Tweet oEmbed
- Remove Tweet button options for share count and align display, matching Twitter’s changes
- Convert Twitter profile URLs into a Follow button
- Enable language packs loaded from WordPress.org
- Display multiple Tweets in a media-rich responsive grid template by pasting a Twitter collection URL
- Add a Periscope On Air button through a widget, shortcode, or as an embed handler for a Periscope profile URL
- Add a Vine through a URL or shortcode
- Shortcode UI integration now uses the
register_shortcode_uiaction introduced in Shortcake 0.5.0
- Embed a Twitter Moment by simply pasting a URL
- Twitter announced photo, gallery, and product Twitter Cards are no longer supported. Removed from plugin
- Add Shortcake plugin compatibility for form-based shortcode construction and previews
- Improved Twitter Card image compatibility
- Display admin notice if plugin is installed on a site not meeting minimum PHP requirement
- Disable Tweet button the_content wrapper when called during excerpt generation
- Tweet button: add support for via shortcode attribute
- Fix: save Follow button widget with no overrides
- Embedded Tweet
- Embedded Tweet with video template
- Tweet button
- Twitter Cards
- Follow button
- Advertising tracker for Twitter custom audiences and ad conversion